weight loss when travelling?

Options
So I have a bit of a dilemma. In 10 days, I leave for a 2 week trip to Italy. Of course that's the good part and I'm soooo excited! But I'm worried about the food and exercise. Our schedule is packed, so at least we'll be doing a lot of walking. I don't want to limit myself on food. Does anyone have any tips for staying on track while travelling?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    In my experience, the increase in walking can easily offset the majority, if not all, of the increase in calories eaten while on vacation. When I go on vacation, I try to think out what special food I know I'll want that day--is it dessert with dinner or a special breakfast or what--and then I may eat a bit less at the other meals but I don't get really restrictive about it. Plus I might think about it day to day but I balance it over the week. If I have a day where we're not doing any special meals I might stick with simple grilled meat and a fresh salad for lunch and dinner so that the next day I can have the dessert plus the rich entree that I want. Going to Italy and having the food there is something to be enjoyed and not stress over. Enjoy yourself!
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Don't stay up too late. . . Staying awake too long is correlated to eating more than one should.

I don't eat any differently on the road compared to as home. I bring food with me or purchase as needed from whichever grocery stores are convenient. I never eat out unless it's a special circumstance, which is exceedingly rare.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Are you going to be eating out for all meals during the two weeks?

Maybe you can go to a grocery store and buy some food that will help you stay more on track for the morning or lunch. And then eat dinner out. Or whatever works.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Is this a once in a lifetime kind of vacation? If it is, I say eat whatever you want! Just remember that just because something is available and looks delicious doesn't necessarily mean you want it. So indulge! Just pay attention to what you want and when you get full so that you're not overdoing it by eating just to eat.
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I'm about to spend a MONTH in France, and I have the same fear/worry! My plan is to A) Walk or bike everywhere!, B) Purchase breakfast foods at a local market to eat over several days (croissants, coffee at the hotel/airbnb, some yogurts in the fridge), and C) Plan to eat only one big meal per day. This will save on cost as well as calories. Like, I'm totally going to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but, like I said, petit breakfast, then either a light lunch and a restaurant dinner, or a heavy lunch and a super light dinner. Everything is going to look so delicious, but there will always be more. Walk, walk, walk, walk, climb, ride, walk, walk, ride, and indulge once a day.

That's my plan. Good luck, and have fun!!!
  • Crimson21
    Crimson21 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    These all sound like great tips. Let me explain a little further. I'm doing a Trafalgar bus tour. So I'll be in a group of around 50 people, and constantly switching cities. So buying groceries is not an option. All our breakfasts are included. Apparently the breakfasts are massive, so people tend to skip lunch. They're usually too busy for lunch anyways. About half of our dinners are provided as well. So the other half, we have to fend for ourselves. Also, we're doing a wine, cheese, and meat tasting event.

I'm planning on still doing my regular workouts at the hotel hopefully. I don't want to use any excuses for why I can't be healthy while I'm away.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    So many restaurants have their menus online, it makes it easier to plan ahead and pre-log what you can.

Even bus tours can make stops for groceries and sundries, you just have to ask. A few non-perishable go-to items in your day pack might help stave off an episode of overeating, you know? A packet of tuna and a packet of mayo are light to carry and satiating :smiley:
  • TnZMom
    TnZMom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I went to Australia for two weeks and lost three pounds.

Bought to-go cereal for breakfast. Ate out lunch and dinner. Made one of those lunch or dinner meals salad-based. The other meal, lunch or dinner, was whatever looked good.

Maybe in your case, make one of your breakfast or dinner meals salad or other low calorie option based. Buy a box of granola bars or similar for lunch, so you aren't starving for dinner.

But I agree that if this is a once in a lifetime trip, enjoy the food!
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I just spent a month moving across the US (huge roadtrip) visiting family & even attending a wedding (aka 5 day mini vacation) in New Orleans. I gained 2lbs.

When you eat, focus of fruits, veggies & protien. If you eat out, order a dish that has protien as the main (chicken, steak, fish instead of pasta) with sides of veggies or fruit. Avoid things covered in sauce. I know this might not be too realistic in Italy... I mean, half the point of the trip is the amazing food, right? Pick your battles, I suppose. You don't have to get the pasta dish EVERY time. Also, at restaurants don't eat your whole portion. Split the meal with a friend or box up half of it.

Buy portable fruit, veggies & healthy options for breakfast & lunch at a market/grocery store so that dinner can be more fun & adventurous. (This option is nicer on the wallet as well)

Have fun!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The tip would be portion control.
  • Crimson21
    Crimson21 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the great tips! I'm definitely going to have to pay attention to portion control. I'll also try my best to choose the healthier options.