Need to lose 40 lbs by September!!

Options
Do you think it's possible the old fashioned way? No diet pills, no personal trainer, no PlexusSlimHerbalifeAdvocare etc... JUST diet and exercise. I'm out of shape and have had weak willpower in the past but this is my short term goal!

Replies

• VelociFit
    VelociFit Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    That's about 14 weeks, it looks like, or about 2.9 lbs/week. It's possible, but very difficult to maintain that rate of loss for so long, I would say. The higher your starting weight, the easier it would be, e.g. 300lbs vs 150lbs.

Machka9's advice is excellent. Any net loss is a victory, in the end. Best of luck! :)
  • cristalina95
    cristalina95 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments & well wishes! I put September as my goal because 1- husband is taking me on a cruise & 2- something very big could happen shortly thereafter & I want to be as healthy as possible. I'm starting @ a high weight & my end game is to lose a VS Angel worth of weight & then just maintain. Lol I know it won't happen overnight & am I'm in for a long journey but these first 40 I was hoping to lose by then because of life events. Any loss will be great tho!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,913 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments & well wishes! I put September as my goal because 1- husband is taking me on a cruise & 2- something very big could happen shortly thereafter & I want to be as healthy as possible. I'm starting @ a high weight & my end game is to lose a VS Angel worth of weight & then just maintain. Lol I know it won't happen overnight & am I'm in for a long journey but these first 40 I was hoping to lose by then because of life events. Any loss will be great tho!

Like I said, start now and stick to it. If you do that you have a much better chance of being as healthy as possible.
  • simpinguk96
    simpinguk96 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Of course you can! I have lost almost 7 stone since December just by exercising and eating very little :smile:
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Of course you can! I have lost almost 7 stone since December just by exercising and eating very little :smile:

I wouldn't recommend "eating very little." Follow Machka's advice and you will see results. 40 pounds in 14 weeks is an ambitious goal, so you may not meet your deadline. However, even if you only lose 20 pounds you're still that much further ahead than you are now!
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    It basically depends on how much you have to lose. Anything less than 60-70lb total, and you'll be struggling to lose that amount in just 14 weeks. if you're determined (and you have admitted lack of willpower is a problem), then something close to 30lb is just about possible. To be honest, I'd put a target of 25lb loss for 14 weeks (less than 2lb per week). It's doable, reasonably sustainable, and will still give you a big weight loss number by the time you go on holiday. But you still need to find that willpower, no matter what the number is you're targeting. it's just a little easier if you don't have to resort to the whole 'cut everything out and exercise for hours' to get to the calorie goal that will give you the required numbers! A smaller calorie deficit, a modest increase in your exercise routine would see you hit a very respectable number in 3+ months. Consistency is key! Plus, it sounds like you're aiming for 'healthy' rather than 'gotta get that bikini body'. Focus on a good diet and regular exercise of any kind, rather than a restrictive diet and massive amounts of exercise, and you'll be setting yourself up for a much better long-term healthy body.
  • sylkates
    sylkates Posts: 173 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    ... I'm starting @ a high weight & my end game is to lose a VS Angel worth of weight & then just maintain.

I had to look up what a "VS Angel" was... and it made me laugh. Thanks. :)

Victoria-Secret-Angels-Tan.jpg

You have a good attitude about things, and if your starting weight/TDEE is high enough, 30 or even 40 pounds is doable. Go for it!
  • MrOtto2016
    MrOtto2016 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You can do it!. I have dropped 19 lbs in just under a month
    How you ask?.. Use the CICO method and track everything u put in your mouth honestly. Eat a lot of protein which keeps u full longer. Add some walking to your routine. It really works if you stick with your daily calorie intake. You don't need pills.. Stick here with MFP and we will all help!
  • cristalina95
    Options
    Thank you guys so much for the encouragement! It's been raining for the past three days and I haven't exercised at all. Feeling like poo too because I did so good since I posted and today I went way off the plan, had mini tacos and corn in a cup. I love food so this is hard but I know with support I can do it, I really appreciate yall!
  • jayrow473
    jayrow473 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I lost 51#s in 1 month ,3 weeks and 5 days
  • Makingmyselfover
    Makingmyselfover Posts: 47 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    jayrow473 wrote: »
    I lost 51#s in 1 month ,3 weeks and 5 days

NO. WAY.
    Please tell me what did u did? How much is that u r overweight? Please tell me
  • cristalina95
    Options
    So I'm modifying my goal yall- 30 lbs by September. I think 40 is a bit out of reach for me and my current situation. Here's hoping I can really stick to my guns this time!
  • alan2win
    alan2win Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It is all about accountability. If you continue to write everything down even after you go off the rails you will succeed. Your bad days will be less extreme and your subconscious will hold you to task.
    Keep writing everything down on my fitness pal.