Arch support real or gimic?

Options
I posted this in chit chat as well but thought this might be a better place for it.

So I am a new runner. I've only been at it for about a week. Doing a couch to 5k program. I've been running in my vans. Which have no arch support or any real support going on. Haven't had any pain or discomort at all (minus the ache of worked muscles). Ive been running up and down hills outside. Still, i figured i better get some running shoes. So today i went to a running store. The guy was so friendly. He measured my foot and looked at my arches. He said i have really high arches. Then looked at them standing up and he said they collapse 50% under my weight which is rare. So he recommended an arch support insert with my shoe. So i bought it no questions asked because i want to succeed. When i got home though i started thinking about it and I've never had any pains in my feet or during my runs. Will arch support weaken my arches? Are they necessary if i have no pain? Thoughts?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    "If it ain't broken, don't fix it". If you have no history of arch pain, i wouldn't use arch supports. Vans are perfectly fine if they're comfy. I run in something similar.

Since you have high arches, the bigger issue is Achilles tendonitis and shin splints. If you get pain in either of those areas, don't try to outrun it. :+1:
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    I disagree with poster above.
    Wear shoes with more support and more cushioning than vans. Helps feet, knees, hips etc. as your mileage builds up.

As for arch supports-you bought them now why not try them?

No they will not weaken your foot muscles. I'm assuming you are just wearing them for running.
    Get back to us here in a week or so and tell us how they felt/
  • GoodLittleEater
    GoodLittleEater Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Does the running store you went to have a reputation online or with fitness and health professionals in the area for being honest and good at fitting shoes? You may want to find out. For example, did they recommend you go up a size and a half in the shoe itself so that your toes can spread, or other sound advice like that? Or, If you plan to continue training, it may be worth a second opinion. Good fit by a professional can go beyond protecting your feet. A really good fit can even affect your gait, which is your running form. Proper running form is important for protecting many of your joints while training. Congrats on your new goal and good luck!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So I am a new runner. I've only been at it for about a week. Doing a couch to 5k program.

So you're still at the stage where you're running for a total of 8 minutes?

I wouldn't expect you to get any issues given that you're only running for a minute at a time at the moment.
    I've been running in my vans. Which have no arch support or any real support going on. Haven't had any pain or discomort at all (minus the ache of worked muscles). Ive been running up and down hills outside.

So there are a number of aspects to consider with running shoes, ankle rotation, how your foot lands as you stride, how far you run, what other activities you do, are there any muscle imbalances etc.

The right shoes have the potential to help you, the wrong shoes are likely to contribute to injury.
    Still, i figured i better get some running shoes. So today i went to a running store. The guy was so friendly. He measured my foot and looked at my arches. He said i have really high arches. Then looked at them standing up and he said they collapse 50% under my weight which is rare. So he recommended an arch support insert with my shoe. So i bought it no questions asked because i want to succeed. When i got home though i started thinking about it and I've never had any pains in my feet or during my runs. Will arch support weaken my arches? Are they necessary if i have no pain? Thoughts?

OK, I'm assuming that you bought shoes, and an insert, rather than just inserts.

Personally I'm not a fan of inserts for new shoes. You should be able to get the right shoes without the need to cross-sell. That said, it may depend on the range of shoes they had available.

Whilst you don't have any pain now, there is little point in waiting until you have pain, as the treatment for that will be to stop running for at least a couple of weeks. There are a number of issues that weak arches can contribute to, both around the foot and up to the lower back.

• MeanderingMammal
    Options
    .... did they recommend you go up a size and a half in the shoe itself so that your toes can spread..

I keep seeing this particular point in here, essentially thrown around uncritically and without consideration of the context that the original question implied.

From a personal perspective my trail marathon shoes are a half size larger than my training shoes, as my feet do swell over the course of the long distance. That's a consideration for 18 months to 2 years away for the originator of the thread.

With weak arches, the best solution is to get the correct fit in the appropriate shoe. If the shoe is too big then the arch support will be in the wrong place and the foot will move around, leading to inefficient support and other potential issues.

I would strongly suggest that the originator not make a judgement on the professionalism of the staff based on this advice.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,425 Member
    Options
    Can't recommend anything that works for you. I have flat feet and have been trying special insoles for ages, which always just resulted in hurting feet. When I think of it, I never could wear shoes with anything but completely flat insoles as a child either. Anyway, I've nearly run 1000km now without any special shoes and never had any feet or leg problems with that. Guess this is what I need. I do have very strong feet though and usually walk around at home barefoot or in slippers/socks without anything that could be described as a sole. Just a thin bottom cover, really.
  • Fitamdshiit
    Fitamdshiit Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah I did buy shoes. He brought out three pairs for me to try and I chose Mizuno. It felt the best to me but I haven't run in them yet. Debating on whether or not to take the inserts out or not. Has anyone ever tried a minimilist shoe for running? Like vibrams? Just curious. I've been reading a lot of different things online. I have tried running in the past with asics and an insert. Though looking back I see many things wrong with how I tried to begin. Usually would just run, no walking, and push myself. Which lead to a lot of knee pain, and pain in my feet. So I am taking it slow doing running/ walking intervals and increasing running distance each week. Still, I am really afraid of messing up. I love it and I don't want to quit. Any and all info is very appreciated. Thanks!
  • Fitamdshiit
    Fitamdshiit Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Does the running store you went to have a reputation online or with fitness and health professionals in the area for being honest and good at fitting shoes? You may want to find out. For example, did they recommend you go up a size and a half in the shoe itself so that your toes can spread, or other sound advice like that?

I've read up on some reviews and people seem happy with the store and service. His advice was not to wear cotton during my run because it holds sweat and can cause chaffing. Mostly though he just talked about my arches and feet. He seemed really informed, but I am skeptical by nature. So I really needed to hear more than one person's opinion. :D
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Oh yeah I did buy shoes. He brought out three pairs for me to try and I chose Mizuno. It felt the best to me but I haven't run in them yet. Debating on whether or not to take the inserts out or not.

Mizuno make a good shoe, and as you have the inserts you might as well use them. They do make shoes appropriate for over-pronators, under-pronators and neutral runners.
    Has anyone ever tried a minimilist shoe for running? Like vibrams?

I'd be cautious about what you read online about minimalist shoes, it tends to get a bit zealot driven and they're pitched as a panacea, solution to world peace etc.

Personally I have significant overpronation on both legs, although more pronounced on the right.

My preferred shoes at the moment are Inov-8 Road Claw 275 for road and Race Ultra 270 for trail. Both of those have a reasonably low heel to toe elevation and very limited cushioning, which gives me good ground feel and control at the expense of increased ankle rotation and calf loading.

What I've found is that sticking with a stability/ motion control shoe, Saucony Hurricane, early on helped me to develop as a runner. As my gait and running efficiency have improved I've been more able to go to a neutral shoe. Essentially what's right now need not be the answer for you a year from now,

What would recommend is getting offroad as much as you can as trail running helps a lot with ankle stability, foot and calf strength etc. You mentioned a lot of hills, which will help your glutes, hams and quads.