Should I be discouraged after 4 weeks?

Options
How long does it take to start seeing results? I have been doing a low calorie diet, and walking 2-3 miles a day for 4 weeks? I have lost close to 14 lbs. but I am seeing no results whatsoever! Maybe because I have at least 100 lbs to lose, but I am getting discouraged. I am wondering how long it should take for me and others to start seeing results? Thanks!!!

Replies

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You're losing a little over 2lbs a week. That's progress! :)
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Your progress is great so far. Keep going.
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    You are doing awesome. It is a process not a quick fix
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    3.5 lbs a week is amazing... If you can keep that rate going for a while, you'll be shopping for a new wardrobe before too long!

A lot of this all goes to where you started and just how much 14-lbs is on your frame... I didn't notice too much until i'd lost about 10% of my starting weight ("your mileage will vary", of course)

I'd dream of having your motivation and/or results!
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Take pictures. Often you can't see changes without a side by side. Also take measurements. Your loss is terrific! You have no reason to feel discouraged!!
  • minicougar
    minicougar Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    14 lbs is huge progress! Set yourself mini goals so that you get that feeling of accomplishment more often. Just remember not to reward yourself with food but something nice like a new top 1 size smaller that will show you're progress. Keep it up you're doing great.
  • pkoll
    pkoll Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    It takes a while for others to notice. Keep at it. You are doing great!
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Losing 14 pounds is a fantastic result!

We all lose weight in different places first, so how it "shows" will always vary. In addition to the scale, take body measurements to compare.

In the meantime, if you don't think you are "seeing" results, think about where that 14 pounds came from -- that is 14 pounds no longer around your heart and lungs and other organs...and that is such a good thing.
  • mathiseasy
    mathiseasy Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You are seeing results-you've lost 14lb! Keep at it and you will continue to see changes.
  • Pikashel
    Pikashel Posts: 61 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'm kind of on the same boat. It's been 3.5 weeks for me and I'm down about 10lbs. Honestly, I wish it was a little faster but I know 2lbs a week is good progress. My weight fluctuates a lot so that doesn't really help me feel better when I'm holding onto more water weight. However, after reading many posts and success stories, I found that most people take 2+ years to lose over 100lbs. It's a process so you just have to keep going and trust that it will happen if you are diligent.

Also, it may only be 10lbs but I look less bloated than I do 3 weeks ago!
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Didn't a lot of posts just disappear?
  • 737jac737
    737jac737 Posts: 54 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    It takes 60 days before your body thinks you're not trying to kill it and you start shedding weight like crazy. You'll know when your underwear and bras are too big and your pants fall off when you walk. The weight comes off quickly after 2 months. Until then you think you're at a standstill. Don't be discouraged, but DON'T CHEAT ON YOUR DIET EVER. You also need an hour of cardio before your first meal so WALK WALK WALK. And PUSH YOURSELF to exercise HARD if you want good results. Friend me and I will motivate you.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Didn't a lot of posts just disappear?

No. The original post was posted twice. The other replies are over there: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10399329/should-i-be-discouraged-after-4-weeks#latest
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    737jac737 wrote: »
    It takes 60 days before your body thinks you're not trying to kill it and you start shedding weight like crazy. You'll know when your underwear and bras are too big and your pants fall off when you walk. The weight comes off quickly after 2 months. Until then you think you're at a standstill. Don't be discouraged, but DON'T CHEAT ON YOUR DIET EVER. You also need an hour of cardio before your first meal so WALK WALK WALK. And PUSH YOURSELF to exercise HARD if you want good results. Friend me and I will motivate you.

how do you know the weight will come off quickly? every one is different and it depends on if they are eating less than they burn, also why an hr of cardio? why not an hr of weight lifting or any exercise? why does it have to be cardio,and why before your first meal? and why should she have to push herself to exercise hard? anyone can see results if they stick with CICO(calories in calories out). I lost weight during a 2 month break from exercise.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

What the WHAT? Um, No. OP, this is nonsense, don't listen to it.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    to the poster. it all takes time. heck Im going on my 4th year of my weight loss journey and for me its been slow but I so far the results have been worth losing it slowly. for me I have no sagging skin(they say the slower you lose it the better off you are,I know genetics do play a part though). but I have kept all but 5 lbs off and I just recently loss those 5lbs and then a little more since then.I have 24 more to go. There are some days I still see my flawed areas and think wow Im still big,but its all in my head,everyone else says compared to before Im like a whole different person lol. Im even smaller in size than I was before/after I had my kids.any loss is to be celebrated.you weigh a little less now than before correct? take pride that what you are doing is working. also start using a tape measure as sometimes you may not see the difference but you will in a measurement.
  • mathiseasy
    mathiseasy Posts: 165 Member
    Options

Your body thinks you're trying to kill it? The weight comes off quickly after 2 months? Don't cheat on your diet ever? One hour of cardio before your first meal? Good results only come from exercising hard? This post is full of so much wtf.
  • akerra27
    akerra27 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    At 70 pounds down...I will say the hardest time for me was the first 6-7 weeks. During this time you are adjusting to portions along with trying to find a schedule, foods etc that work for you. While trying to fight off cravings.
    Keep at it! Just stay CONSISTENT and I promise you everything gets easier. You will find around the 2 month mark you will have a routine. Hunger pains have gotten better and it will become easy and second nature. Just hang in there!!
  • Tyrannasaur
    Tyrannasaur Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm at a similar point to you. 4 weeks in, 9lbs down. 100 more to go. I this may be the hardest part for me as I know I'm making a positive change and I'm losing weight steadily but I can't see or feel any results yet. I think the first time I go down a dress size will such a huge motivator but sometimes I think it just won't happen or it's so far away.

What keeps me at it is knowing that no crash diet I've been on has helped me lose more than 6lbs which I immediately gained back. CICO is working for me so I'm staying dedicated and looking forward to my first NSV. Stick with it!!