Question about building muscle

Options
I'm taking a break from counting calories and loosening my diet standards for a little bit. If I continue to do a lot of strength training in the 8-10 rep range this would be a good time to build a little more muscle and bulk up a little bit, right?

I mean you really need to consume more calories than you burn to really grow muscle, right?

Replies

• FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Yep
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Overly simplified but yes, a caloric surplus is needed to add mass.

But protein, fats, carb amount are factors as well as how much of a caloric surplus is needed. The body can only synthesis so much muscle in a given period of time. Eating and providing enough nutrients and calories to build that muscle is important but adding more than that will not mean more muscle will be made. It will simply be converted to energy and used or stored as fat.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Yes. So no excuses, put some weight on that bar
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Options

But protein, fats, carb amount are factors as well as how much of a caloric surplus is needed. The body can only synthesis so much muscle in a given period of time. Eating and providing enough nutrients and calories to build that muscle is important but adding more than that will not mean more muscle will be made. It will simply be converted to energy and used or stored as fat.

When you say 'fats' what do you guys use for good fats sources? I have been using nuts (natural, no oil, no salt etc)
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options

When you say 'fats' what do you guys use for good fats sources? I have been using nuts (natural, no oil, no salt etc)

Dairy, nuts, olive oil, and some accompanied with meats (fish oil is really good) is usually enough to meet minimum requirements without trying to hard.
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Options

Dairy, nuts, olive oil, and some accompanied with meats (fish oil is really good) is usually enough to meet minimum requirements without trying to hard.
    [/quote

Thanks recently started lifting heavier weights and lowering the reps, switching from endurance looks like I am doing it rights cottage cheese, nuts, egg, fish, chicken.

I am planning on a 200 to 500 surplus.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options

[/quote

Thanks recently started lifting heavier weights and lowering the reps, switching from endurance looks like I am doing it rights cottage cheese, nuts, egg, fish, chicken.

I am planning on a 200 to 500 surplus.

Thats a good range. Im trying to maintain a 300 surplus right now. This is my first month of bulking after cutting for a whole year and I gained 3.4lbs. A little more than I wanted but it was kind of a shock to the system when I started eating 500 more calories a day than I had been so hopefully next month will be under 3lbs.
  • Will210
    Will210 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    In regards to fats - I drink a lemon flavored fish oil from the vitamin shop. Not bad at all especially prior to a morning berry shake. I also try to take udos at night before dinner. Not a big fan of the flax seed taste but have heard good things about udos.

I look forward to bulking after my cutting phase. Unfortunately I still have a ways to go (hoping to start in Feb 2013). I will still eat clean but up the protien. Might add a delayed release protien shake for before bedtime or cottage cheese.
  • tommytorquestick
    Options
    Fish , nuts, chicken, eggs... All my favorites, but would natural peanut butter qualify as well? How many extra calories is too much or would that vary too much to really say?
  • Hellguy76137
    Hellguy76137 Posts: 53 Member
    Options

Yes, what he said. To add to that:

Muscular strength comes from sets of 5-8 reps. Muscular hypertrophy(increase in cell size) comes from sets of 8-12 reps. I like to mix mine up and do both. To minimize fat accumulation in the body, eat enough protein, cut our a few carbs, choose healthy fats and keep your calorie deficit to around 500/day. I know you were "throwing it out the window" but who wants to have to burn off excess fat after bulking up? Not me.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options
    Fish , nuts, chicken, eggs... All my favorites, but would natural peanut butter qualify as well? How many extra calories is too much or would that vary too much to really say?

Yep natural peanut butter is usually just peanuts with some salt. It would vary by person but 200-500 is a good range for almost everyone.

If I remember correctly, the average male can synthesis about 1 pound of muscle per month (average). Young lifters and new lifters may be a little higher and women and experienced lifters might be less. So you want to give your body what it needs but not so much that you are gaining a lot of fat along with the muscle. You just have to play around with the calories to find your own sweet spot.
  • tommytorquestick
    Options

Yes, what he said. To add to that:

Muscular strength comes from sets of 5-8 reps. Muscular hypertrophy(increase in cell size) comes from sets of 8-12 reps. I like to mix mine up and do both. To minimize fat accumulation in the body, eat enough protein, cut our a few carbs, choose healthy fats and keep your calorie deficit to around 500/day. I know you were "throwing it out the window" but who wants to have to burn off excess fat after bulking up? Not me.

I just think I need a mental break and my dody needs a break from being in a constant calorie deficit.
  • Hellguy76137
    Hellguy76137 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I just think I need a mental break and my dody needs a break from being in a constant calorie deficit.

I can understand that. Breaks can be good or bad. I would encourage not slacking too much. It could lead to a backslide but if you need to gain some focus and direction, definitely change things up. It breaks the boredom.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

Im big into avocado, eggs, olive oil, walnuts and the half and half in my coffee
  • doddsar127
    doddsar127 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is meant to be used at room temp. I use it as a drizzle. It can degrade during frying or saute. I do not even like it on a pizza; the flavor is too much in conflict with the bright tastes of tomatoes and fresh vegetables and herbs. Instead I use a high quality organic coconut oil. It is a solid at room temp and does not degrade when at high heat. . Surprisingly, the mild taste of the coconut seems to calm down the acid in the sauce. It is also amazingly good with fish... I like mine poavhed or steamed in lemon and orange juice, then served with a pineapple and mango side. Covonut oil is also terrific in homemade barbeque sauce.