Clean eating with toddlers

Options
I have been searching for a few days online for some clean eating recipes that my three year old would eat too. What are your favorite clean eating recipes????

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veggies. Run them under some water and bam its clean! Seriously, kids learn from the parents. If you eat healthy they will too.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    You would have to define what you mean by clean eating if you want to get recipes that satisfy your particular understanding of this term, which different people use in different ways.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    Fruits and veggies. Run them under some water and bam its clean! Seriously, kids learn from the parents. If you eat healthy they will too.

Yup! They will eat whatever you bring home. There might be some resistance if your child was used to eating fries, cookies and chips before, but don't give up. My youngest is 18 months and regularly snacks on grapes, cheese, carrots, berries, cheerios (is that clean food?) etc.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    My kids always loved their fruits, veggies, grilled chicken, etc. when they were toddlers. Get them involved in the grocery shopping. Have them pick out different fruits and vegetables in the produce section. Let them wash them and help with the age appropriate preparation of the food. You can still have the cookies, cakes, ice cream, etc. just keep it in moderation and the entire family will benefit.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »

Yup! They will eat whatever you bring home. There might be some resistance if your child was used to eating fries, cookies and chips before, but don't give up. My youngest is 18 months and regularly snacks on grapes, cheese, carrots, berries, cheerios (is that clean food?) etc.

This.

My daughter's potty training treat was peas. She didn't know any different. Her favorite foods right now are salmon and bowling alley hot dogs. Kids will eat as wide a variety of foods as you give them on a regular basis. Sure, everybody has their likes and dislikes but there is no reason to think that your average child will not or cannot eat normal everyday foods.
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I find that children will eat things that they are exposed to which their parents react positively to. If you get excited about an apple they are excited to eat it and be like mummy. I'd say just feed them what you are also eating and you should be fine, unless they have started out living off fries and cookies and juice as mentioned by a previous post. In that case I would suggest starting out with fruit and slowly make changes from there (sweet but healthy) :smile:

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I don't know how clean eating recipes are different than normal recipes, but when I was a kid dinner was typically meat, vegetables, and a starch (often bread or potatoes). That would fit most definitions of "clean" I've heard (I know some are anti bread). I ate it, because that's just how we ate. (I didn't immediately like all vegetables, but they were served and I learned to eat them.)

Fruit was something that I remember loving from an early age, too.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    You could try blending up fruits into a thick smoothie then freeze into lollies. You could even add veggies in there too as most you can't even taste.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Goldfish crackers are clean. So are cheerios.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »

How are cheerios clean eating

Ingredients: Cereal Grains (Whole Grain Oat Flour (28.4%), Whole Grain Wheat (28.4%), Whole Grain Barley Flour (17.1%), Whole Grain Corn Flour (2.0%), Whole Grain Rice Flour (2.0%)), Sugar, Wheat Starch, Partially Inverted Brown Sugar Syrup, Salt, Acidity Regulator: Tripotassium Phosphate, Sunflower Oil, Colours: Caramel, Annatto and Carotene, Antioxidant: Tocopherols, Vitamins and Minerals (Vitamin C, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin (B2), Vitamin B6, Folic Acid, Vitamin D, Calcium Carbonate, Iron)
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    janjunie wrote: »

This.

My daughter's potty training treat was peas. She didn't know any different. Her favorite foods right now are salmon and bowling alley hot dogs. Kids will eat as wide a variety of foods as you give them on a regular basis. Sure, everybody has their likes and dislikes but there is no reason to think that your average child will not or cannot eat normal everyday foods.

We are potty training right now and her treat is peas, too!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »

Ingredients: Cereal Grains (Whole Grain Oat Flour (28.4%), Whole Grain Wheat (28.4%), Whole Grain Barley Flour (17.1%), Whole Grain Corn Flour (2.0%), Whole Grain Rice Flour (2.0%)), Sugar, Wheat Starch, Partially Inverted Brown Sugar Syrup, Salt, Acidity Regulator: Tripotassium Phosphate, Sunflower Oil, Colours: Caramel, Annatto and Carotene, Antioxidant: Tocopherols, Vitamins and Minerals (Vitamin C, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin (B2), Vitamin B6, Folic Acid, Vitamin D, Calcium Carbonate, Iron)

What's dirty about them??
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

How are they not?

Clean eating doesn't have a singular definition which is why it is such an unhelpful term.

• ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Clean eating with toddlers?? Good luck - toddlers are messy eaters :D

I was going to go with a cannibalism joke but this one is good too.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

When I use a word, it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.
  • rachaelbell21
    rachaelbell21 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My 3 yr old loves fish, rice and veggies, home made curry, noodles, casseroles, fruit, yoghurt. Whatever we eat really. He does have what I would class as junk now and again but on the whole eats a really healthy diet as this is what he has been brought up on. Am hoping it continues as he gets older.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    You would have to define what you mean by clean eating if you want to get recipes that satisfy your particular understanding of this term, which different people use in different ways.

I think this is a good idea. When I think 'clean eating' I think meals made from whole natural ingredients. But it would be easy to prepare meals most toddlers would eat going by that description so it would be helpful if you shared what criteria you are using.
  • Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    My 2 year old eats what I offer. I make a healthy meal for him and he eats whatever of it that he wants. If he doesn't want it, he doesn't have to eat it. If he asks for a quick and easy substitute (like cold leftovers instead of what I cooked), then he can have it. He goes shopping with me and gets to pick out most of the fruits and veggies, choose which fish to get, etc. I let him have as much input as I can. He's an awesome eater so far, and is usually willing to try new foods.