Shin Splints Anyone?

Options
I am struggling with shin splints. I have been doing really well with my exercising when I hit a brick wall...shin splints. I went to see my doctor and she said to keep on exercising and gave me NO advice at all for dealing with these. I have continued exercising, but I feel like I may be hurting myself. Does anyone have any advice or a work out that is shin splint safe, but still challenging?

Replies

• rsalgado
    rsalgado Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with shin splints. I have been doing really well with my exercising when I hit a brick wall...shin splints. I went to see my doctor and she said to keep on exercising and gave me NO advice at all for dealing with these. I have continued exercising, but I feel like I may be hurting myself. Does anyone have any advice or a work out that is shin splint safe, but still challenging?
  • jazpiri
    jazpiri Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    First, make sure you ice them. Second, avoid exercises that are high impact. Third, strengthen your shins by doing toe taps. When you are sitting or standing keep your heel on the ground and tap your toes up and down quickly moving side to side. Does that make sense?
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    I get really bad shin splints when I use the treadmill. They mostly occur from trying to go too fast or at too high an incline. If I warm up slowly, I can usually get up to the speed or incline that I want, but I have to be really careful.

I have found that I am much better with elliptical machines or stationary bikes. Any type of equipment that does not add stress to my shins - something about the pounding (even on a treadmill) that disagrees with me.

The other alternative (if you are doing primarily floor exercises) is to do lower impact, but high energy aerobics - basically you can move around as much as you need, but not so much jumping or bouncing hard.

What types of exercises have you been trying? janiebeth
  • twilight
    Options
    i get them too with running for volleyball, and in my workouts. i normally tape them up, and take some ibproferen. if you get athletic tape, and wrap it around the part of your shin where you get the most pain, sometimes it helps, at lest it works for me. our trainer for school tells the athletes to do this.
    btw, your doctor is telling the truth, believe it or not. if you keep running, your shins will feel better, but ive been there, and it hurts until you reach that point.

good luck, hope this helps
    :bigsmile:
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    If you are running or walking try to do it on dirt/ground rather than sidewalks. Its easier on the shins! I used to get shin splints a ton...you really do just have to deal with it! its just a muscle that you are not used to using, so if you strengthen it it will hurt less!

good luck!
  • johnblake
    johnblake Posts: 661
    Options
    shoes is the first thing I change out when my shins start acting up. the next thing is pain meds to get you through the pain. next find some workouts that are not so impact try the eliptical
  • Drewseph
    Options
    The best things I've found for shin splints are bananas. They have a lot of Potassium, and cut down on the effects of a splint. Stretching and Ibuprofen are also good ways to take the edge off ahead of time...but, continuious dependence on Ibuprofen is bad for your stomach over time. SO...go bananas!
  • Schaff
    Schaff Posts: 83
    Options
    I used to have terrible shin splints. My trainer at the time would watch me run and gave me some tips on adjusting my form. Make sure you are leaning slightly forward when you run, it moves your weight more forward and off the problem area. Next, make sure you are picking up your feet enough. Try running almost having your heels touch your hamstrings, it may feel a little weird at first, but it should alter your stride so your shins won't be feeling the stress so much. Heat before and ice after a workout. Hope that helps!

Oh, and shoes are definitely a life changer! If you have a Fleet Feet anywhere near you, I absolutely recommend going there for some kicks. They not only helped with the shin problems, but I have had surgery on both of my knees, and I have more strength now then I did pre-surgery due largely in part because I have really good shoes.
  • jim_weldon
    jim_weldon Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    For the last four years I have "managed" the pain of shin splints. I have had them on & off since I was in college. Here is what I have tried...

(1) I have tried to run through them. This ended in a Orthopedic Dr's visit. Continuing can result in stress fractures. DON'T DO IT.
    (2) I have downloaded more 'stretching' exercises for shin splints than I care to think about.
    (3) I have bought/tried so many running shoes I feel like Imelda Marcos.
    (4) I have taken to just 'sprint' a few miles instead of running longer distances (which is what I want to do).
    (5) Frequency - this is the only thing that has ever worked. Just since New Year's - I have tried to increase the frequency to every-other-day & now I am in pain with them again.
    (6) Cross-training - I bike a lot to keep my legs strong so I can increase the duration of my runs while reducing the frequency of them. However - I haven't biked Since November & now I have the painful problem again (I will have to stop running next week).
    (7) I have started this program to try and lose some weight - I think if I get lighter - I will not have shin splints as bad.

To reiterate –
    Reduce the frequency (I should only run every three days)
    Increase the duration while slowing your pace
    Cross-train to improve strength in your legs (this will help your aerobic efficiency & allow you to keep the distance up.

I feel your pain, and honestly – there is no cure. Sadly - I find myself jealous of those who can run...
  • jim_weldon
    jim_weldon Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-286--13019-0,00.html

This is just posted on runner's world website - I can now add to the list of things I have tried...
  • LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I got them in high school from marching incorrectly. Ice and ankle braces helped, so did learning to march correctly.

Could you run with someone else to spot you and see if you're doing something wrong???
  • rsalgado
    Options
    Thanks for the GREAT ideas and input! I really appreciate it!
  • rsalgado
    Options
    I get really bad shin splints when I use the treadmill. They mostly occur from trying to go too fast or at too high an incline. If I warm up slowly, I can usually get up to the speed or incline that I want, but I have to be really careful.

I have found that I am much better with elliptical machines or stationary bikes. Any type of equipment that does not add stress to my shins - something about the pounding (even on a treadmill) that disagrees with me.

The other alternative (if you are doing primarily floor exercises) is to do lower impact, but high energy aerobics - basically you can move around as much as you need, but not so much jumping or bouncing hard.

What types of exercises have you been trying? janiebeth

I have been doing jumping jacks and things like that. That was when the pain started. I figured that was what had caused it, but the doctor told me to keep on keepin' on!