Replies

• Pikashel
    Pikashel Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    @hervatski unrelated, but...I like your profile notes lol
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Let me be your word of caution. I lost my 100lbs in much less than a year. More like 8-9 months. I gained back half very quickly once I couldn't keep up with my extreme methods any longer.

This time I'm doing it slow and adding strength training. Exercising for health not for extra calories to eat. Do it slow so it's for life!
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I'm at 111lbs lost. hit 100lbs on 4/24. Started the first of the year. So far so good. I still track my food daily, along with workouts. Not at maintenance weight yet, but I'm sure I'll continue to log everything. It's been a heckuva ride, that's for sure...

Am I reading this correctly? You lost nearly a pound a day? Or 6 a week? For 4 months?

Anyway op, I lost 140lb over 1.5 years. Been maintaining/very very slowly losing since January.

I still log every day. Not like it takes much time.
  • FlakeyMusician
    FlakeyMusician Posts: 15 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    I'm at 111lbs lost. hit 100lbs on 4/24. Started the first of the year. So far so good. I still track my food daily, along with workouts. Not at maintenance weight yet, but I'm sure I'll continue to log everything. It's been a heckuva ride, that's for sure...

Am I reading this correctly? You lost nearly a pound a day? Or 6 a week? For 4 months?

Actually it was almost 5 months, but yea pretty much. As the calories have gone up and weight has gone down, the rate has come down too, obviously. I'm averaging around 2-2.5/week now, which I am pretty happy about. no loss of energy, no hair loss, etc. I attribute that to keeping my protein being higher than most on VLCD, though. That and I was already shaving my head before I started haha!
  • twinkles2121
    twinkles2121 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I started in 2011. I'm 39lbs away from my goal (GW 130, SW 310(ish)) It may seem like a long time, but after losing so much, I would maintain for a few months, then start my deficit again, lose so much again, then maintain.

I logged daily for the first 100lbs, then started changing my habits, and making better choices. Honestly, that was a personal preference. Logging daily is not a hill I want to die on. When I said 'reach my goal' I didn't just mean my weight, but also being able to maintain a healthy weight without logging.

I usually only gain back at Christmas time, (mmmm cookies...) somewhere between 6-10lbs. not to much to re-lose ;)
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Down around 110 lb since July of last year, so about 10 months. Starting weight was about 320.

Not on maintenance yet - going to lose at least another 35, then see where I go from there. Definitely plan to keep logging.

My main technique is prelogging, or reverse logging. I don't log what I eat, I eat what I logged. Every day I plan out my next day, and then I just eat what I planned. Works really well, super easy. I weigh out portions but don't correct my logs unless I'm off by a lot.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I went from 340 to 185 from January 1st 2015 to September 14th 2015. 35/M/6'5" - All diet, no exercise.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    duddysdad wrote: »
    I went from 340 to 185 from January 1st 2015 to September 14th 2015. 35/M/6'5" - All diet, no exercise.

Forgot to add. No surgery involved. All CICO using MFP.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I lost 112 +/- over about 2 years. I'm certain I could have done it faster - however doing it relatively more slowly gave me time to really learn and get a handle on how things work best for me, and I feel pretty confident now that this weight loss is something I can sustain for a long, long time.
  • abovethecity
    abovethecity Posts: 42 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I've lost around 171 lbs. in a little over 2 years (most of while on MFP, some of it not). I haven't really given too much thought about what my goal weight should be. I'm currently 185 lbs. I just want to be in a healthy weight range for my height and I've got a long way to go still, I guess.
  • Pikashel
    Options

Forgot to add. No surgery involved. All CICO using MFP.

Wow! how many calories were you eating in a day?
  • Pikashel
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Be careful with losing too much too fast. My mom started with needing to lose around 200 lbs. Shes lost 100 in 6 months with very sever food restrictions and low calories. Shes now experiencing gallstones and hair loss amongst other issues.
    Best thing you can do is slow and steady. Set your goal for no more than 2 lbs per week, use a food scale to weight any food that's not a liquid, start moving more (walks, biking, swimming, whatever you enjoy). And finally, find foods you will still enjoy eating, for weight loss to be permanent you need to be able to make these changes for life.
    Also, the initial probably half (ish) of your weight will come off fairly quick. The last half (ish) will be slower as your body adjusts to needing less calories.
    Good luck, good on you for making the decision on losing weight! If you want a friend for support or encouragement feel free to add me :-)

I am doing it the right way with all the things you mentioned :) Whenever I tried to do something extreme it lasted less than 24 hours lol. I haven't really changed any of the food I like to eat, other than eating a smaller portion and counting it. But I just decided to cut out chicken because it was the only type of "meat" I eat (I haven't eaten red meat in over 15 years). Now I can just tell people I'm pescatarian instead of..."I don't eat meat...except for chicken and fish...no, I don't eat turkey or any other birds either." Adding you as a friend :)

P.S. hope your mom is doing better now!
  • Pikashel
    Options
    abatonfan wrote: »
    About 100lbs lost (230+ to just under 130), though my situation is probably atypical:
    • Between July(?)-November 6, 2013 I went from 230+ to 155lbs (75lb loss) secondary to undiagnosed type 1 diabetes. I was stupid, didn't think the weight loss was a big deal, and would not be typing this right now had I not gotten myself checked out when I did. I probably told this story a million times, but I ended up losing so much hair from my body being starved for so long that my hair stylist started to notice. She freaked out as she was cutting my hair that night, urged me to see a doctor ASAP, and I listened to her. My blood sugar was 570-something, and I was in DKA (and would have been dead within 24 hours had I not seen her that night).
    • Between November-December 2013, I gained about 15lbs from starting insulin injections and getting myself out of that hot mess.
    • January 2014-Now, I've went from about 170 to 130ish. Within the past year, I've probably lost about 10-15ish lbs, though now I am anticipating only losing 5-10 more pounds or simply maintaining where I am.

It'll be about 3 years of food logging on November 9th (the day I returned from the hospital after my diagnosis), and I haven't gained back the weight. I still haven't placed myself in "maintenance mode" yet (I currently have my calorie goal set to maintenance, and I try to leave about 250ish calories left over each day). I know I'll be logging for life, especially when MFP's the easiest way for me to calculate how much insulin I need to take per meal (I dose based off the carbs I consume).

Glad you're here to tell your story!
  • Pikashel
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Took me 13 months to lose 100#. Took me 4 years to lose 173#. I've kept it off and will continue to log my food because I can't be trusted to trust eyeballing portions and my hunger signals.

You gotta do what you gotta do! I am hoping I would have learned enough to be able to eyeball portions when I reach my goal weight (which will probably take 3 or so years).

Was the 13 months to lose 100lbs? the first 100lbs? And then 4 more years to lose the remaining? Were you taking it easier in the last 4 years or did your body just take a lot longer to lose the rest?
  • Pikashel
    Options
    zezelryck wrote: »
    I Lost around 190lb in just under 2 years and have been keeping most of it off for over 15 months. I just put around 7-8lb back and now happily maintain at around 147lb.

You can read my story here. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10108395/189lb-lost-20-months-had-open-heart-surgery-and-lost-t2-diabetes-some-pics-included#latest

Awesome! Going to read your story now.
  • Pikashel
    Options
    Alidecker wrote: »
    I lost 120# in 13 months, that was from September 2009-October 2010. Lost another 10-15 pounds by March 2011. I regained 25 pounds in 2013 and have been staying the same since then. Working on re-losing now. I still track although not as diligent as before. I wish I would have stopped myself before the 25 pound regain, but at least I stopped it.

Yes, at least you stopped. It took me over 80 lbs to stop lol.. You've done it before and you can do it again!
  • Pikashel
    Options
    ald783 wrote: »
    It took me about 3.5 years to lose 115 pounds. It's the slowest I've ever lost weight but I've kept it off for almost 4 years. I fluctuate up and down within a 4-5 pound range which is fine with me. I'm not technically at goal or in maintenance as my goal is 18 pounds lighter than I am currently, but I'm not unhappy where I'm at so if I don't lose another pound ever, so be it.

It's not that losing weight slowly is a guarantee that you'll keep it off, but for me when I lost weight more quickly I was making more extreme changes I couldn't stick with long term. When I started losing this time I still ate plenty, more than 2000 calories a day for sure (though I was doing Weight Watchers at the time), I went out to eat, enjoyed my share of alcohol, and only went to the gym 3 times a week initially. I gradually worked out longer and harder and reduced my points/calories, but it was helpful to me to do it gradually.

I still track and probably always will. It's kind of just a habit at this point. I'm not super strict about it and I don't mind not tracking a day or meal or whatever here and there, and I estimate a decent amount, but I like generally writing down what I'm eating.

I'm planning to take a similar approach to yours. But I'm also hoping that I will be able to learn to eyeball portions when I'm in maintenance. Congrats on the loss!
  • Pikashel
    Options
    Pikashel wrote: »
    Questions for those who have lost 100+ lbs-

How long did it take you to lose that much weight?

Have you been able to keep it off? Do you still track your food daily even though you are at maintenance weight (assuming you are at your goal)?

Hi I've lost 100 pounds and I have 10 pounds to go for my target weight, it's taken me on an off around 2 years, stopping through holidays, injuries and illness. I've mainly kept it off, bar the illness which piled weight on, yes. I've tracked my weight every day. Any questions pop me a message :)

Awesome. You're so close!!
  • Pikashel
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    Let me be your word of caution. I lost my 100lbs in much less than a year. More like 8-9 months. I gained back half very quickly once I couldn't keep up with my extreme methods any longer.

This time I'm doing it slow and adding strength training. Exercising for health not for extra calories to eat. Do it slow so it's for life!

That's what I'm planning to do, but also hoping that it will be a little bit quicker because I weigh so much currently. We can do it!
  • Pikashel
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »

Anyway op, I lost 140lb over 1.5 years. Been maintaining/very very slowly losing since January.

I still log every day. Not like it takes much time.

@FlakeyMusician mentioned that he weighed 400lbs and was prescribed a very low calorie diet so I'm assuming a doctor told him it was okay to do this?

Amazing, congrats! That's exactly how much I need to lose. Seems kind of fast to lose 140 lbs in 1.5 years? What kind of exercises did you do?