Can anyone answer this question?

Options
I have been going to the gym for about a month now, I haven't gone in about 5 days. Is that okay to do? I was going to start going back on Saturday which is in two more days. Any advice?

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    What is your goal and what do you do at the gym to accomplish this goal?
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your usual workout was prior to the 5 day break. It typically takes about a week of non-exercise to start to see slips in muscle strength but you can gain some poundage during that time depending on your eating habits. Your cardiovascular endurance can take a hit pretty quickly, much faster than your muscles. The good thing is that once you start the drop off towards where you've worked to is slower. You might have made some changes in about a month but I don't think 5 days of inactivity is going to hurt your strength that much but your lungs and heart may feel it initially.
  • MrsHanson7421
    MrsHanson7421 Posts: 7 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Well im trying to loose 40pounds before 8.12.16 it's working out amazingly. I have already lost 25pounds sense I started 4.30.16 I have a trainer that gives me tips and shows me how and what to do. I mainly lift and add cardio with abs. I eat healthy and drink lots of water. I just wanna know if it's okay that I haven't been to the gym in 5 days. I don't play when I'm their either. I drip in sweat and work my butt off! Lol
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    What do you mean, "Is that okay to do?" I mean, why are you asking? Just go. It will be okay.
  • MrsHanson7421
    edited May 2016
    Options
    cmriverside, I just wanted some reassurance. That's why I asked for "advice" I wanna know if ill loose the muscle I have gained.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It's OK to go back to the gym. It's better to go few times a week rather than skip a week but it happens.
  • Anaris2014
    Anaris2014 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't expect to be able to do (both in terms of weights and cardio) what you could do a week ago. Depending on the reason for your absence (i.e poor health) I would be particularly mindful of easing back into it - especially cardio work.

I'm doing the same thing this evening actually - I've been out for about 2 weeks. I'm going back tonight but I'll make sure I don't push myself too hard (both because I may not be back to full health, and I know I will have lost strength and fitness in that time.

You mention that you'd been going to the gym for a month - but it depends on what you were doing before then as to what you can expect after a week's break. I would expect that your recovery will be fairly quick with only a week out.
  • MrsHanson7421
    Options
    Thanks wilsonic16 that's all I wanted to know! Appreciate the advice.
  • MrsHanson7421
    Options
    Anaris2014, okay thank you! Just wanted to make sure. Appreciate the advice!
  • mecoconleche
    mecoconleche Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Don't worry you won't lose any muscle, but the neural adaptations your body made to adjust to lifting may take a hit