What did I agree to do???

Options
Well, I just agreed to do something that I hope will push me harder and hopefully I won't regret!!! My husband is a volunteer firefighter, and I am the treasurer at the same firehouse. On July 21st there is a big Fire Expo in Baltimore Maryland. During the expo they are holding the 9-11 Memorial Stair Climb. Participants climb 110 flights of stairs to memoralize the fallen firefighters that were climbing that many stairs when the towers collapsed. During our climb we will be carrying a picture of one of the NYFD fallen firefighters. Many of the participants actually do the climb in full turnout gear, fortunately, I won't be doing that, just in jeans and a t-shirt.

So needless to say, I better step up my training! I am going to start doing sets of the flights of stairs at work daily to try to get my stair climbing endurance up. Any other suggestions, I also do cardio 2x a week as well as in the Lean Phase of Chalean Extreme.

Wish me luck!!!

Replies

• tlems
    tlems Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It is so cool that you are doing that! Best of luck to you!
  • Brownski860
    Brownski860 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    God Bless you!
  • lissypriss
    lissypriss Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You can do it!! Have faith! Good luck, and be sure to post how it went! :)
  • allaboutty
    allaboutty Posts: 13
    Options
    That is awesome!! Well worth the effort for our heroes!
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Best of luck! I can't begin to imagine the feelings that will come with crossing the finishing line. Keep us updated!!!
  • ckdub428
    ckdub428 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome what you are doing. Best of luck and God bless. Oh and have a great 4th of July!!!
  • jenseye
    jenseye Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    You can do it!!!! Just think of the firefighters and you will make it through!
  • Nomarfan
    Nomarfan Posts: 36
    Options
    That is absolutely precious and Good luck! Please let us know how the event goes!
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    i dont have any suggestions (that you didnt already mention) but im so happy you are doing this! best of luck :smile:
  • ajfranzen77
    ajfranzen77 Posts: 118
    Options
    Good Luck! You are awesome for doing this! My husband is a volunteer fireman in Iowa, and what you are about to do is so awesome!!! Like others have said just thinking about the men who gave their lives that day will be all the motivation you will need. You'll want to do it for all of them!!!

The only thing I can think of that might help are squats, they should help build your thighs and calfs.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes!
  • clightner
    clightner Posts: 2
    Options
    I think that's phenomonal!! God bless you.

The first thing that came to mind is...I wouldn't wear jeans. They're going to rub and I'm sure, be damn uncomfortable by the time you get to that last flight of stairs. I'd definitely consider workout shorts or even yoga pants. Something light, that will wick away moisture, and won't chafe.

Good luck!!
  • Sistasarita
    Sistasarita Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Take some Kleenex. Your heart and spirit will "feel the burn" more than your knees I'm guessing.
  • dirtyblue
    dirtyblue Posts: 90
    Options
    I think that's phenomonal!! God bless you.

The first thing that came to mind is...I wouldn't wear jeans. They're going to rub and I'm sure, be damn uncomfortable by the time you get to that last flight of stairs. I'd definitely consider workout shorts or even yoga pants. Something light, that will wick away moisture, and won't chafe.

Good luck!!

Good idea on the workout pants instead of Jeans.

Thank you everyone for your support. Like you said, I am sure I will gain strength from the fallen firefighters we are doing this for. I can't imagine what they went through on that day.