Fully Stocked Kitchen

Options
What ingredients does everyone usually have on hand to keep kitchens stocked? I tend not to add much in the way of spices or condiments to my food, but a lot of really great recipes here require some more ingredients than what I stock. Not including the meats, proteins, veggies and fruits on hand, what do you keep around to whip up recipes? I don't go far beyond the (most basic) of basics: Olive oil, almond milk, eggs or egg beaters, soy sauce, mustard, dried basil, dried rosemary.

Replies

• coolhandkate
    Options
    Oh no! I just noticed the "Stock my pantry" thread with the same question. That's what I get for walking away and not hitting "refresh" before I post. I'll revert to that thread. Thanks for the views!
  • MellyPfromVT
    MellyPfromVT Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    vinegars (balsamic, rice, red wine, white wine, apple cider)
    light coconut milk
    cumin
    oregano
    basil
    red pepper flakes
    light sour cream
    curry paste
    salsa
    chipotles in adobo
    canned beans (black beans and chickpeas)
    canned tomatoes

I always have these in the kitchen!
  • wanna_writemore
    Options
    I buy most of my veggies either fresh or frozen, but I always keep canned tomatoes and canned beans on hand.

What kinds of food do you like or want to try? Ethnic markets often have inexpensive spices if you need to bulk up your spice cabinet. If they come in inconvenient packages, you can recycle jars or buy cheap ones.
  • pjhrt
    pjhrt Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Onions and garlic....I put those in loads of things!
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I have a ton of dried herbs and spices, but my favourite is a curry spice blend I bought travelling in India. I got it from this cute little couple that own a restaurant in udaipur. The wife makes the blend from scratch from a family recipe. It's fantastic, tastes unlike and shopbought stuff and I know it's top quality. I put it in EVERYTHING!!
  • LaSirena29
    LaSirena29 Posts: 84
    Options
    I wrote a blog post a while back on just this subject.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LaSirena29/view/my-pantry-must-have-s-112116