Fridge left open- help!

Options
2»

Replies

• sallygroundhog
    sallygroundhog Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My refrigerator is broken.
    I think all the condiments and jellies and fermented vegetables will be ok. I will check them when my fridge is fixed. Some chicken in the freezer is still frozen, and I'm going to cook it today. Yoghurt should also be fine; it will just make more yoghurt bacteria.
    I'm considering boiling the eggs. I've heard that eggs will keep out of refrigeration as long as they've never been refrigerated, but once they have been refrigerated, they need to stay refrigerated. I don't know if this is true. I think they are pretty safe as long as they are in their uncracked shells.
    Repair man is coming on Tuesday.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I go by smell. If it smells off or spoiled, I chuck it. I've eaten food from a fridge that had no power for 2 days and no issues.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others that you would be fine. We have had that happen before. My husband and I would still eat/drink the food but I would probably not give it to my kids. If your unsure you could still at least cook something to use up the milk/yogurts. The other stuff would be fine.
  • TylerMJ76
    TylerMJ76 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't throw any of it out... you should see how careless I was in college about stuff like this...
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    We throw out too much food unnecessarily. I would have just closed the door and kept it moving.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Eggs will be fine as you shouldn't store them in the fridge anyway.

Depends on where you live. In the U.S. eggs go in the fridge.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'm a real germaphobe. If it were me I'd dump the soy milk and yoghurt if they're open, keep them if they haven't been opened (but that's my paranoia in action). I wouldn't worry about the rest, except if the fruits or veggies are damp, there might be bacterial growth. If so, I'd wash them well before using them. I read somewhere recently that most cases of food poisoning happen because of E. Coli on produce rather than dairy or egg products going "off". That's apparently what caused the poisonings at the Chipotle chain a few months ago.