Restaurants and Fast Food

Options

Replies

• RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    When I think of the other things I could eat with the calories of a Big Mac.....well....
  • DylsGrandma
    DylsGrandma Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    When I am really wanting a burger I get the Cheeseburger Kids Meal at McDonald's. It is about 415 calories for the whole meal if you get the kiddie fries and apple slices. The serving of fries is very small but enough to satisfy the craving.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    RobD520 wrote: »
    When I think of the other things I could eat with the calories of a Big Mac.....well....

563, go ahead. It's not a whole pizza or something.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    For fast food, I like McDonald's egg mcmuffin with no cheese for 250 calories. Add a hash brown for another 150. Chicfila has grilled chicken nuggets for something like 140 calories. Otherwise the kids meal size at any place will give you a nice taste without going calorie crazy, usually. Applebees has a healthy section where they list the calories on the menu. Their Thai Chicken Salad is 380 calories and absolutely fantastic.
  • heatherheyns
    heatherheyns Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    My biggest tip is to decide what you want first and prelog it. I can stick to a plan very well, but if I walk in hungry, it seems all my good intentions go out the door. Also, get what you like. You're helping no one if you order something you don't like to try and be good. Often you'll end up binging later. I plan in what sounds good and work my day or even week around it.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that calories posted on fast food menus and websites might be inaccurate. Personally, I add 15-20% just to be on the safe side.
  • chastity0921
    chastity0921 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Salads are often not a good option calorically, especially if you decide to add dressing. Just make sure you look up nutrition information.

I like Chik-Fil-A side salads. When I wasn't vegetarian I would get the Wendy's chili and dump it on a baked potato or salad. Kiddie finger meals from Zaxby's. Grilled chicken sandwich with a fruit cup from Chik-Fil-A. Kid's meal turkey and cheese from Arby's. We have a place called Zoe's Kitchen that is pretty good, and they have veggie kebobs. That's about it... Otherwise, I splurge or eat at home.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Go to: Chickfilet Grilled Nuggets, side salad and yes I do split the waffle fries with my husband. This is usually 700 calories. or Wendy's plain baked potato and small chilli around 650 calories (I do not do their butter). Zaxby's plain wings (bring home and season my self), I do get the potato chips and split it again. Arby's I still do beef n cheddar and potato cakes.

You see I still get pretty much the fries and I usually make these come out to 750 calories or less. I never get fast food alone.
  • jenniferpiotrowski0
    jenniferpiotrowski0 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Since I can't deal with the idea of having a bun free burger or no Mayo or deconstructing something just so its healthier or lower in calories or avoiding drinks I like what I usually do works very well for me..what I do is surf the menu for something I like that might be on the healthier side too like if I want a chicken pita or wrap I will go for grilled chicken instead of breaded or something but a lot of times I want what I want,so what I do is eat and drink half of everything I order,including fries and whatever you drink unless its calorie free like water. I do also look up nutrition info either online,or on myfitnesspal before,and while at the restaurant so I can have a basic idea of how many calories are in the foods but half the time I'm pressed fortime but after eating only half the food I'm served..usually I don't have to worry too much about having enough calories later in the day. Also if whoever your eating out with happens to go walking around a mall or somewhere where you know you'll be walking for a couple hours with them or even at a store..use that to your advantage by using a pedometer app synced to myfitnesspal to count your steps and earn the calories you burn while walking around so it gives you extra calories. Every little step counts!
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    RobD520 wrote: »

563, go ahead. It's not a whole pizza or something.

Practically a salad compared to a whopper ;)
  • senennieves
    senennieves Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    i usually go to subway and get the double chicken chopped salad which is excelent, or any of their 6 grams of fat or less 6 inch subs, just make sure no mayo and i get bottled water, at mcdonalds i get grilled chicken southwest salad with low fat italian dressing, at wendys i get the grilled chicken sandwich no mayo and water.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I have tricks, standards, and routines developed over a long time. I drink water, unsweetened tea, or black coffee. I show my Palm and say, 'no bread please'. I look first for a lean protein, preferably vegetarian. Then I search for vegetables and fruits. I try to double the vegetables. If there is a small unsweetened whole grain option, I'll consider it. Sauces and dressings are ordered with a spoon. One spoonful and the napkin goes over the rest. My favorite breakfast place has a scrambled egg smothered in grilled vegetables. It comes with toast, which I substitute with a cup of plain oatmeal with skim milk. One of my favorite lunch places has quinoa salad and 2 veggie kabobs. It makes 2 meals, so I take half home. Another has a lovely tub of hummus (minus the pitas) and steamed vegetables, which they will double. I once went to a sports bar with burger - eating friends and ordered a naked veggie burger and a double order of grilled green beans. It was the envy of the table! I drank water. I'm always surprised how satisfied I feel after eating a healthy meal at a restaurant. At first I was put off by negative reactions and comments, but now I've collected a brain full of comical comments, head shaking, and eye rolling and it's become fun.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    For me, I do best if I plan what I'm going to order before I get there and then stick to it. You can find things that fit your needs just about anywhere, but I find that if I don't plan ahead then I end up eating way too much because they always make it look tasty on the menu.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    We have a local diner around here that changes up their specials everyday. I love the different burgers they come up with and their sweet potato fries are awesome. I use red robins online burger builder to create what the burger was and use that to estimate the calories because they have a ton of options to build it with and the patties are the same size. The fries are hand cut and the portion is one medium sized potato. I can work with that.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Simple rules for fast-food diet control:

1. Limit fried options
    2. Limit high-cal sides (bread & potatoes especially)
    3. Choose your drink wisely
    This is pretty much what I follow when I eat out...I don't eat anything fried, don't drink all my calories, etc. But I don't automatically go for a salad either. I just try to make a wise choice.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    i go for brunch a lot on sundays, if i know where i'm going i can figure out what i'll order in advance and i usually don't hold back. i go for a run before hand and consider it my main meal, and i make sure that whatever it is - even if it's benedict or tator tots - isn't going to put me over by planning out what i'll eat after as well.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,972 Member
    Options
    We eat out at least once a week and often have fast food. My tip is to decide what you want ahead of time. Lots of restaurants have their nutrition info available online. I decide what I will get before I go so that I know if it will fit into my goal. Last night we had McDonald's and I got a Big mac and small fries for 780 calories and was under my goal for the day. I usually get unsweetened tea or water instead of a soda. When I go out to restaurants I will usually get either a drink or an appetizer. I rarely get dessert at restaurants even before I started calorie counting, but if I wanted dessert I would skip a drink or appetizer. I do look at the lo-cal options on the menu and sometimes I get that but I usually get what I want. My husband doesn't like chicken, so for me grilled chicken has always been something I order out and don't make at home. We eat regularly at local restaurants that don't have the nutrition information available and I just look up information from a chain that is similar and use their information. So far this strategy is working for me.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I like to get a big burger, diet coke, no fries. Usually around 600-700 calories, not so bad. I'm not buying salad at a fast food place, I can make salad at home.

I like to get salads at SOME places (Like Wendy's cause yum) simply BECAUSE I DON'T have to make it at home LOL!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I do not like the mayo or kind of cheese that fast food restaurants use, so I typically will get a normal burger with tomato, lettuce, onion, ketchup. A quarter pounder without cheese, a small coke (hate diet soda) and small fries hits the spot for about 640 + another 150 for the coke. I will often have just water as well and save the 150 calories. It's a lot of calories for one meal, but when you want it, you want it. Sometimes a simple hamburger is enough and that's probably 210 calories less than the quarter pounder
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    If something you want has a bun, rather than discarding it for a lettuce wrap, toss the top half of the bun and go open face.