To drink or not to drink.........Diet Coke

Options
tinalatina
tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
Okay, So I read alot about the pros & cons of diet coke. That Diet Soda's arn't really diet at all because you end up drinking more which support obesity. Then there are those on Weight Watchers that drink as many maybe as much as water because the points are free. But really.....I want to know what you all think.

I've been trying to drink my 32 oz of water a day and I still have one diet coke a day. Do you think this will inhibit from loosing more weight?

Replies

• jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I would not blame any weight gain on one diet soda per day, but I would just try to cut it out all together. Why deal with all the negatives that are published about it?
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    If you want a diet coke have one. I drink a couple a day but I also drink a lot of water. I have never had diet coke affect the ability to lose weight.
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    yeah your right.....Im really trying to drink more water but its sooooo hard. But it just dawned on my that Its not harder than I think because I bring a 18 oz bottle of water with me to work each day and this whole time I was considering that bottle as 1 serving of water...... DOIKE!!!! I had a homer simpson moment!
  • Hopeinanguish
    Hopeinanguish Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I know this will sound like a broken record, but I highly recommend upping your water to at least 8 glasses and getting rid of the soda all together. You will feel amazing and it will aid in your weight loss. Good luck!
  • cherrydietcoke1
    Options
    my name says it all......
  • jridgway49
    jridgway49 Posts: 79
    Options
    My doctor suggested caffeine free diet coke......
  • radioloren
    radioloren Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have also read a lot about Diet Coke (and regular Coke too)...and I rarely read anything good about it. I LOVE Diet Coke, but I don't buy it to keep in the house, I will only have it on occasion in a restaurant. I read so many things about it, I don't know what's right, but I kind of feel like something brown and fizzy probably isn't doing any good to my insides lol....just my thoughts.
  • swanny320
    swanny320 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Regardless of the fact that it's DIET, it still contains sodium and can cause you to retain water. I totally understand your need for one but honestly, water would be best. I speak as a person who used to pound 2 liters of Coke a day (not diet!).
  • slratt
    slratt Posts: 1
    Options
    Give it up...it's really bad for you, diet or no diet.
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    no.... not the greatest, but a person's got to have one vice... a diet drink once in a while is a pretty mild one.
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    The reason they say diet soda leads to weight gain is because it makes you crave sweets, which tend to be high in calories. However, if you're monitoring your caloric intake, that shouldn't be a problem. There are plenty of other reasons I've heard for ditching the soda all together, but I still drink anywhere from 1 to 3 diet sodas a day.
  • Ptarmigan74
    Options
    Diet drinks don't have any calories, so no matter how many you drink, they won't directly cause weight gain. There are some studies in rodents that suggest that regularly drinking diet drinks can make you less satiated by sweets (maybe because your body "learns" that they have no calories) and so, if that's true in humans too (a big if), then having a lot of artificial sweeteners might harm your relationship to sweet foods.
  • jrich1
    Options
    Regardless of the fact that it's DIET, it still contains sodium and can cause you to retain water. I totally understand your need for one but honestly, water would be best. I speak as a person who used to pound 2 liters of Coke a day (not diet!).

Diet coke is low in sodium
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I never thought I could do it but after almost 7 months, I don't miss it at all.

Just try to keep it to say 1 a day and the diet & non cafeine kinds if possible. The water is a big must, even more important if drinking soda.

Good Luck!
  • skshep
    skshep Posts: 30
    Options
    I still have one diet soda a day.

I feel like this is a huge accomplishment for me because I used to NEVER drink water (I still don't really like it LOL) and I never had diet ANYTHING. I would drink soda, lemonade, sweet tea, etc. That and I always ate out.

In the past 2 months I have switched to eating 1200 calories a day, exercising 3 times a week and not having more than one Diet soda a day...

I don't care what anyone says. I'M HAVING IT! LOL

I want to still have some simple pleasures in life!
  • jrich1
    Options
    Diet drinks don't have any calories, so no matter how many you drink, they won't directly cause weight gain. There are some studies in rodents that suggest that regularly drinking diet drinks can make you less satiated by sweets (maybe because your body "learns" that they have no calories) and so, if that's true in humans too (a big if), then having a lot of artificial sweeteners might harm your relationship to sweet foods.

I love the lab rat test.. they pump mice with 8 times their body weight in chemical that are remotely found in something and say that it causes cancer.. sure if I pumped myself with 25000 gals of diet coke the chemical MIGHT start to affect me.
  • mtf612
    mtf612 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    One of the first things I did was cut out diet Coke. I always used to drink it with every meal and anytime I was thirsty inbetween. Now days I will occasionally order a diet Coke at a restaurant, but water is my go to drink. Drinking a lot of water aides weightloss, and I strongly reccommend fully replacing soda with water. Add lemon juice if you have to - it will make you thirstier and therefore drink more water.

You ought to be drinking much more than 32oz of water a day by the way. I would reccomend at least 64oz especially if you are on a high protein diet or if you take any supplements. I drink 128oz daily (minimally) but thats because Im using creatine right now. Get a large waterbottle (16oz/32oz) and refill it throughout the day - that way you are being green and healthy as well!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been craving water above everything else, but when I feel like I want a diet coke - I have a diet coke. Although this past couple weeks I've only had two diet cokes, each time only drinking half (I just couldn't stomach any more!). I'm an "everything in moderation" kinda gal, so I say find a moderate amount of diet coke and fit it in your life if that's what you want.

There are possible carcenogens and mineral-depleating compounds and general junk in a lot of things we eat and drink, but that's not going to stop me from eating and drinking those things either.

P.S. I've found that the more water I drink, and the more clean I try to eat/drink, the less I want/crave things like diet coke and beer, so that's been working in my favor.
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I treat diet drinks like a treat that I'm allowed to have more often than sweets, but still not every day. I LOVE peach fresca or berry fresca and I think coke zero and pepsi max tastes best out of all the diet colas. However, I always get in plenty of water and I don't count the soda as water.
  • sherryadams72
    Options
    I normally drink at least 10 (8 oz) glasses of water a day. My drink of choice before watching calories was SWEET tea....its so hard to pass it up, but have probably had 3 glasses since April. Now when I crave something besides water badly enough I will get a diet coke, I figure it has to be better than a big glass of sweet tea. But I agree with the others, drink your water and just use the diet coke as a treat.