Cardio

Options
What would be the best technique to begin cardio exercise? I had the turbo jam series but i can't get past the 20 minute jam, right now i can't even do that right. Any real suggestions?

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Zumba. Whether you go to classes, use a game system or the DVDs, you can start at your own level and work your way up. The DVD sets even come with different levels and a book with a plan for beginners. And it's so much fun!
  • jav424
    jav424 Posts: 7
    Options
    i went from absolutely no excercising to doing sweating with the oldies with richard simmons it works for me and i can keep up with it. when im done i feel it in my legs and shoulders most. i am trying to find one though that i can keep up with that i feel it everywhere.
  • kappy_hollowell
    Options
    WALK! It's the best form of cardio exercise to build up to other things as running, turbojam, etc...
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    You are going to get a boatload of different suggestions which is great. Best thing to do is try different things. I, personally, like using the Cybex Arc Trainer. I burn 300 calories in 30 minutes and I'm 5'3", 110lbs. Not sure if you are a member of a gym, but there are tons of options out there.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    WALK! It's the best form of cardio exercise to build up to other things as running, turbojam, etc...

amen!!
  • khill381
    khill381 Posts: 4
    Options
    I have been using Leslie Sansone for almost 10 years. I have almost all of her DVD'S.4 basic steps to the program and you cant go wrong, Very uplifting to listen to her make sense of everything. Have all my friends doing it and my kids pop it in too. Hope this helps.
  • cowpacino
    cowpacino Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    do whatever you will do consistently
    it's better to do a mediocre exercise 4-5 times a week then to do the perfect exercise sparingly
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Any of the dance programs will get you moving with tons of fun. Zumba, hip-hop, what ever!
  • smashleymcgee
    smashleymcgee Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Swimming is a great workout (especially in the hot summers), walking (definitely agree with it being a build up exercise), join a recreational league (softball, tennis, soccer, etc.), Wii Fit or other gaming consoles have great games out, push-ups, sit-ups, hula hooping, etc. There are so many exercises to try- why not try them all?
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    are you a gym member? try out different classes and see which one you really like. Also sign up with a trainer. They arent there just to show you how to use the machines, but to exercise more efficiently. If you tell them what you want (lose wgt, get tone, strength, etc) they can come up with a routine for you to do
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options

amen!!

Totally agree! Its best to build a baseline until you're sure of your cardio health. Build slowly... Your body and health will thank you!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options

amen!!

here here...once you get walking, you can feel super confident in trying other things...I personally walk every lunch hour for 45 minutes (and let me tell you my body hated it for the first bit) and I also do elypticall for 30 minutes...you're going to be sore for the first while, that just lets you know you're doing it right...make sure you're sore, not in pain, there's a difference. And get great shoes, it's worth the extra $50 to get a decent pair of runners to walk in!
  • carpar1
    carpar1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone videos are easy to follow, you can do anywhere from 1-5 miles (there are several different dvd's). It is walking (forward and backward) walking side to side, knee lifts and kicks, no difficult moves. If you have on demand she is on there for free now.