That number you just can't get past...any tips?

Options
So I have this number, and sometimes it feels like my jinx number. I have been trying for 3 years to get under it, and whenever I do my weight skyrockets back up. Or rather, I end up binging the next week or something...-_- Has anyone ever had a similar experience? How did you get past it?

Replies

• Amedee17
    Amedee17 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes, several times. I am working on losing 50 pounds, and have lost 40 so far. Unfortunately, whenever I hit that number or a couple of pounds below it I seem to sabotage myself.
  • Xpecta
    Xpecta Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    That happens to me! I've been trying to get under it for about 7 years now. Ugh writing that out makes me feel like a failure... Anyways, if there is any answers to this I would love to hear!
  • juma4474
    juma4474 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Been there too. You've got to be able to find what your triggers are, what makes you go right back to that weight and then eventually workout a healthy lifestyle that you can actually live with. It took me years to figure out mine; I went from 258lbs to 135 back to 155 back to 135 back to 155 and finally I've been able to work out how to stay around my ideal weight of 135 and keep it there. The key for me was finding support and accountability as well as having a coach who reached out to me and helped me work through my ups and downs. I'd love to return that favor and help you do the same. Message me on here if you would like to hear more about challenge groups, how it works and what this whole lifestyle coach thing is all about. Trust me: you can do it!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I agree with @juma4474. Find your triggers. As I lose anything, it is permission to eat pizza or pie or burgers, ect.

I find if I stick to real foods, foods I can get an accurate calorie count on, help battle the weight gain. Maybe stay off the scale but once a month. Stay engaged with your exercise goals. Good luck!
  • Sophi_allheart
    Sophi_allheart Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! After a month I'm finally back to the number I have gotten stuck at in the past. This time I'm getting past it. No junk food for me! Thanks everyone!
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I think what used to happen to me is that I'd start feeling good about what I'd done so far and then give myself a day off and eat a lot of whatever, and then after seeing that the scale hadn't gone up from that one day, I'd somehow make myself think I could just keep eating that way without gaining. I guess you might call that believing what I wanted to believe, so I guess the solution for me would have been to, I don't know, not lose touch with reality :D I used to have a big problem with all-or-nothing thinking too, so that didn't help..
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    A few months ago, that number was 170. It took me about two months to drop below it, and when I would, it would only last for a day or two, maybe 4-5, then back up over 170. I kept at it, kept going to spin class, kept cooking and packing my lunches, kept lifting, kept going on walks, kept limiting my alcohol, etc. Finally, I dropped below and I've stayed below for about a month now. Now the number is 168...I was below it for 2-3 days last week, now I'm back to 168.5.

I'm going to keep going to spin class, keep cooking dinners and lunches, keep lifting, keep walking, keep limiting my alcohol, etc. I'll get down there eventually. My goal is 160 or less, and the closer I get to the deadline I set for myself, I'm beginning to realize that I probably won't make it. But honestly? As long as I keep at it and get there eventually, I'll be happy. Let's just keep it under 168 until then ;)
  • TnZMom
    TnZMom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Same problem! I get to a good number, then think I can cheat. Or the scale will go back up the next few days and I'll feel like there's no hope. It helps if I spend a few days eating light and drinking water, so the number goes down more, then go back to eating at my limit. That way there is some wiggle room if I get bloated or something and I don't feel like I'll never move past that number. Even though it is just water weight, it feels good to make it past the barrier.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    juma4474 wrote: »
    Been there too. You've got to be able to find what your triggers are, what makes you go right back to that weight and then eventually workout a healthy lifestyle that you can actually live with. It took me years to figure out mine; I went from 258lbs to 135 back to 155 back to 135 back to 155 and finally I've been able to work out how to stay around my ideal weight of 135 and keep it there. The key for me was finding support and accountability as well as having a coach who reached out to me and helped me work through my ups and downs. I'd love to return that favor and help you do the same. Message me on here if you would like to hear more about challenge groups, how it works and what this whole lifestyle coach thing is all about. Trust me: you can do it!

Yeah message her if you're interested in departing with your paycheck for a MLM scheme. Otherwise just keep pushing. If your journey to losing weight isn't sustainable I think this problem is obviously related to the inability to stick with too big of a change. Have you attempted the slow and steady route before?
  • ImWithHer
    ImWithHer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Once I switched my scale from lbs to kgs. Voila! No more number!
  • rnewyn
    rnewyn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    For me, there was a certain significance linked with the number. To be over that number meant something to me, so to move under it would mean something else....something I was afraid of/uncomfortable with. Now that I've figured that out and worked through it, I'm excited to get back down to the number so I can pass it once and for all!!
  • flakkybaby211012
    flakkybaby211012 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I've been going through . It's so weird. Well I feel I've tried everything :( I'm now trying to not weigh myself for a while month. This might finally work
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I stick at 133 and 130 very badly. I've gotten past it with patience and tight logging (literally every clove of garlic and stick of gum).