Cheat Meals?

Options
I have noticed on here that some people mention "cheat meals." I am curious to hear from people who have been successful, if they do this. If they do, how frequently? I find it difficult to stay under 1200 calories eating only healthy items. How do you squeeze in those special treats now and then? (ie. ice cream, Mexican, Thai...)

Replies

• misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    The company I train with says 80/20 ratio. 80% of the week good, 20% of the week cheat. I do cheat on one meal or snack at least once a week and I have made great progress in my goals.
  • Dahlface13
    Dahlface13 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I give myself permission to have one "cheat" meal a week. Some weeks I actually go over in calories for the day, some weeks I don't. I also try to build a small treat into my calorie allowance almost every day so tonight I'm having a cookie after dinner. I've planned the calories and will still be under my goal. The trick with "cheat" meals is to be able to move on after one meal instead of using that as an excuse to just get back into old habits. That's why I give myself permission to do it once a week, it's not a cheat, it's part of the plan!
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Don't do Cheat meals, If I want something and have the calories I will have a SMALL portion on ocassion. I am one that one cheat would lead to another so its more of a change of lifesyle and portion control.

Also, you do not want to stay under 1200. 1200 is the minimum, unless under Drs orders.

Just make sure you log it all in so you know where you are during the day and can adjust things like the rest of the meals for the day, the amount of water and exercise.

Many do cheat days and it works for them, Good Luck!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I really try not to cheat ever. I don't always succeed, but I find that if I cheat, I tend to fall off the wagon easily and slip into my old bad eating habits.

By "cheating" I mean going over my calories by 200 or more by eating junk food.
  • dosesr4winners20
    Options
    I'm not sure what people would call a cheat meal. My thing is if I get off track, try not to begin with, try to get back on track like no snacking and a well balanced meal for the next one. I mess up all the time. I just know over all I've made huge improvements! To me what's the difference between 1200 or 1220? Have a treat like a sugar free popsicle?
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    i give myself a cheat day once every few weeks. on that day, i dont so much count calories though i do control the portions and eat whatever i had been wanting that week. i work extra hard at the gym to work it off and im good to go. sometimes i will just stick to a cheat meal (last night i had pizza for dinner) and either way, i make myself accountable for it...work it off the next day and move on with my life. ive lost right under 40 pounds so i guess im not doing too bad.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    I go over my calories at least once a week with a "cheat" meal because I want something that is not particularly low in calories an I don't just want a small bite or sip. Plus it keeps my body guessing and I tend to lose weight after cheating.
  • peacestar84
    peacestar84 Posts: 100
    Options
    I don't have a cheat meal per say. I exercise a lot on days when I want to eat something special. I usually exercise 5-6 days a week and eat back most of the exercise calories on 2 days a week. That has worked well for me.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    First, I don't consider anything I eat to be "cheating". For me this implies that I am dieting, I don't feel like I am. I feel like I changed my way of looking at/eating food. I have treats that I allow myself regularly, like sugar free jello pudding, and low fat/cal granola bars. This keeps me on track, while still satisfying my sweet tooth. I never feel "deprived".

If I am at a party and I want to eat the cake or something I will. I work it into my calories, or make sure I exercise that day to cover it.

I really dislike the word "cheat" in reference to food, it makes it sounds like I am doing something wrong, or bad. I am not going to live the rest of my life avoiding ALL sweets, etc. I think if I even tried that I would FAIL, and go back to really unhealthy habits. I just want to make food choices MOST of the time that are good for me.
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I don't go over my calories, if I want ice cream i eat philly swirls sugar free
    they are so good 14 cal there is many ways to get what you crave without
    going over calories. (google ideas check labels at market)
    If you notice most posters who say they have cheat days or meals
    have much lower and slower weight loss than the ones who say
    I dont do it.
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I've gone over now and then but not usually planned it that way.

If I want something extra, that's where the eating burned calories comes in. In two hours I can burn about 1k calories. For me that's two drinks and an ice cream cone if i want it. I don't always indulge but if I decide to, I like to be ready.
  • Dornroschen
    Dornroschen Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have a huge problem with rewarding myself and eating back too many of my exercise calories, so I'm not letting myself do cheat days or meals or food rewards anymore. I get it from my mama. "Oh, I did so well yesterday, I can go get chinese food tonight." "It's so-and-so's birthday, I shouldn't deprive myself or she'll think I'm not having fun." "My mom is visiting, we should celebrate." It's just too easy for those days to get to be too many and then I just fall (roll) right off the wagon.

I'd suggest you limit cheat days to at least once per month if you're going to do it AND only do them if you've accomplished a goal of some sort (inches, pounds, fitting into old jeans, etc). I am rewarding myself by saving the money I would usually be spending on bagels, deli sandwiches, nights out with friends and am going to buy myself new clothes when I need them and a whole new wardrobe when I get to my goal weight.

Regardless, everyone has their own level of willpower...If you can do it and then get right back on track the next day for a continued amount of time and still see a steady loss that you're happy with, then do it!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    I've gone over now and then but not usually planned it that way.

If I want something extra, that's where the eating burned calories comes in. In two hours I can burn about 1k calories. For me that's two drinks and an ice cream cone if i want it. I don't always indulge but if I decide to, I like to be ready.

I do this also on days when I know for sure that I'll be going out to eat or out with friends.
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is a matter of willpower. If you deny yourself everything you love, you may live forever. But why? It's the same with dieting. If it's going to work it has to be a lifestyle change. You have to learn portion control and self control. However if you deny yourself everything you like, you will hate your new lifestyle and it won't stick.

I like looking and feeling better. I also like beer. So far I'm almost forty pounds down by toasting to my success on Friday nights with a lovely Guinness and a reasonable dinner out.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I dont understand the cheat thing myself and i dont know if i do it. I always stay under my calories 1260 a day but if i want to eat something not so healthy i will arrange my food for the day and add more exercise so that it fits in. I havnt indulged too much yet.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day where I eat somuch crisps and chocolate I end up hating it and am not tempted by it for the rest of the week.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    I don't think it is a matter of willpower. If you deny yourself everything you love, you may live forever. But why? It's the same with dieting. If it's going to work it has to be a lifestyle change. You have to learn portion control and self control. However if you deny yourself everything you like, you will hate your new lifestyle and it won't stick.

I like looking and feeling better. I also like beer. So far I'm almost forty pounds down by toasting to my success on Friday nights with a lovely Guinness and a reasonable dinner out.

I agree that it's about portion control, but some people do have serious problems with food addictions. It's difficult to just stop at a reasonable point.
  • vlc1979
    vlc1979 Posts: 227
    Options
    I did really well for the first 7 weeks. Last weekend we were camping and at a bike ralley... Allowed myself a cheat meal at Chili's and paid for it dearly w/ stomach upset!

On Wed this week I ran extra hard b/c my son and I went to the movies for his b-day. I ate popcorn and loved every morsel of it.

Today is my bday and we are going to my fav Itallian place tonight.. So I a going to run before..

I can tell this week that I feel worse then I have in weeks past. I feel bloated.. but maybe that is b/c TOM is coming.. IDK...

Eigther way, it is a week of celebration for me and next week I will get back on track :)
  • emilymiesel
    emilymiesel Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Lol my cheat meal was chipotle last night...I ate healthy till dinner and then chipotle set me 1000 over my daily cals! It was delish tho and I don't plan on going back for a loooooooong time!
  • designerel
    designerel Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I heard it was good to have cheat meals because you don't want your body to get used to a certain number of calories per day. I have a cheat day at least once a week, but that doesn't mean I eat badly all day. Even if I go to a restaurant, I am conscious of the meal choices I make. There is the concept of zig-zagging your calories, and I find for me, it works. There are days I eat back most of my exercise calories, there are days I don't eat them back, then there are days I don't count calories at all (and don't exercise, either) and I find I still lose weight. I think it's important to keep your body guessing.