Not hungry, but SO TIRED

Options
Hi all! I'm 5 days in to my (current, but not first) weight loss effort. I'm both exercising and cutting calories. I'm not hungry - and in fact most days I have to force myself to eat more, but I'm not reaching my calorie goals - sometimes by as much as 300 calories.

I'm also EXHAUSTED. I overslept this morning, right through 3 alarms, and I'm still tired.

My question is, given how tired I am, should I be eating even if I'm not hungry? Thanks for any help ...

Replies

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    mplslizzie wrote: »

My question is, given how tired I am, should I be eating even if I'm not hungry?

Yes.

Your hunger signals are clearly buggered (which is not unusual for many dieters.)
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I'd say yes. But really it depends on how fast you're losing and whether that speed is appropriate.

The easiest way to add more calories in your day without "eating more" is to switch to full-fat versions of things you already eat. Like ditching chicken white meat for dark meat or full fat yogurt instead of fat free.

You don't have to be cranky or exhausted when eating at a deficit, if you don't want to be.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I'd say so, especially if you're getting tired. Heavy exercise makes me less hungry, but I still need the energy. I know a lot of people have success by following their hunger cues exactly but mine seem to be broken...
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    Also, I only get hungry for a relatively short time at mealtimes and then it goes away and is replaced with grumpiness and a headache. So if I miss the hunger window, I have to make myself eat.

Not as described in the manual. I think I need new firmware or something.
  • xKoalaBearx
    xKoalaBearx Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Yes. It sounds like you may be exercising too much and/or eating too little.

I suggest you eat ALL your calories, and even cut back on exercise for a little while until you get your energy back. Remember this is something you need to do for the rest of your life, so you need to do things you can sustain that long. If you're short on calories, give yourself a treat (for me it would be chocolate), as long as you're still in your calorie goal, there's no guilt!

When you eat more calories, you'll likely get your energy back.

Good luck!
  • mplslizzie
    mplslizzie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all. I especially like the idea of switching to a few full fat dairy items, given the research around their benefits and my family history of osteoporosis!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Sleep is a very important part of building/repairing muscle. Tiredness can mean your body is simply needing more sleep. If you're 300 calories under your goal, and you've set yourself at max loss which is 2lbs/week then yes, you should probably eat more. Try a protein shake, it can up your protein intake, help you meet that goal at least, without adding too many carbs or fat. The 60g shake I drink after working out is around 280 calories I think so that would be a great option for you, and would help your body repair your tired muscles. Just a suggestion.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    That's a good point about the sleep, you may well need more than before if you're exercising hard.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    grumpiness plus headache usually means your blood sugar has dropped too low. Try and make sure to get enough protein.