Feeling My Age

Options
Hello. My name is Garth (no, not that Garth! lol). When I went to bed last night I was only 36 y/o. This morning when I got up I discovered that overnight I had aged to: (let's just say I qualify for social security). And lately I've been feeling my age--and older! My doctor says my numbers are good but he wants to see me lose some weight. I figure I could stand to lose 60#. Against the advice of my Lay-Z-Boy, I'm going to take a stab at eating better and exercising. Any words of encouragement are welcome.

Replies

• fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Good plan! Tell your Lay-Z-Boy you are only doing it to ease its 'burden' by shedding some weight and getting healthier. It will give you both benefits
  • Budgirl2455
    Budgirl2455 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    :D Love your sense of humor. Sounds like they made more than one of those Lay-Z-Boy's chairs. Well really you had good news since your numbers were good other than a bit more "stuffing in your chair" ;) . It's just like maintaining your vehicle. You change the oil, keep it clean, good fuel and rotate the tires :) . No problem you got this! B)
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk. After a while, take a longer walk. After a while mix in a light jog in that walk which is slowly getting longer. Get a few weights, or an adjustable set of dumbbells ( I like the Power Block adjustable) find Fitness Blender on the web (or another exercise routine) and follow a routine or two. Start light, increase weight as you go long. Keep track of calories in and out, make sure in is less than out. One thing leads to another and before long you are in better shape, running for a while and feeling much better. It is worth the effort.

You ain't much older than me. To quote a shoe company: "Just Do It".
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Start at a comfortable pace and increase as the exercise gets easier. Find exercises or activities that you enjoy because those are the ones you'll be more likely to stick with.

Good luck to you!
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    You can do this and believe me the benefits will be so worth it. Start with small changes and work up to bigger ones. If you're going to log your food I suggest pre-logging your day or at least meal by meal. That's the one thing that has helped me the most.......that and kicking *** at the gym!

And remember age is only a number...........I'm 66 and feel 36!

Lose a little weight and exercise and you can reverse the clock!
  • garthcrider
    garthcrider Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    fldiver97 wrote: »
    Good plan! Tell your Lay-Z-Boy you are only doing it to ease its 'burden' by shedding some weight and getting healthier. It will give you both benefits

Can't, fldiver97. My Lay-Z-Boy isn't speaking to me anymore! But I'm going to keep at it!
  • garthcrider
    Options
    :D Love your sense of humor. Sounds like they made more than one of those Lay-Z-Boy's chairs. Well really you had good news since your numbers were good other than a bit more "stuffing in your chair" ;) . It's just like maintaining your vehicle. You change the oil, keep it clean, good fuel and rotate the tires :) . No problem you got this! B)

You're right, Budgirl. It's like keeping a machine running in perfect tune! Thanks!
  • garthcrider
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Go for a walk. After a while, take a longer walk. After a while mix in a light jog in that walk which is slowly getting longer. Get a few weights, or an adjustable set of dumbbells ( I like the Power Block adjustable) find Fitness Blender on the web (or another exercise routine) and follow a routine or two. Start light, increase weight as you go long. Keep track of calories in and out, make sure in is less than out. One thing leads to another and before long you are in better shape, running for a while and feeling much better. It is worth the effort.

You ain't much older than me. To quote a shoe company: "Just Do It".

Yup, Pondee629..... JUST DO IT !!!!!! Great advice!
  • drgmac
    drgmac Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I'm 50... I am just trying to keep my *kitten* from sagging into the hinterlands of middle age and not develop a "thutt"-- which is that fly pancake look of having a butt that melts into your thighs. The struggle is real, but I'm fighting the good fight.
  • drgmac
    drgmac Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    No idea why that word got substituted. Should say "rear" ...I should preview before posting