Lost momentum

Options
After 3 years of constant logging and monitoring, I lost 45 lbs, which was honestly about 10lbs below my goal weight. People were saying I looked too thin, so I thought I could stop logging to put back on a few pounds. Problem is, I've gained back 20 lbs, and now I have work to do again. I got rid of all my clothes that were too big, and now everything is starting to feel snug again.

I think I'm realizing that the journey will never be over. I lost all the momentum, and have to regain focus. Does anyone have any ideas for how to regain momentum?

Replies

• Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    I'm right where you are. I want to lose a few more kilos but I think I've slipped into a maintenance mindset. URGH!!!! No idea how to get out of it.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Actually lost the weight easily (9lbs in 10 weeks) by keeping my calorie goal at maintenance but having a mixture of maintenance days and deficit days when it fitted in with lifestyle, exercise etc.
    I am setting my calorie goals for the maintenance weight that I want to be. That way I am already at aspired maintenance calories before I get to maintenance. (But I am only 10 pounds away from goal so I am transitioning ahead of time so I keep it off.)
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss! 10 pounds is nothing compared to what you have already done! Just tell yourself that in 10-12 weeks it will all be gone, and in 5-6 weeks you'll be halfway to your goal (depending on how you do your settings).
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    You can't go back and undo anything.. its in the past. Anything that happened yesterday or 5 minutes ago is now in the past. But you can change the future. Everything is hard the first time. The second time... meh.. not so much.

You already know how to do it. Today or this week is no different.. you are already skilled in this/ We all can inspire each other, but no one can turn the magic light on for us, we have to do it ourselves.. Just go turn back on the switch..
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Just ask yourself if you really want to go and buy bigger clothes...
  • a_candler
    a_candler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. My husband gave me a ton of crappie over looking too skinny. I admit I did look skinny up top and in face, but not unhealthy. Anyways, I've let it slide gained am lost 10 lbs. Which I'm OK with but I've completely stopped working out which isn't helping with keeping things toned!

I've got to find a way to stick with my goals while also finding a compromise or something with my husband.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    a_candler wrote: »
    I'm the same way. My husband gave me a ton of crappie over looking too skinny. I admit I did look skinny up top and in face, but not unhealthy. Anyways, I've let it slide gained am lost 10 lbs. Which I'm OK with but I've completely stopped working out which isn't helping with keeping things toned!

I've got to find a way to stick with my goals while also finding a compromise or something with my husband.

I found that it took a good year for my weight to settle on my body after losing it. I felt kinda skinny at first but the skin etc. just settled.
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I am getting very close to my maintance goal range. I found an app that log my weight daily
    I wanted to see the trend of the weight.0
  • pinkteapot3
    pinkteapot3 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up for what's happened. The past is the past and all that matters is what you need to do. If I've understood right, you were 10lbs under goal and have gained 20, so you want to lose 10lbs? That's what you tell yourself.

"Right, 10lbs to lose - that'll only take a couple of months, then I get my higher cals for maintenance again."

Take it one day at a time, change your MFP goal back to weight loss to reduce the cal allowance and start logging. Unlike the first time, you KNOW you lost before so you KNOW it's possible. :smiley:
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm with you sister - almost exact same story. I think I had weight loss "burn-out" and just didn't want to log any more. I'm up 20 lbs from my goal, and it happened gradually. So I'm back to work with a goal set for the summer (I'm a school teacher) to remember what got me to my goal weight in the first place. The biggest lesson I have learned - maintenance for me doesn't really mean more food. Also, I ALWAYS have a choice to eat or not to eat.

By the way, I think if you posted here you are ready to dig in and head back to your goal. You can do it!
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Just ask yourself if you really want to go and buy bigger clothes...

I think this is key.... I do NOT want to buy new clothes. I just replaced all my fat clothes AND the clothes I bought on my journey down to where I feel comfortable and confident.

That keeps me in the swing of maintaining. You can get back on the horse! Resume logging everything. I find that helps me say no to my cravings.