Spin class

Options
hi

just wondering how hard a spin class is?

my fitness levels are good but i have never been a fan of the static bikes in the gym.

would i die in the class or can you go at your own pace?

x

Replies

• katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE SPIN!!!
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    You can go @ whatever pace you want. That's the beauty of classes like that. You can even get off the bike if you want lol
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    You really make it YOUR work out in spin. while you try to go at the pace the instructor gives you, if your first starting out, obviously you may not be able to do exactly what is said. i started out with spin when first doing group at the gym. i recommend it for anyone who is still kind of iffy on whether or not they want to do group. i still do it twice a week, mixed in with a couple aerobics classes, and a body pump class.
  • Dani724
    Dani724 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I love Spin! It really is the best. You can defintely go at your own pace and adjust the resistance as needed. Try it out!
  • yes_i_can
    yes_i_can Posts: 419
    Options
    Totally love spin! Most classes will let you go at your own pace and it's up to you how much tension you add. When the instructor tells you to dial it up, it's up to you to decide on full turns, halves, etc.

I have, however, heard of one class where they actually have speedometers and the instructor told them to get to certain speeds. I've been to lots of classes at a few different gyms though and have never actually seen that.

(Edit: my typing fingers aren't working today ;)
  • Emmabrown26
    Options
    i have started spin for the first time this week - done two classes and am SO impressed! it is really hard - I have never sweated or worked so hard in my life - and I go running and do aerobics (occasionally!). But that is what I want cos it means you are burning fat! the first one i went to was accidently an advanced one, but just done one now which was more general and it was easier but still sweated loads and worked hard. i would NEVER work that hard just by myself on a stationary bike - it's to do with the music and the instructor. i would def recommend it!
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    i have been hit with the "spin bug" and go two to three times a week.

you cant give up after one class and you MOST DEFINITELY can go at your own pace. if you dont, youll hate it and why bother...i recommend trying it - and ice your butt and your nether-regions for the first time after :D
  • lucysmommy
    lucysmommy Posts: 460
    Options
    Great

i will slot myself in for one :-)
  • melsat
    melsat Posts: 14
    Options
    I love spin class!!! I go at least once a week. My friend who is really fit wanted me to go with her. I was nervous at first, but my instructor is awesome and made me feel like I could go at my own pace. She said that no one would know what my tension was set on. She just wanted me to focus on pedaling the entire time. I was really sore (EVERYWHERE) for the first three classes, but after that, I was good. It is a great workout. My instructor also incorporates weights on the bike, along with jumps, and push ups. It really is a great workout. You should try it!
  • ebjr
    ebjr Posts: 7
    Options
    Spinning classes are what help me through my plateu on my journey to lose my first 50lbs. it can be a bit tough and initmidating. But also very rewarding. You will get better over time. Most instructors are cyclists by nature so don't be upset if you can't keep up with an instructor that probably did 50miles before getting to class!
    Use a HRM to keep a close watch on how you're doing and try to enjoy it.

Good Luck.
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I began spinning in a class AFTER i broke my leg. So i was weak=--and out of shape. Spin class is nice because you can modify it for yourself---go harder or easier...sit down or stand up. You will feel awesome afterwards!
  • glasielady
    glasielady Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I started spinning 3 years ago and I still love it, it's one of the best cardio around. When I first started I hurt all over especially my rear end. I still spin 2 days a week with some strength training and zumba thrown in during the week.

On thing to remember about any workout, make it your own, go as fast or as slow as you need it to be. Good luck with the spin class, be sure to come back and let us know how you like it.