Should I be discouraged after 4 weeks?

Options
2»

Replies

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. Have you lost 14 lbs or are you seeing no results?
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    So I found that it was when I lost about 50% of the weight I wanted to lose that I noticed the most, and then after that, every 2 pounds I lost was a higher percentage of what I had left to lose. So it was very noticeable. Some where here in the forums is the "weight loss is like a roll of paper towels" theory . I can't remember the exact words, but it was like you don't notice the roll of paper towels is getting smaller until some point where one paper towel is more than half or more coverage of the whole roll. I dropped one pant size with the first 50% , and then about every 15% of the total I lost another pant size till I got to my current maintenance size ... just my experience, your experience is your own unique experience!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    How long does it take to start seeing results? I have been doing a low calorie diet, and walking 2-3 miles a day for 4 weeks? I have lost close to 14 lbs. but I am seeing no results whatsoever!

I think you're getting mixed messages in this thread because "seeing results" can mean different things. If you've lost 14 pounds, you are seeing results on your scale.

If you mean, "When will I look different in the mirror?" it's tough to say. You see yourself every day, so it's hard to notice very small changes. It helps to take progress pictures. I did them every 6-8 weeks. There doesn't seem to be much change between each picture and the next, but if I look at the first and then the fourth, the change is obvious.

If you mean, "When will other people notice that I have changed?" the answer really varies. People you see regularly might not notice until you've lost quite a lot. People you see rarely are more likely to notice. For me, those people noticed when I had lost 25 pounds or so.
  • AlyM725
    AlyM725 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 20 pounds, but I still feel like I haven't seen any results. Everyone else sees it. I think it's more mental than anything. You are your harshest critic. Just keep going. One day you will see results and it will all be worth it.
  • cowano630
    cowano630 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    sw - 183#, cw - 158#, goal - varies but right now shooting for 145#. I have lost 25# and still am the same pants size. While that is a bit discouraging, I do take pics every 4 weeks and you can see a difference in those. This is day 60 of being serious on MFP. It does get easier.
  • rkontaratos
    rkontaratos Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    for me it was 4 weeks that I noticed a difference in myself (ie. clothes fitting loser), about 8 weeks before my immediate friends and family could tell a difference and the rest of the world at around 4 mths in. Don't worry if you're consistant the results will follow, just keep at it. All the small changes will have a large payoff if you stick w/ it. All the best on your journey.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    How long does it take to start seeing results? I have been doing a low calorie diet, and walking 2-3 miles a day for 4 weeks? I have lost close to 14 lbs. but I am seeing no results whatsoever! Maybe because I have at least 100 lbs to lose, but I am getting discouraged. I am wondering how long it should take for me and others to start seeing results? Thanks!!!

Wait....how low calorie are you talking about here? How many calories are you consuming?
    How are you counting your calories @skirtgirl95 ? Are you weighing all your solid and semi solid food on a food scale in grams? Are you logging your food on myfitnesspal? Can you please open your diary?

14lbs in 4 weeks ARE results..... HUGE ones.

There is no hurry...take your time. Weight loss isn't a race, it's a marathon. 2lbs per week is plenty

Giving up after 4 weeks isn't really the best thing to do. It didn't take 4 weeks to gain the weight, it certainly won't take 4 weeks to lose it. :)

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    737jac737 wrote: »
    It takes 60 days before your body thinks you're not trying to kill it and you start shedding weight like crazy. You'll know when your underwear and bras are too big and your pants fall off when you walk. The weight comes off quickly after 2 months. Until then you think you're at a standstill. Don't be discouraged, but DON'T CHEAT ON YOUR DIET EVER. You also need an hour of cardio before your first meal so WALK WALK WALK. And PUSH YOURSELF to exercise HARD if you want good results. Friend me and I will motivate you.
    Seriously. No. I lost weight in my first month. If you're in a calorie deficit, it won't take 60 days.
    Also, no for the second one. I don't do that, and I've lost over 80lbs. Exercise does not equal weight loss. Those confined to wheelchairs can lose weight, so your post doesn't make much sense.

I'm sorry, but this is advice is a little silly. -_-