Avocado

Options
laffek
laffek Posts: 20 Member
How do you weigh/measure an avocado? Whole and unopened? Pealed? The calorie counts listed in the database....are they for whole or opened and scooped out?

Replies

• ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Roughly, one whole Avocado is usually 11 to 13 tablespoons. One serving is one fifth of a whole, but quartering servings is just fine.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You always weigh just the parts you eat (unless you happen to find an entry in the database that specifies otherwise).
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Go get a food scale.
    Walmart, target, bbbeyond have them for around $20.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I love avocado and I eat a lot of them . I just simply look for it on my fitness pal and can always find the calorie content of either one fourth avocado one half avocado or a whole avocado no need to weigh it.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Scoop it out of its shell and weigh it by the gram, and use a "USDA" Entry in the database.

THIS. Every word.
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I weigh the entire avocado (or half of it, depending what I plan to use), scoop it out, and weigh the empty shell/pit afterward. Then I subtract the second weight from the first and use a database entry that specifies "avocado MEAT".
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I love avocado and I eat a lot of them . I just simply look for it on my fitness pal and can always find the calorie content of either one fourth avocado one half avocado or a whole avocado no need to weigh it.

Your avocado calories are going to vary GREATLY. This is a food that should be weighed.

Yes definitely! Sometimes a half weighs 49g, and others may weigh over 60g. It's important to be accurate, no use guesstimating..

• bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options

Every avocado does not weigh the eclectic same size, though.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist. Easy to determine the calories. Increase or decrease according to size.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options

It doesn't take a rocket scientist. Easy to determine the calories. Increase or decrease according to size.

I have half an avocado in my salad, each time I don't always cut it exactly in half and the do differ very much in size. Some days there will be a 10g difference, so I think weighing the parts you eat is the best and more accurate way of logging it.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options

If one half of one avocado, weighs 32 grams, and half of another weighs 75 grams, that's a large difference in calories.

And yes, it DOES take science to lose weight and count calories.
  • laffek
    laffek Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have a food scale....at home. I'm usually opening and eating my avocado at work where there is no food scale. Any tips on scooping out ahead of time and preventing it from getting brown before I eat it???
  • CrosbyMcDowell
    CrosbyMcDowell Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Squeeze some lemon or lime juice, keep the pit (or just a pit I suppose) in your container. I think this is most effective if you mash it and then stir in the juice. I use mashed avocado on salad and if you stir it all together some it acts like dressing and coats everything. Yum!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    laffek wrote: »
    I have a food scale....at home. I'm usually opening and eating my avocado at work where there is no food scale. Any tips on scooping out ahead of time and preventing it from getting brown before I eat it???

It's usually fine if I weigh it in the morning and keep in the refrigerator until lunch