More Protein, Less Dairy

leem2209
leem2209 Posts: 4 Member
This app has been amazing at highlighting my diet failures and opening my eyes to nutrition.

Currently my protein target is 94g per day and I keep falling short at about 50-60g. So I'd like to increase it.

Days I work are difficult as I do 12 hour shifts and tend to have my 3 meals in work time, so they need to be convenient meals. Scrambled eggs is one way I try to get more protein.

I was thinking of protein shakes but I tend to stay away from dairy as much as possible. If I have a lot of dairy I feel bad!

I've heard protein powder in water is vile! I've thought about mixing with some ice and summer fruits for a nice drink.

What other recommendations do people have?

Replies

• PhilP0wer
    PhilP0wer Posts: 76 Member
    If you feel bad after drinking milk you should consider switching to lactose free milk. It should solve the whole protein drink problem for you. (At least try it for a week or two!)
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Or you can try milk alternatives like soya, almond, coconut milk.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    I cannot use most of the protein powders because I react adversly to dairy.

One of my ways of putting together a protein smoothie is something like this:
    1) plain or chocolate soy milk with hemp seed or rice protein, chia seeds, or peanut butter
    2) one fresh fruit or some frozen berries
    3) lots of greens or any vegetable like yellow squash or cucumber.
    If I do not use Soy milk, I use coconut water.
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    I drink a soy protein shake sometimes and its not bad really. I mix it with water and don't notice a bit difference between mixing it with soy milk.
    This is the one I buy http://www.theproteinworks.com/soy-protein-90-isolate

So far I've only tried the millionaires shortbread and the chocolate silk. The chocolate silk is lovely, the shortbread is ok-ish lol :D
  • ConicalFern
    ConicalFern Posts: 121 Member
    Tuna? Doesn't get more convenient than that. If I'm really low on protein I'll mix it into mash potato or cous cous, and have it alongside another piece of protein (last week I had cous cous mixed with tuna with a breaded basa fillet).
  • chelsea7162
    chelsea7162 Posts: 97 Member
    Soy milk is the best non dairy protein milk as far a protein. I like the Silk unsweetened the best. Maybe Vega or Orgain protein shakes might be appealing? I love Orgain vanilla protein powder and it's dairy free as well as available at Costco. It's pretty easy to get in enough protein if you look around and see what's foods you can eat. A good dairy free yogurt is the Daiya yogurts and they have 7-8 grams of protein per cup and it's also very tasty. Some grains have a fair bit of protein like cous cous, quinoa, brown rice, and oatmeal or similar flakey grains. Beans and rice (add toppings like salsa, ground meat or ground meat substitute, and finely chopped mushrooms/onion) are always good and easy to pre make.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Egg whites and chicken breast. Bodybuilding.com also has a good number of protein powder recipes. Do you prepare your meals in advance and pack them for those shifts?
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    The highest protein to caloire ratio foods that don't contain dairy are egg whites and white fish. Next in line is chicken/turkey/ham. Try going to the health food store or finding a good non dairy protein powder and make protein pancakes or waffles. I like a whey protein and found one that tastes amazing (to me) and I make pancakes, waffles, and clustards with the powder and egg whites and other ingredients. I also like to make a faux protein ice cream with the powder and frozen fruit and a little almond or coconut milk.
  • leem2209
    Egg whites and chicken breast. Bodybuilding.com also has a good number of protein powder recipes. Do you prepare your meals in advance and pack them for those shifts?

I have just started doing this yes. The base of most of my meals are quorn chicken style pieces or quorn mince, green beans and broccoli. I then add a sauce sparingly to add some flavour along with either rice or pasta. Last night I cooked a huge pan of curry with rice and a huge pan of tomato pasta using those base ingredients.

I'm liking all the other comments about dairy alternatives. I do love yoghurt and milk and generally anything creamy! So I will give the alternatives a try. I remember when in Belgium you could buy soya peach milk... Wow that was delicious!

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Consider eating a little less fruit and other carbs so you can eat more meat, eggs, tuna, salmon, nuts, beans.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Cook a couple of roasts or some chicken on the weekend, portion it for your work meals. You can freeze the meat once it's cooked for later on in the week. If cooking isn't your thing, hit up the deli chickens, they're a pretty good deal.

Tuna and salmon packets are easy to take for lunch, throw in a mayo packet and some seasoning and you're set for a quick high protein meal. I'll grab a package of nitrate-free lunch meat and wrap it around some string cheese (40gm protein for the package of much meat, 10-16gm protein for the string cheese).
  • leem2209
    Ok so trying some soya milk... Damn it's nice!
  • Heirgreat
    Heirgreat Posts: 262 Member
    Almond milk & coconut milk- love it higher calcium content than milk- mix it with Protein& greens" (Costco ) lactose free dairy free gluten free- 20 gms protein- 110 cal and only 6 carbs ( plus 1.5 serving greens in scoop) try it tastes great - I'm super picky
  • elgie3
    elgie3 Posts: 23 Member
    Vega or Sunwarrior protein (whey protein makes me break out, so switched to vegan options) w/ almond milk or other plant based milk (or water) + fruit or veg. Also, have you checked out No Meat Athlete? Veg ultramarathoner, so guessing he has his nutrition figured out.
  • leem2209
    elgie3 wrote: »
    Vega or Sunwarrior protein (whey protein makes me break out, so switched to vegan options) w/ almond milk or other plant based milk (or water) + fruit or veg. Also, have you checked out No Meat Athlete? Veg ultramarathoner, so guessing he has his nutrition figured out.
    I'll check that out!