Protein Bars

Options
I've recently been adding protein bars to my exercise and diet routine. I notice that a lot of them contain tons of sugar. I am trying to find a bar that is low in sugar and high in actual protein. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Search for recipes for homemade protein bars. Cheaper, and you can control the amount of sugar etc
  • chimaerandi
    chimaerandi Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    The Oh Yeah One bars are really good and have 1g sugar
  • StephSchiff3
    StephSchiff3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just buy the Atkins bars for emergency snacks when I end up somewhere with nothing low carb on the menu that I actually want to eat. My opinion based on results for myself (without evidence) is that they're fine for maintenance or more active days, but you're not going to lose much eating them if you're still trying to lose. That being said, they're far superior to what is typically sold as a "protein bar" when it comes to carbs.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I'm biased because these are the ones I eat. Pure Protein bars can go from 1g-3 g of sugar per 50 g bar. The dark chocolate coconut has 1 g sugar (6 g sugar alcohol) and 19 g protein. Not sure if you wanted to know about sugar alcohols as well.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,614 Member
    Options
    I just buy the Atkins bars for emergency snacks when I end up somewhere with nothing low carb on the menu that I actually want to eat. My opinion based on results for myself (without evidence) is that they're fine for maintenance or more active days, but you're not going to lose much eating them if you're still trying to lose. That being said, they're far superior to what is typically sold as a "protein bar" when it comes to carbs.

If the op logs the protein bar and is still within her calorie goal, why wouldn't she still lose?

Op, these days I eat quest bars, pure protein, B Up, and powerbars but I'm not concerned about the sugar so can't help you there. :)
  • StephSchiff3
    StephSchiff3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

If the op logs the protein bar and is still within her calorie goal, why wouldn't she still lose?

Op, these days I eat quest bars, pure protein, B Up, and powerbars but I'm not concerned about the sugar so can't help you there. :)

Not a clue, like I said, FOR ME that's the way it works. My body doesn't seem to respond well. The days I end up with an Atkins bar are usually lower calorie days when I grab them because I don't want anything but need enough to make my minimum calorie goals. Same thing with eating nuts. There's no logical reason they end up throwing me into a plateau, but they seem to.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Pure protein bars
  • julie2038
    julie2038 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I'm biased because these are the ones I eat. Pure Protein bars can go from 1g-3 g of sugar per 50 g bar. The dark chocolate coconut has 1 g sugar (6 g sugar alcohol) and 19 g protein. Not sure if you wanted to know about sugar alcohols as well.

This one is my favorite!!
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I like Oatmega and the Kind bars with less than 5 g sugar. Pure Protein is good, too.
  • cmtristani
    cmtristani Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Quest bars or zone perfect for me. I can work them in to my diet easy, I usually have one a day. They are great at 3 pm when I am starving but don't want a whole meal
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,614 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

Not a clue, like I said, FOR ME that's the way it works. My body doesn't seem to respond well. The days I end up with an Atkins bar are usually lower calorie days when I grab them because I don't want anything but need enough to make my minimum calorie goals. Same thing with eating nuts. There's no logical reason they end up throwing me into a plateau, but they seem to.

Oh weird. Not you...just what the protein bars do to you. :)

I can't be near nuts unless there's a scale nearby too because wayyyyyy too many that are more than the serving size end up in my mouth and I tend to underestimate if I don't weigh.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Weird, I eat Pure Protein and mine has 11g sugar per 75gr bar. I had no idea they had low sugar varieties too.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Well... I typically don't give a hoot about sugar but I eat the ThinkThin protein bars for a snack occasionally. They have 0 grams of sugar but 10 grams of sugar alcohol. Tbh, I don't know what sugar alcohol is. I only eat them as a snack because they're high in protein and relatively low in calories (20g protein, 230 calories).

They are one of the only protein bars that I actually think taste good. NOT great, but good! :smile:
  • lilladyred
    lilladyred Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Quest bars ix58oexumibo.jpg
    Like cookies and cream best but was checking out other flavors
  • UncaToddly
    UncaToddly Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have been using the Pure Protein bars for about a year and they work out well. They have that feeling of a real candy bar but not exactly the taste. The flavors are good though. While I haven't tried the Pure Protein Fruit & Nut variety, the sugar content is much greater on them. I get the Costco pack that contains 1 box each (9 bars per box iirc) of the 50g Chewy Chocolate Chip, Chocolate Deluxe & Chocolate Peanut Butter. All are 180-210 cal., 20-21g protein and 2-3g of sugar. Some of the other flavors are as low as 1g sugar (Dark Choc. Coconut).

I have recently started trying the Quest bars which are nice as they are readily available and have some nice flavor changes like White Chocolate Raspberry and S'mores and such. The 60g bars tend to be around 2g of sugar.

While waiting to checkout at Costco the other day there was a lady in front of us who had Kirkland Signature Protein Bars and that was the first time I had seen them. The box had a mix of 2 different types of 60g bars that had great flavor (Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough and Chocolate Brownie). Like I said, great flavor and 190 cal, 22g carbs, 15g Fiber, 4g Sugar Alcohol, 21g protein and only 1g of sugar. Only 5 grams of carbs net and 21g protein, for those of us doing low cab/high protein, great bar.
  • ElJefePerron
    ElJefePerron Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

Pure Protein is my favourite too.
  • ScoobaChick
    ScoobaChick Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My favourites are Quest bars with Oh Yeah bars being a close second. They are also super high in fiber.
  • lenoresdream
    lenoresdream Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Quest is my fav so far, and a great variety of flavors other than the usual pb, nut, chocolate you usually see.

Strawberry cheesecake? *Grabby hands*
  • cmtristani
    cmtristani Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    lilladyred wrote: »
    Like cookies and cream best but was checking out other flavors

Cookies and cream is like dessert! The raspberries and white chocolate is good too!
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Combat Crunch is my favorite. It has 5g per bar. My second favorite is Quest, now that they have re-engineered their formula.