New to the gym--How to get over the intimidation!?!

Options
jackies620
jackies620 Posts: 37 Member
So, as I mentioned in a previous post, I just joined a new gym today. Literally went to sign up and came back home. I want, no I NEED, to add strengthening to my routine, not just the boring cardio which I always do. Being completely new to not only the gym, but to using weight equipment too, how do you get past the intimidation/embarrassment stage? I know that everyone starts somewhere, and nobody is in a gym to judge...But it's still hard to put it in my hindsight. I mean, the weight equipment faces right at the treadmills, ellipticals, etc. so it feels like everything you do is being watched!! HELP! How did you make it through this initial stage??

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I came with a plan.
  • BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    The gym I go to everyone is laid back. They offer assistance if I ever need to have a spot. They offer advice only if I'm okay with receiving it. They are very supportive. Don't let the grunts get to you. Weight lifters generally are awesome people.
  • jackies620
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    I came with a plan.

Maybe that's part of my problem--Being so new to weights, strength training, etc., I don't have a plan put together yet!
  • randomtai
    Options
    jackies620 wrote: »
    randomtai wrote: »
    I came with a plan.

Maybe that's part of my problem--Being so new to weights, strength training, etc., I don't have a plan put together yet!

Strong lifts 5X5 is the one I started with but there are tons of beginner lifting programs out there, just Google them.
  • BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Does your gym offer a free personal training session? You might look into that
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Can you get a personal trainer for a couple sessions? I hired 1 to put a program together for me and work on proper form and technique. Now I can go in, listen to my music and don't feel uncomfortable at all.
  • jackies620
    Options
    Can you get a personal trainer for a couple sessions? I hired 1 to put a program together for me and work on proper form and technique. Now I can go in, listen to my music and don't feel uncomfortable at all.

Definitely going to look into this! I did the basic membership, so it is not included, but with the very minimal cost, I think it's wise for me to also begin this way. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Just ask someone who works there. They will very likely be more than willing to show you how to properly use the equipment. I'm sure they'd rather have that than have someone who doesn't know what they're doing hurt themselves.
  • randomtai
    Options
    jackies620 wrote: »

Definitely going to look into this! I did the basic membership, so it is not included, but with the very minimal cost, I think it's wise for me to also begin this way. Thanks for the suggestion!

Just make sure you are firm in what you want. A lot of PTs have their own brogenda and are full of *kitten*.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I had a plan when I started. Knowing what you plan on doing ahead of time works great. I have a chart where I can write each exercise down and then check off when I've done it and how much weight I lifted. For me it takes courage to walk into a male dominated weight room. I'm getting better at it. You just have to walk in and start doing it. I put my ear buds in and tune out everyone else.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Definitely have a plan. And also forget the idea that you have to spend two hours in the gym.

Go in, do your plan, go home. Don't just kill time because you think you should.
  • btodd304
    btodd304 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have always felt this way about gyms, thus why a traditional gym did not work for me. I joined a gym that all they do is personal training, zumba and bootcamp classes. I know everyone is at the gym for the same reasons and people say they don't judge but I've seen people judging me in the past and I never know what im doing when working out by myself. Maybe they have someone at the gym that can get you familiar with the equipment or maybe pay for 1 or 2 training sessions to get comfortable with them.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    It's all in your head. Put some music on, blast it to full volume and focus on what you are going to do/how you are going to do.
  • OGBrojas
    OGBrojas Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that everyone had a first time at the gym. Definitely have a plan. If you don't know how a machine works, ask.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I agree with OGBrojas- everyone there has already been new before! I started out going to Curves and when I switched to a "real" gym to do weight training I was really nervous- but I found the trainer guy and asked for advice. So, ask what you don't know, and realize that most people are nice and want to be helpful. And for those few who might be judgmental- who cares?? It's their problem, not yours!
  • CarCar0207
    CarCar0207 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I think the classes are a good way to get your feet wet. Plus, it's a great way to meet gym buddies and knowing somebody always helps increase comfort and accountability
  • andilynn00
    andilynn00 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been there & now I'm back there again. :( I have found this routine that I really like. It builds you up slowly & it also has a video to show you how to do things. I really like it. http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/body-transformation
  • BigMike0929
    BigMike0929 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Don't pay attention to anyone there. Chances are they aren't either. Unless they have nothing to do than watch and talk most won't mess with you. Good luck and enjoy it!
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    having a trainer with me the first time I stepped into a squat rack definitely helped with that feeling of intimidation and not knowing what I was doing. and generally after I did something once, it was way easier to do it a second time.