for women that are on the shot as birth control...

Options
2»

Replies

• hollyrolly20
    Options
    hey i was on the shot 6 months ago, and i had trouble as well losing weight, but i also had alot of other problems, i swore once i got off i would tell everyone how horrible it was, my hands and arms would go numb and would be useless for a couple of minutes. i had no sex drive, gaines weight, and was a total b all the time, when i got off i relized it also can soometimes cause infertility, my sister and myself both had misscarriages after being off the shot. please read comment sites of the drug you will find many similar stories as i did. i would recommend getting off it asap. i have the murana now and its the best thing ever!
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Ive been on it for about 10 years now I think. Yes, I gained weight, but Im pretty sure that was my twice daily Mc Donalds habit that did that to me. Thyroid has been checked, bone density checked, Im all good. I did go off it once about 5 years ago. My period came right away the next month, I couldnt take it, went right back on!

Id like to add that I have read a lot of research studies regarding depo and weight gain. Average weight gain is something like 4 lbs over 8 years. Im ok with that.
  • jenwarship
    jenwarship Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I hate birth control in general- all of them seem to affect me (depression/weight gain/difficult weight loss) but the shot was the worst. I, too, turned into a total crazy person and gained weight. Everyone is different though and some people have worse reactions than others. Talk to your doctor and try something else for awhile to see if it makes a difference?
  • ljsmamma07
    ljsmamma07 Posts: 30
    Options
    hey i was on the shot 6 months ago, and i had trouble as well losing weight, but i also had alot of other problems, i swore once i got off i would tell everyone how horrible it was, my hands and arms would go numb and would be useless for a couple of minutes. i had no sex drive, gaines weight, and was a total b all the time, when i got off i relized it also can soometimes cause infertility, my sister and myself both had misscarriages after being off the shot. please read comment sites of the drug you will find many similar stories as i did. i would recommend getting off it asap. i have the murana now and its the best thing ever!

i have noticed that my sex drive is horrible now too! unfortantly i just got it again a month ago so i just basicly have to let it wear off at this point, but after that im not getting it again. i had the IUD before but took it out because it was hurting during sex and i wanted to let me body go back to normal for a while before we started trying for another baby, but my hubby was worried we would get prego before we wanted to and im not good at taking pills so i did the shot again. but after i just couldnt stop eating! ive gained about 10lb in the 4 months that ive been on it. when im done having kids, i will be getting the iud again!
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Depo-Provera has not affected my weight loss.