Can you lose 70 pounds in 7 months healthily?

Options
newstart1988
newstart1988 Posts: 154 Member
edited May 2016 in Health and Weight Loss

Replies

• BeaUtiful_1413
    BeaUtiful_1413 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I believe you can if you eat healthy and exercise. I've hurd people lose 30lbs or more in 3 months
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    I did but I started at 340 pounds.
  • AvalonsUnicorn
    AvalonsUnicorn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    meritage4 wrote: »

Why don't you start now and see how far you get? Any weight lost is a victory and a step in the right direction.
    This right here is something I needed to hear this week thank you! it's 11 pm here now but tomorrow I will get back on track!

Op what the others said is correct. Take me for example if I tried to lose 70 pounds in 7 week it would never happen. Why? because I only have 90 or so until I hit my goal. But if I were at my sisters high weight a year ago of nearly 400 then defiantly it would have been possible! I hope that makes sense and best of luck!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the time, as long as you change your lifestyle to lose weight every week, time is on your side.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    You can if you have a fair bit to lose. If all you have to lose is 70 pounds I believe it would be unhealthy to attempt to create a 2 or more pound loss a week when you are closer to weight goal. This would have you netting less than 1000 or even 800 calories. Not what I would call healthy
  • violet_wister
    violet_wister Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yes, if your starting weight is high. I've lost 57lbs in 3.5 months but I started at just over 300lbs so I had more wiggle room.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    It depends what your starting point is. I started at 289.5lb and have lost 77.7lb in around 7 months.
  • david19541238
    david19541238 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I lost 80 in 5 months
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    You will lose quickly at first because you burn more calories for your body BMR at a higher start weight. If you lose 1 pound a week it will take you almost a year to lose 50 pounds. But I have heard if a lot of people who lose 100 pounds in a year. So 70 pounds in 7 months is doable depending on your lifestyle and how active you are.

If you have a sitting down job and don't exercise it will take longer. You can do it with diet alone or even with health problems although it would be at a much slower rate. Have you plugged in the numbers on MFP to determine your daily calorie allowance to lose 2 pounds a week? It would take 35 weeks if you stuck to it perfectly. You will still be a lot thinner than you are now if you start and stick with the program. Win/win. This isn't a sprint. It's a marathon.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    Don't worry about the time, as long as you change your lifestyle to lose weight every week, time is on your side.

Yes! Great advice!
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    The higher your weight, the quicker the drop in pounds if you follow the lower calories and add exercise. As for healthy, it is alright for awhile, however, as you drop more and more weight, it is harder to maintain that weight loss pace, and becomes less healthy. For example, I started on March 1st at 308# I placed myself on a low calorie diet (1200-1300) a day..and started riding the stationary bike. I increased the bike to between 60-72 minutes daily. I have kept my calories low..under 1400 for the bulk of this time. I also lift light weights..in the morning, and just started doing that in the P.M. as well. I weight in at 262.6# on May 23rd..a drop of 45.4# in 84 days.

I have also noticed lately, I am more tired as the day goes on. My body is aching a bit more, and I don't spring out of bed either. Of course, I am 57 and that plays a part, but I am thinking I need to up the calorie intake. The dropping of the pounds(results) makes me want to continue on, but the warning signs, suggest, I should adjust my game plan. YMMV and I wish everyone success on their personal journey.