Hey all

Options
Trying to gain weight and make friends, trying to gain between 10 and 15 pounds im 5' 10 and 140lbs any suggestions! !

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I would start with these threads.

If you have troubles getting calories, use this thread

If you want some muscle gains instead of just fat, I would pick a good lifting program. You can find a good one in this thread

If you have other questions, please let us know.
  • lplummer324
    lplummer324 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm also trying to gain! Wishing u luck on your journey!
  • Longevity100
    Longevity100 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    spanns76 wrote: »
    Trying to gain weight and make friends, trying to gain between 10 and 15 pounds im 5' 10 and 140lbs any suggestions! !

What does a typical day of eating look like for you?
    What does your current exercise program look like?
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Calculate your TDEE - this is how many calories to eat to MAINTAIN weight. Scientifically, 3500 calories = 1lb. So if we divide 3500 calories by 7 days of the week, you need to eat TDEE plus 500 calories to gain 1lb per week.

So that means you need to log and measure EVERYTHING you put in your mouth, and eat TDEE + 500 calories. I assume you are lifting during this time, as the caloric surplus will greatly aid in strength and muscle growth. I would not recommend going any more than that, as you can only build a certain amount of muscle and any excess will turn into fat.

i.e. I am a 27/male/5'7", gymming 4 days a week. I put in my stats and my TDEE comes out to 2300 calories. To bulk, I have to eat 2800 calories DAILY for +1lb per week. If I wanted to gain 10 lbs, that's roughly 3 months of bulking. If I wanted to lose weight, I'd cut and eat 1800 calories daily for -1lb per week.

Remember, consistency over intensity. Skinny people overestimate how much they eat (and overweight people underestimate). The scale and food tracking keeps us all honest. It's not how much you eat in 1 meal or 1 weekend, but what you do day-in-day-out.

Also, if +500 over your TDEE is too aggressive, try +250 instead for +0.5lbs per week = 2lbs per month