Is my scale stuck :(

Options
I have been on Phase 1 of the South Beach Diet for 2 weeks. Am sticking to it pretty well, no major cheats (except 1 granola bar today...). My daily calories have been 800-1100 and I've been eating allowed foods. I lost about 5-6 lbs at first. The past week my scale has been at 150.2 the entire time.

I don't know how I can be stuck while keeping my fat, calories and carbs in line the way I have been.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Laurie

Replies

• JThomas61
    JThomas61 Posts: 892
    Options
    Exercise? How much and how often?
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I don't know EXACTLY what you're eating, but when I did the South Beach Diet I fell into the habit of eating too many almonds and cheeses and not enough vegetables. Also, try and stick to a 1200-calorie minimum... and drink LOTS of water! Hope that helps...
  • Tracy184
    Tracy184 Posts: 74
    Options
    You're not eating enough. The initial weight loss was probably water weight from lack of carbs. At 800-1100 calories per day, you're likely in starvation mode.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Also, try and stick to a 1200-calorie minimum... and drink LOTS of water!

THIS.
  • meribethd
    meribethd Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Yes, you aren't eating enough calories at all. 800 calories is nowhere near enough. Try 1200-1400; I bet you'll see the scale move.
  • Creiche
    Creiche Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Looks like Tracy beat me to it. :) It doesn't look like you're eating enough, especially if you work out regularly, and you probably mostly lost water weight. I know it seems weird to eat more to lose, but every time I've gotten stuck at a weight, I've had to up my allotted calories and the scale would drop so I'd suggest trying it out.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I would try to eat more, but if its only been a week, I would keep at it and not worry yet
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Min calories is 1200 and if low carb, we need to see what you are eating. How much protein are you getting in, water, exercise.

The first loss was just water weight, not a real fat lose.

Open the dairy and we can give a better response!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's likely the fact that you're not geting your 1200 minimum calories.

If you happen to have introduced any new exercises in the last week or two, especially strength training, you may be retaining some water as part of the natural healing process.

You may also be retaining water if your sodium is a bit high - if you're not already set up to have that as part of your food diary, edit your settings to include it.

Could also be that since you lose so much the first week (5-6 lbs is a lot in one week!) that your body's just sort of settling in to it. That happens to me sometimes if I have a rapid loss...takes a week or so for the bod to allow anymore to come off.
  • HealthierIn2011
    Options
    I did the South Beach diet seven or eight years ago. I lost about 20+ pounds pretty quickly by following this meal plan:

Breakfast:
    Scrambled eggs with mushrooms
    Tomato Juice

Lunch:
    Chicken Caesar Salad with extra veggies

Dinner:
    Chicken and Green Beans or any other cut of meat with a vegetable.

Snacks:
    Celery, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers with Ranch Dressing
    Beef Jerky
    Sugar Free Candy

LOTS and LOTS of water. 30 minutes on the treadmill minimum per day with strength training for 20 minutes 3-4x week.

I'm sure you'll get lots of advice but this is what worked for me!
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    I don't know EXACTLY what you're eating, but when I did the South Beach Diet I fell into the habit of eating too many almonds and cheeses and not enough vegetables. Also, try and stick to a 1200-calorie minimum... and drink LOTS of water! Hope that helps...

I find myself eating lots of nuts and hummus with crackers with an occasional Fiber One bar, but hardly vegetables. Hardly. I'll sprinkle in an apple and such here and there, but I need to be better about fixing vegetables. Perhaps I need to bring a steamer to work.
  • sdaltonking
    Options
    Perhaps a performance cleanse like the Shakeology Cleanse in order to jump start your metabolism and break your plateau? Was the best thing I ever did. Just a thought....
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Also, try and stick to a 1200-calorie minimum... and drink LOTS of water!

THIS.

Yep!!!

4581915.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I would agree with some of the other folks on here and say you need to step up your calorie intake. I was following the MFP guidelines for my weight, but what they cannot know is that I have a high amount of muscle and my body thinks i am starving at 1100 calories a day. I eat small frequent meals to boost my metabolism and it is finally working after a 3 month standstill. So many of us are afraid to eat, I think, it is ingrained in us...."better not eat too much or you'll gain", I am learning that there is a difference in overeating and healthy eating. Good luck to you!!! I know its frustrating!!!!
  • fit4mom
    fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I know that there is alot of hidden suger out there. It's not so much the fat and carbs to watch for but also the suger. Also is your water intake 8 glasses per day of pure water? I think it's important because juices and what not add calories. So juice is ok but water flushes toxins and wasted. Oh and are you exercising. Can be as simple as cleaning or gardening or walks after dinner. I also absolutly refuse to eat after 8pm. Good if you do not have a medical condition as some of my friends do. If you don't eat late your body won't be sleeping on the food. I just give it time. Don't give up because it's like baking in the oven. The food is truly not ready untill the inside is finished baking. Are you really gonna eat a half cooked piece of chicken or are you gonna wait? Be encouraged and know you can do this and will make it. Your wakeing your body up and it is rebelling. Of course it want's you to quit and be lazy. It wants us to cater to it. Do you want your body to master you or do you want to master it? That is my 2 cents worth of wisdom. I hope it helps and know that you are far more capable of doing what you think you can't than you percieve you are. Be blessed and may the dilligence of your efforts bear much fruit.:flowerforyou:
  • fit4mom
    Options
    That is not necessarily so. I am eating that and have lost about 20lbs. But you are definatly right that you have to get enough food.
  • 69margaux
    69margaux Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It is called a catabolic state--you need more calories. Check it out here:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/307299-catabolic-weight-loss/
  • EJanine
    EJanine Posts: 23
    Options
    so glad I read this. Too few calories explains why I've only lost 5-6 lbs in one month.
  • mexigrl64
    mexigrl64 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm having trouble getting enough calories - that makes sense that I need more. Unfortunately, for me, I'm not a veggie eater although I am trying to squeeze a few in here and there. Here was yesterday:

Breakfast - 10 Almonds, 1 snack size cheddar/monterrey jack low fat cheese, 1/2 cottage cheese (low fat) - Green Iced Tea (n/s)

Lunch - 1/2 Cobb salad at Chilis, no dressing and black beans on the side - no bacon - Iced Tea (n/s)

Snack - 10 almonds, 1 s/f hard candy

Dinner - 2 oz roast beef with one slice cheese melted on top, cottage cheese with relish mixed in, small salad w/oil and vinegar dressing - Agua de Jamaica drink (brewed from hibiscus leaves, no carbs or fat)

Dessert - 1 jello (n/s) with 2 T kool whip - 2 glasses of water

Not sure where the sticking point is but I think I'm going to try to move into Phase 2 and start introducing some low glycemic fruits and a little whole wheat (like the Bible cracker I had today with hummus for lunch).

I have a disability that makes exercise difficult but I did do 35 mins on the stationary bike on Monday and today I walked a few blocks. I need to try to get more regular with that!

Thanks all for your advice!

Laurie
  • fit4mom
    Options
    I eat between 800-1000 calories per day and I have lost 20 lbs in 46 days. Some times our bodies rebell to change. Make sure you get the calories that this site suggests but be careful to not go over. The key is success. I know websites are great but comming from personal experience it is not always bad to eat less. If your exercising your body won't hold onto the calories because it has no choice but to follow through. I started out at the 1200 calorie mark and have for the past month or so eaten no more than 1000 calories per day and my weight keeps going down. Water removes toxins and waste so you also need to take in at least the 8 glasses every day. I do know what I am talking about because I am living proof. Their hearts are in the right place and you are smart to get lots of council. Just make sure you follow not eating more than what the website suggests. Be well and if you want I can give you some more tips that have worked for me. Be blessed you can do this. Just know that it is not an over night process and it will all work out.