healthy food eaters rant

Options
Grimmerick
Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
I consider myself a pretty healthy eater who likes to try different things, even if they look weird they can still be good and if they are good for you then even better!! For instance I like lightly salted roasted seaweed strips from trader joes, I like broccoli sprouts on stuff too. I just feel it is so rude when someone comments on how gross your food looks, I'll be making my lunch at work and a coworker comes up ewww what is that that looks gross. I mean come on, common sense says thats pretty rude, it's even better when they are heating up a hot pocket, or having a greasy hamburger with fries. Just a rant, cause it happened today. Anybody else have this problem, do you keep quiet or do you speak up?

Replies

• natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I have spoken up. I've said simply, "That's so rude." They're usually embarassed.
  • natskedat
    Options
    I have spoken up. I've said simply, "That's so rude." They're usually embarassed.
  • natskedat
    Options
  • natskedat
    Options
    Not quite sure how I answered three times. So, yeah.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Just look at what they are eating and say "ugh, I feel the same way about THAT!" Of course, I usually take the b*tch route on things.
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I've had those types of responses... funny, cause sometimes the stuff that looks the worst, tastes the best! My general response is "It's a good thing you don't have to eat it, huh?" (Or, "It's a good thing you have that [insert food here], then.")
  • dawnrenee567
    dawnrenee567 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I like the 'eww your lunch looks so healthy' (complete with curled up lip)

I just smile and say thank you.

people have no filter.
  • tritta01
    tritta01 Posts: 311
    Options
    Say it may look gross to you, but its good to me...and well to me your "______" whatever it is they are eating looks even more gross to me!! LOL yeah I hate when people say ewwww what is that..
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm not one to keep my mouth shut so I'd probably respond with some snide comment like: "Yeah, but it tastes delicious and isn't nearly as bad for me as that (as I point to what they brought for lunch)."
  • fab50G
    fab50G Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who does that. If it's not something she eats, she makes a face and a comment. Some people are just missing the common sense gene and, instead, received an extra helping of rude!
  • cowpacino
    cowpacino Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    "ew, that's so gross"
    "FINE, I'll share with you"

I just look at what they are eating and am glad that I don't put that crap into my body.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Yeah, commenting on other peoples food is rude. I had a co-worker who did that to me once, so I simply responded with "yep, and I suppose we're all entitled to our opinion." and just stood there and starred at him, he finally said "and opinions are like *kitten* holes, huh?" that's when i walked away, it was rewarding.
  • melzteach
    melzteach Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I usually can't afford or have access to super healthy food. However, sometimes my coworkers will comment on how healthy my food looks. Especially the one that had gastric bypass, and still eats crap!
  • 2ht2hand1e
    2ht2hand1e Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Yes, it happens to me. People say that it looks like rabbit food lol, or that I should order "real" food. I haven't really spoken up, but I have said that I like how it tastes, and I like how healthy and energetic I feel after eating it even more!...I'll take rabbit food over cheeseburger thighs any day haha.

What's difficult for me is when I go out to eat with other people and they try to push food on me. when I say, "No thanks, I'm stufffed." etc., they keep pushing. A friend tried to get me to eat a dessert last week. I knew I was at my calorie goal for the day and I was full from they dinner we had just finished. Usually, I pick at a few small bites and push it around on my plate, but it can be tough! I don't want to be rude, but I also work really hard to keep healthy.

Any other tips from my fellow MFPs?
  • jimmie25
    jimmie25 Posts: 266
    Options
    yeah well, happens to me a lot and usually i answer "yeah, looks gross and has like 400 kcal less than your yucky food. any more questions?!"
  • eillims13
    eillims13 Posts: 18
    Options
    Ya I'll bring tuna in for a snack, or tilapia for a meal (I eat it cold because I really don't want to be that person that stuck up the whole office cooking fish) and I feel like I have to hide in the cleaning closet to eat it because every one comments and says "EWWWW how can you eat fish it's so nasty!"
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    'Ewwwwwww that looks disguisting'

'it tastes quite nice, want to try?'

They will either try it, or say no thanks

I've had quite a few converts to different foods through that.

They pretty much know they will get offered the food to proove my point, so they havent commented since.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I give it right back. I'll tell them I'd rather eat a plant than a dead cow with plastic cheese.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Ya I'll bring tuna in for a snack, or tilapia for a meal (I eat it cold because I really don't want to be that person that stuck up the whole office cooking fish) and I feel like I have to hide in the cleaning closet to eat it because every one comments and says "EWWWW how can you eat fish it's so nasty!"
    I have to apologize because I am allergic to seafood and cant be in the same room with it. I stopped eating in the lunchroom at my old job because of this. I'd go in to see if the coast was clear and the minute I started eating a coworker would come in and heat up fish & I'd have to leave. Being around it gives me hives, eating it makes my throat close up.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    One of the perks of Celiac whenever people comment like that I ask if they would like me to tell them what exactly would happen to me if I ate their *food*. One guy said yes, for 45 minutes I explained what it did to my intestines and what the symptoms of gluten looked like. He just stared and never again commented on my food. Best part? I was eating something on a corn tortilla and that was what he thought was gross. Corn Tortilla. What?!

I'd also suggest a smack upside the head. Rude is rude.