Healthy eating... at university?!

Options
Hi guys,
I'm not new here but I've never posted in the forums before. So I thought I'd give it a shot :)

I'm going away to univeristy in september, and this will be my first proper time away from home. I've never really cooked for myself... except for cooking simple things like omelettes and pizzas, haha!
So I was wondering, can anyone recommend any simple but healthy meals that I can make for myself at uni? Bearing in mind I'll be on a student's budget!

Replies

• BSN2Be
    BSN2Be Posts: 23
    Options
    Firstly, what are you going to have to cook with?

I just finished my first year of college and I had to eat at the caf. All I had in the dorm was a microwave. So will you have a kitchen to use or will it be mostly at the dining center?
  • mcgwnkrista
    Options
    Anything with TUNA. I make a tuna sandwich that's under 400 cal consisting of celery, mayo, lemon juice, salt and pepper. I usually put it on sourdough but it feels me up for a longggg time (at least till dinner if not later). I'm in college right now and if you have to eat out, I try to look up the nutrition facts of the resturant so I can pick a pre-determined healthier choice for that meal.

I will strongly urge you to learn how to cook and more often before going away, try some of these recipes to start getting used to making your own HEALTHY meals :) Good luck!

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/collections/cheap_eats
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I'm going into second year! I found that I would buy lettuce, one bell peper (your choice of colour), an onion, and a package of tortilla wraps and be able to at least make veggie wraps for lunch, at an altogether minimal expense. Since I never used the whole onion for the lunches, I'd add it to various things like whole wheat spaghetti for dinner or eggs for a morning omelette. I also used honey mustard as flavouring for EVERYTHING from sandwiches to stir fry so I didn't spend my grocery money on sauces :)
  • cha36jennings
    cha36jennings Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Homemade pizza!
    Mine is warburtons squarish wrap topped with Napolina pizza topping (50-100g). Sprinkle with 30g tesco 1/2 fat mozzerella, 2 slices of red onion and 1/2 red pepper. Oven bake for about 10 mins
    305 calories, 7.5g fat

Top with chicken for something more substantial :-)
  • aray379
    aray379 Posts: 131
    Options
    If you don't have a kitchen I stuck to mostly salads and chicken breast or eggs for my years in dorms without a kitchen! Salads are also easy to make and filling. Hard boiled eggs are easy and are great for lunch as is greek yogurt. I also started eating veggie burgers because they were simple and the meat at school freaked me out! I made veggie wraps with hummus too. Your school should have its nutrional info for the dining centers on its website. Be careful to check those, I go to school in the south and they tend to load everything with butter at my Cafe.
  • fabzab91
    fabzab91 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow, lots of useful replies already! Thanks!
    And as for the kitchen thing... I'll be living in accommodation with a shared kitchen with a microwave & cooker etc. :)