I have a question for a personal trainer or person educated

Options
Is it normal to have tightness in my back on the sides, or am I using bad form? My shoulders are also pretty tight.

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Doing what kind of exercise?
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    bump
  • timlord
    timlord Posts: 158
    Options
    you probably need to losen up more, and it sounds like you need more water and/or calcium
    Tim Lord
  • BrookeEspinosa
    Options
    I'm doing insanity today, but it started after doing back rows(I think), I moved up to a 5 lb weight.
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    I've done Insanity. What really helped me was to have a mirror where I was working out so I could periodically check my form. Make sure you're stretching properly. Also, Results and Recovery Formula will help with your soreness.
  • LaurieRny
    LaurieRny Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hey what is this insanity iv seen people doing? I really want to try it as people have had some fab results! x
  • EZGruv
    EZGruv Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Proper form is the key to injury prevention. Take a look in the mirror until you know what good form feels like.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Yup sounds like improper form because 5lb weights wouldn't cause that kind of muscle soreness.
  • BrookeEspinosa
    Options
    I'm sure I over did it yesterday too. I usually workout for a 45 minutes a day, but yesterday I did shred in the morning. Then I got my insanity and was so excited I did the fit test and day 2. I know I shoulda stopped after the fit test.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Strength and flexibility are equally important. In addition to becoming strong and building muscles, it's equally important to maintain flexibility. Many times, a spinal process will move out of alignment creating tension throughout the back. The lower back is especially sensitive to unbalance because it does so much work absorbing shock. Overcompensation for tightness in one area may create tightness in other areas of the back, or throughout the body.

In addition to maintaining good form, and a thorough stretching routine that includes stretching hamstrings, hip flexors, abdominals, and your upper and lower back for about 15-20 minutes after you've partially warmed up for your workout, do the same after your workout. In addition, treating tight areas to a warm shower or jacuzzi might help. If those areas are particularly sore, don't hesitate to treat them with ice for 15-20 minutes after you work out. Follow up with a hot shower. You'll be contracting your capillaries to reduce swelling, and then immediately dilating them again to usher in fresh, nutrient-rich blood.

If the problems persist, don't hesitate to visit a masseuse or a trusted chiropractor. When your back is out of alignment, everything else is too!

Good luck!
  • timlord
    timlord Posts: 158
    Options
    I would suggest more of a light dumbbell routine with stretch bands. You may need to work with some one who can properly teach you correct form. The key words are educated and teach
    Tim Lord Personal Fitness Teacher BS, MA, ASFA Certified, Indiana Fitness Teacher (ret), Doctoral Candidate University of theRockies, Psyd Sports and Fitness Psychology
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    google the exercise, look on BB.com, and then stand in your bathroom and make sure you have it. If they are truely rows, you should feel some soreness between your shoulder blades or so. 5lb is low, so you shouldn't be TOO sore either way.
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    Don't know about form, not knowing what exercises you are doing, but I must say....I cannot over emphasize the benefits of stretching. Before and after a workout and before bed. Seriously. Before bed. Want to get rid of that stiffness you feel in the morning? Stretch every muscle before bed. Takes 10 minutes tops and you'll sleep better too. I honestly believe it lessens recovery time.

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:
  • StrengthCoach0702
    StrengthCoach0702 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You were doing rows? Did you possibly happen to do side planks/hip lifts as well that day? That could account for strain on both your shoulder girdle and LB/Obliques/QL. If you had heavy rotation while doing rows (incorrect form), that also may have caused the strain.
    Something I've noticed in the short time that Ive been on this site is the amount of people doing P90X, Insanity, etc. If you are just starting out in the fitness world, I would highly stress not doing these programs. Chances of injury are more likely than none. Even if injury does not occur, over-training does, which also inhibits you from getting to your goals. Your best bet is to find help through a (respected/knowledgable/educated) professional to set you up on a proper training program based on your specific goals, and the results of a good movement screening. Movement screens are essential before starting a training program in making sure that your body mechanics are correct before you start your training. You could also try recording your training and letting others view it to critique.
    Hope this helps. Good luck!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Are we talking pain or soreness? There is a huge difference and whether or not your reaction is "normal" will depend on if we're talking muscle soreness for the work or twinges from improper form.
  • ywolfie
    ywolfie Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    There is no 'one' word to describe insanity other than insane. It requires no workout props other than perhaps a yoga mat or other floor type of cushion. It involves using your own body, and high intensity interval training or HIIT for short to get serious results. Go check out www.getinsanity.com. If nothing else, the instructor, Shaun T. is nice eyecandy! :-)