Beginner (sort of) in need of advice

Options
Hi all,

I have been overweight my entire life and have lost/gained weight here and there. I have long been unhappy about my appearance and I am ready to make a complete lifestyle change. One additional motivator for me this year is that I am getting married in 5 months!

I am currently 210lbs at 5'4 and am looking to lose 40lbs before my wedding day. My ultimate goal is to lose 60-70lbs. I am working with a personal trainer over the next six months and I read online about weight loss and fitness plenty. But, I have this constant frustration feeling like I don't know or understand what I am doing. It seems this is a numbers game with CICO but everyone has such different opinions on what has worked for them, it's hard to know what is the best process to follow.

So, I'm curious, what helped you get started? Did you read a specific book or follow a certain website? What made everything 'click' for you? I am trying to understand the HOW and the WHY.

Thank you!

Replies

• AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I've started to love weighing/logging food and meticulously planning my food for the day. Something about nailing my calorie intake down to maybe only 10% error feels awesome.

This has helped me hugely in losing weight..imo, pick a calorie goal, whatever it is, and try that out for a few weeks...see if you lose weight? If so continue, if not, lower it for a few weeks??
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    logging everything
    staying at or under carbs given
    Walking most days

34 lbs down it is working!
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    It seems this is a numbers game with CICO but everyone has such different opinions on what has worked for them, it's hard to know what is the best process to follow.

So, I'm curious, what helped you get started? Did you read a specific book or follow a certain website? What made everything 'click' for you? I am trying to understand the HOW and the WHY.

Thank you!
    The best process to follow is the one that works for you.

The best part of calorie counting is that, for weight loss, all that matters is that you consume fewer calories than your body uses. That's it. People can do low fat or low carb or anything and, as long as they have a calorie deficit, they will lose weight.

The easiest way to stick to a calorie deficit, IMO, is to keep your way of eating as close to your normal way of eating as you can. Eat smaller portions and/or substitute calorie-dense foods that you like with other foods that you also like.

You'll need to experiment to find what makes you comfortable and keeps you satiated.

40 pounds in 5 months may not happen. Any weight loss is a victory, even if it doesn't come as quickly as you'd like.
  • WordWhisperer
    WordWhisperer Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    What worked for me (50 lb in 5 months as of today) is this: math. :)

I know that sounds silly but it's true. Once I finally understood the math, it has honestly been fairly easy.

Let's say your body burns 2000 calories a day just in the process of keeping itself alive (and I'm assuming you know where to find BMR formulas to figure yours for real). If you want to lose a pound per week, you need to eat 500 calories less than this per day (since 3500 calories is a pound). That means with zero exercise, and a 1500 calorie intake, you'll be down 20 pounds by your wedding day.

But you've indicated you want to lose twice that, so you would have to eat at a 1000 calorie per day deficit without exercise. This is probably not do-able. It's just too restrictive for most people, and in this particular hypothetical, unhealthy..

You know what IS do-able though? Adding in some exercise to make that 1000 calorie per day deficit. Is it going to be fun to try to burn 500 calories a day? Mmmm, no. But maybe you eat 1300 calories (700 deficit) and get 300 calories worth of exercise.

I'm sure you were probably already familiar with all this math, but your question was what worked for others, and this is what worked for me. Math doesn't lie. It's a system I can understand and work within. When I know I've gone over my 1440 calories, or I want to hurry the progress along, I'm going an extra lap around the park to keep my deficit where I'd like it.

A fitness tracker helps me guesstimate this information about calories from exercise, and yes I know that's imperfect, but it's close enough that my 2 pound per week target has for five months now consistently ended up at 2.5 pounds per week, or 10 pounds per month.

Based on the numbers you provided, and the time frame you have, I think you should give serious consideration to throwing out the window the whole "you don't have to exercise to lose weight" thing that pops up every two seconds on this site.

While that is a mathematical fact of course, you've got an aggressive timeline for your goal, and I think you should make your goal easy on yourself by committing to at least a daily walk - possibly more, if you don't want to eat at a restrictive deficit.

I highly, highly recommend a fitness tracker.

Good luck!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    @wordwhisperer
    '
    Let's say your body burns 2000 calories a day just in the process of keeping itself alive (and I'm assuming you know where to find BMR formulas to figure yours for real). If you want to lose a pound per week, you need to eat 500 calories less than this per day (since 3500 calories is a pound). That means with zero exercise, and a 1500 calorie intake, you'll be down 20 pounds by your wedding day.'

Ones BMR is the calories one needs just to stay alive. That is not where you subtract a deficit from.

One can use MFP, which uses the NEAT method which does not include exercise.

Or an off site TDEE calculator that does include exercise.

@hilaryannli, use the number MFP sets you for your goal. It works. Eat what you like to eat, just less of it so you are eating to your goal.
    If you decide to exercise eat back 50-75% of those calories back. You need them to fuel the exercise and ward off lethargy in everyday life. You will still lose at the goal you put in if you weigh your food and log as well as you can.

A food scale for solids and measuring cups and spoons will really help with accurate logging.

Keep things easy, it doesn't have to be complicated. All you have to do is eat less. MFP will help you do that.

Cheers, h.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I just started logging my food and stayed at the calorie goal MFP gave me. While the weight was coming off I was studying/reading/learning as much as I could about nutrition, reading food labels, and figuring out what was satiating for me.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    1. Get a FitBit. It will tell you how many calories you burn per day.

2. Buy a digital scale to weigh foods you eat, so you can accurately track your intake

3. If 1>2, you will lose weight over the long term.

Do this for 6 weeks, then tweak your intake/exercise if you're not losing at a steady rate.

In the meantime, if you have questions, come back and ask,
  • ejllewellyn85
    ejllewellyn85 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi, you'll be inundated with advice so I won't write loads.

I think calorie counting is over rated (many people will disagree with that). If you just write down what you eat in a day (e.g. lunch = chicken sandwich) you can pick up on negative trends without the need for the tedium of working out the calorie values of every single ingredient, a lot of which is guess work anyway unless you literally weigh/measure every single component part- which is a bit OTT/unnecessary in my opinion.

Number one tip- get moving. Start slowly. Little & often, & build it up. When you start you may find that even after 10 minutes of exercise your arm hurts whilst cleaning your teeth, for example, but over time the initial pain subsides.

I've lost just over 40 lbs since the beginning of January, & I didn't start exercising regularly (just the odd bit here & there)until mid way through February, so it is do-able :-)

fitnessblender.com is good as (1) unless you want to buy a specific program all of their workout videos are free (2) you have the option of using the exercise diary so you can list what you intend to do in a day & mark each video as complete once done (3) there's no godawful background music (4) you can search the video database by time, difficulty level, exercise type etc. (5) no calorie counting involved (although they do bang on a bit about calorie burn but that's easy to ignore).

Basically it just takes consistent effort to see results, one day of exercise here & there won't do anything.

Good luck!
  • Lenala13
    Lenala13 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    What got me going was to focus more on exercise and healthy eating and finally understand that the changes I need to make have be ones I can maintain for life. So I'm taking it nice and slow. Just trying to live healthier one step at a time. A book that worked for me to get me focused was Lose It Right by James Fell, but go with what works for you.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I have this constant frustration feeling like I don't know or understand what I am doing. It seems this is a numbers game with CICO but everyone has such different opinions on what has worked for them, it's hard to know what is the best process to follow.

These are great questions! You are thinking right in separating the HOW from the WHY. But this means separating the process from the method, as well.

CICO is the process by which weight is regulated. A sustained calorie deficit creates weight loss. "Eat less, move more" is the short and blunt version. This is the WHY, and the process, and the one thing that everybody does and has to do to lose weight, whether they know it or not, whether they "believe" in it or not, and whether they do it deliberately or not.

The method, on the other hand, can be a lot of different things, whatever suits you, your preferences, your lifestyle, your beliefs and ethical points of view. This is where weight management gets individual, where the personal challenges begin. The HOW. Lots of people have success by counting calories, others get obsessed by the numbers. Some people stop eating at a certain time each day, and that works because it stops them from mindless eating. Others snack all day. Some people go low carb, which can help stop cravings for sweet foods. Others miss the carbs too much or lose energy on too little carbs. A good strategy can be to find foods high in volume but low in calories, or it can be to get in plenty of fat and protein.

I've read a lot in the past 2 1/2 years. A lot of "clicking" happened right here in the forums. Losing all the guilt and worry about food and eating has helped me lose and keep off 50 pounds. Food is no longer the enemy. But to give you a list of all I've read wouldn't be very useful, it's better to expose and then address your personal obstacles.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    No specific book or website here. Load of experience though.

The upside of multiple failures at weight maintenance?

Well I know a lot about what doesn't work for me.

My HOW is delaying eating until later in the day, starting with a good amount of protein in the morning, small frequent meals, focusing on hitting a daily protein goal, weighing and measuring food, and regular exercise...starting with whatever I can do and then increasing volume and intensity as I go. I'm goal oriented so I usually have at least a few goals in progress too.

What works for you may be quite a bit different. Yes, you need to maintain a calorie deficit. And I do agree that with an aggressive goal exercise will be needed. But your way of eating may not be much like mine at all.

My WHY is multiple and I expect that is true for most. Being really heavy is physically uncomfortable and tiring. Doesn't look too cute (at least on me). And I'm middle aged and have a family history of weight related disease, specifically diabetes.

You WHY does matter. Doesn't matter though if your why is to be healthy or look good naked; it's determination and consistency that get you from A to B.
  • dawnda1234
    dawnda1234 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have lost 50 pounds in 5 months and have 70 to go. I started with just wanting to eat healthy. I googled healthy dieting and read everything I could about eating healthy for weight loss. The key is to educated yourself and then pick the healthy foods you like to eat and track your calories. You will learn to tweak your diet as you go along. When you feel your ready start exercising. Again the key is to find activities that you enjoy. It really makes you feel better both mentally and physically. I would suggest you stay away from highly restrictive diets that promise quick results. They often result in failure and bingeating. It's so cliche but to loose weight and maintain it you need make a lifestyle change tailored to your individual needs. I hope this helps.