Help wanted

Options
can anyone help, my girlfriend has for past 60 days been eating 1000 calories a day sometimes less and doing 30 minutes of jogging most days and today she weighed was extremely disappointed to only to discover a loss of 2lbs in the 60 days.
Her clothes fit much better and she looks leaner she just can't seem to get lighter.

We are running out of ideas she's been so hardworking at this she's frustrated by lack of weight loss.
Help
Regards
S

Replies

• adoette
    adoette Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    There is a reason that MFP sets its minimum calorie count for women at 1200.

Now, there may be any number of reasons why she isn't losing weight, but you haven't really given enough information.

Can you give her height, weight (starting, current, goal), age, etc? Just anything that might give insight into her situation since we currently just have a gender?
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    1000 calories is super low and 99.9999% of the population would lose rapidly at that rate.

My guess would be that she isn't actually eating 1000 calories but is guessing she is eating 1000 calories. Either isn't weighing food to get an accurate reading or is mindlessly snacking/having blowout days that overweigh the 1000 calorie days.

IF she is actually eating 1000 calories a day - which is not recommended at all - there are probably other factors masking the weightloss when it comes to the scale - water retention, poop, pee etc.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    If her clothes fit better and her body is leaner, she's probably doing just fine. There are a lot of factors that can mask weight loss. Remember that scales see EVERYTHING- poo, water, muscle, fat, belly button lint, EVERYTHING> :) Have her stop looking at the scale and start taking her measurements, as well as taking pictures every four weeks or so. :)
    Also, 1000 calories is too low, as others have noted, unless she's very petite.
    You don't give us her stats or mention whether or not she's weighing her food, but if she's not weighing and measuring what she eats, she may be eating quite a bit more than she thinks.
  • shaunbill
    shaunbill Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Many thanks for you're feedback
    She is 44yrs old 5ft7in and 168lbs (12st) starting weight was 12st2lbs goal is 10st12lbs.

She is meticulous in her approach weighs food no snacking.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    She's not eating an average of 1000 calories per day. I'll bet you $100.
  • adoette
    adoette Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    That's pretty much where I am height and weight wise.

It's entirely possible (I don't know her so I have no idea) that she's limiting her caloric intake so much that she's screwing with her fat/muscle balance and that's why she isn't seeing weight loss on the scale.

As much jogging and stuff as she's doing, I would recommend she think about increasing her protein intake and upping her calories to 1200-1300. It might be that because you are seeing changes in her shape and stuff that she's literally changing shapes and that isn't always reflected on the scale. NSV that you will see here and there stands for Non Scale Victory. Maybe she's having one of those. Muscles are good and they weigh more than fat.

Many apologies, for I have now been at work for 12 hours and I'm slightly delirious and I ramble when I'm tired.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    shaunbill wrote: »
    Many thanks for you're feedback
    She is 44yrs old 5ft7in and 168lbs (12st) starting weight was 12st2lbs goal is 10st12lbs.

She is meticulous in her approach weighs food no snacking.

I highly doubt this. Like @WBB55 stated, I'd be willing to bet on that. Unless she has serious medical issues, which is quite rare, the weight would be flying off if she were eating 1000 calories per day and jogging for 30 minutes per day without eating back exercise calories. In fact, she would probably lack the energy to even jog 30 minutes per day on those calories. Not even water weight, her menstrual cycle, bowel movements, or excess sodium would disguise her losses so much that it appeared she only lost 2 pounds in 60 days. So either her food scale is broken, she's not using grams, you said weigh and meant measuring cups, or she's sneaking in food while you're not around.
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I started at a similar weight. I put on a lot of muscle in the first four weeks. The main thing is clothing fitting better not the scale. Maybe have her show her diary of food..that might help. I find if I'm on a low calories like I am, I need a day a week to be 1500 calls. Do do the 1200 min, I've tried lower and it doesn't help you get all ur nutrients for the day eg constipation etc
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I started at a similar weight. I put on a lot of muscle in the first four weeks. The main thing is clothing fitting better not the scale. Maybe have her show her diary of food..that might help. I find if I'm on a low calories like I am, I need a day a week to be 1500 calls. Do do the 1200 min, I've tried lower and it doesn't help you get all ur nutrients for the day eg constipation etc

No you didn't. Why do some women that post here believe they put on a lot of muscle quickly? If it were that easy to do so, everyone would be doing it. I'm not trying to be rude to you specifically; your post just so happened to be the last one of several I've seen in the past few days regarding this. Those of us with muscle building experience know that, with a progressive overload lifting program and a surplus of calories with an optimal diet, the most a woman can hope to gain in muscle per month is up to a pound. Yes, ONE pound.
  • williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    She's not eating an average of 1000 calories per day. I'll bet you $100.

Winner! No way she's not losing a pound a week on 1000 calories
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »

No you didn't. Why do some women that post here believe they put on a lot of muscle quickly? If it were that easy to do so, everyone would be doing it. I'm not trying to be rude to you specifically; your post just so happened to be the last one of several I've seen in the past few days regarding this. Those of us with muscle building experience know that, with a progressive overload lifting program and a surplus of calories with an optimal diet, the most a woman can hope to gain in muscle per month is up to a pound. Yes, ONE pound.

this! how much muscle exactly do you think you put on the first month??