An Activity a Day (For 'Disability/'Health-Challenged' Folk)

Options
cryptobrit
cryptobrit Posts: 200 Member
edited May 2016 in Challenges
The idea of this is to encourage one another to achieve a physical goal per day. It is so easy to do nothing when in pain or fatigue. However small or large it is; it is still an achievement in our aim to stay as fit as possible.

Replies

• m_halla110
    m_halla110 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi, sounds great. How do I join you? I am new here, and really don't know how to go about anything up here. I need all the encouragement I can get. Let me know what to do.
    Thanks,
  • cryptobrit
    Options
    As far as I know m_halla110, I think we just post here as and when each day. That's what I am hoping :)

I will kick it off for today. I have mobility and lung problems along with chronic pain. I adapt dance and exercise so I can do what I can. I should have also mentioned I created this for all types of health problems and not just physical; so that also includes mental health and any other 'needs' categories.

This evening my activity was adapted Salsa which I did more of a shuffle than a dance, along with the arm movements. Also Qi Qong to wind down. If you don't know, Qi Qong is a form of gentle movement and breathing that is a type of Tai Chi.
  • rjsangel84
    rjsangel84 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the idea of this challenge!!!! How can I join???
  • cryptobrit
    Options
    Welcome rjsangel84. As above, I think you just post each day here. But I am going to double check I am correct a little later.
  • cryptobrit
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hi all. It is a bit confusing as under FAQ for challenges it says they are only available for those in the US; but this challenge is showing under challenges in my list. I have clicked on the star button which adds the group/challenge to favourites which seems to be another way of doing it. The official MFP instructions state the following:

Home > General Questions / Getting Started > MFP Challenges
    MFP Challenges

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):

Where can I sign up?
    From our mobile apps (Android or iOS):
    Open the Menu Bar - iOS= "More" Button (Bottom Right of Screen; Android = 3 Horizontal line icon (top left of Screen)
    Next tap "Challenges" from the menu bar
    Then tap the Challenge icon
    Finally, tap the blue "Join Challenges" button located at the bottom of your screen

What are the prizes?
    To see a list of Prizes and Achievements, please:

From our mobile apps (Android or iOS):
    Open the Menu Bar - iOS= "More" Button (Bottom Right of Screen; Android = 3 Horizontal line icon (top left of Screen)
    Next tap "Challenges" from the menu bar
    Then tap "Prizes" located just under the challenge listing near the top of the screen

Can I invite others to join?
    Yes, during the sign-up process you will have the opportunity to invite fellow friends from MyFitnessPal, Facebook, Twitter, and even by email. (You will also have the opportunity to invite friends after you've signed up)
    I've signed up, now what?
    Now that you've signed up, you can track your progress from your "My Challenges" page. This is visible within the "Challenges" tab located within the menu bar. From there, you can see a summary of your progress, invite friends (Tap "Friends" tab located near the top of the screen), Review details, prizes, or rules of the challenge. You can even swipe from right to left on the "My Challenges" menu bar to revealed some avocado recipes, courtesy of our Hello Health blog team.
    How can I stop participating in the challenge?
    Sorry to see you go, but leaving the challenge can be accomplished from the Summary page of your "My Challenges" screen. Just swipe to the bottom, tap "Leave Challenge" and confirm leaving on the next pop-up window.
    I don't see my question asked here.
    Our Customer Happiness team will be happy to help provide assistance with any additional questions or concerns you may have regarding this challenge. Just shoot us an email to support@myfitnesspal.com and they will get back to you with the assistance you require.

Remember this will only apply if in the US. If in another country like myself; you can do as already stated above and treat it like a favourite group.

I would love to see this challenge/group take off as there are too many similar groups out there that are not particularly encouraging or supportive. This one aims to be always an 'ear' for members, and no question or problem is ever too stupid. Support and encouragement is the name of the game.
  • m_halla110
    m_halla110 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi Cryptobrit,
    I have not given up yet. Just trying to figure out how to do this. So I am here. I will let you know what I find out.
    Hoping all is going well with you. You will hear from me again soon as I get this right.

Take care,
  • loobe1066
    loobe1066 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Can I join it sound like a good idea
  • Holly_belle
    Holly_belle Posts: 4,042 Member
    Options
    Hey all. Sounds like there is some confusion. I'm a veteran of MFP and the groups. Been around for over 2 years.

The challenges are something sponsored by UnderArmour.

@cryptobrit, what you want to do, is create a group. Then people can join or be invited. Anyone from across the world who is a member here can join. This particular thread is really meant to get the word out about what you are wanting to do and have people express their interest in it.
  • cryptobrit
    Options
    Thanks Holly_belle. I shall do that and invite those here who are interested.
  • Holly_belle
    Holly_belle Posts: 4,042 Member
    Options
    You'll be the group moderator, so you can either keep the group private or have it open to anyone to join.
  • cryptobrit
    Options
    Hi everyone. After taking Holly_belle's excellent advice I have created a group. I have tried putting in your names in the invite section but MFP is saying there is no such person! If you would like to join, this is the link: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/114346-an-activity-a-day-for-health-challenged-folk

I have set it for private which means anyone can see the name but not the content, and if wanting to join you have to ask. Hope you all will join and tell anybody else who you think it would be suitable for.