Most effective work outs for abs and tight tummy

Options
emz_1993
emz_1993 Posts: 96 Member
What can I do for that tight, toned tummy? I use the ab machine at the gym at 30 kgs and 5x10 reps. What works for you hard board ab folks? I'm a strength newbie so be kind!

Replies

• moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I might be wrong, but I think the best thing you could do would be to lower your overall body fat. Or are you already pretty low in bf and want to know ways to target specific areas of muscle?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    emz_1993 wrote: »
    What can I do for that tight, toned tummy? I use the ab machine at the gym at 30 kgs and 5x10 reps. What works for you hard board ab folks? I'm a strength newbie so be kind!

Fork put-downs and table push-aways. It's not possible to "spot reduce" fat from a certain area of your body and while exercises may work the muscles beneath, they do nothing for the fat covering the muscles. Maintain a calorie deficit and the fat will eventually come off, but your genetics dictate how/where you lose it and no exercises will change that.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit
  • lmaharj
    lmaharj Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You can target muscle groups... I do many core exercises and have developed a HIIT regimen from the ones I prefer.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/core-strength-your-ultimate-guide-to-core-training.html

All I did was google what exercises would work my target group, YouTube it to ensure proper form, and practice it.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    For a strong core and building abs, definitely pilates. But unless you lower your body fat, the abs will remain invisible.
  • kessler4130
    kessler4130 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Core compound movements, deadlift, squats are the best way to train your core. However you are simply training to maintain it while in a deficit. Proper diet to reduce body fat will bring them out.
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Heavy deadlifts, squats, bench press and a calorie deficit.

That's all I did. Haven't touched abs directly for years.

Well, actually I've recently (2 weeks ago) added them in as part of a kind of experiment, but I'm not sure I want to keep doing them because I hate ab work.

• MalcolmX1983
    MalcolmX1983 Posts: 214 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    emz_1993 wrote: »

Losing fat will reveal that nice flat stomach.
    Working the core, abs, and obliques will make them muscles bigger/denser.

I'd suggest in addition to the crunches, you add the following:

Leg raises
    Knee raises
    Planks
    Side planks
    Russian twists
    Dumbbell side bends

If you're lifting as well, then movements like deadlifts, squats also work the core.

My boxing coach pairs us up and gets us to punch each other's stomachs for a few sets.
    I find the contractions from this is better than any other exercise I do.

I don't spend much time on abs, just 15-20 minutes every other day at the end of my sessions before I do my static stretches.
  • pipermoom37
    pipermoom37 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm doing this and seeing good result so far I'm on day 10 http://www.flatabsfitness.com/