Treats...how often do you have one?

Options
Recently I have been craving sweet things like crazy...Krispy Kremes, biscuits, cakes, ahhh just loads of things!

So my question is, how often do you have a treat? Everyday? Every week? Every month? Never?

I'm not talking about a cheat day or meal but rather a snack (anything up to 300/400 cals roughly) to stop cravings!

Also, is it okay to fill remaining calories up with treat type food?

Replies

• FitFrenchGirl
    Options
    I have 1 sweet a day :) i cant get rid of my sweets.....cause I crave it right after I eat something salty...
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I have 1 sweet a day :) i cant get rid of my sweets.....cause I crave it right after I eat something salty...

Damn! I want your dress!

I eat 1/2 or 1 portion of sweets. i havnt went crazy and had a donut or anything, i want to stay in my calories allowance.
  • McghanK
    McghanK Posts: 120
    Options
    I usually don't have treats unless I am about or on my menstrual cycle. So I guess once month?....lol...Or maybe 1 a week cause those damn klondike bars call my name at night time when I am watching t.v.....lol
  • Chellieee
    Chellieee Posts: 4
    Options
    I would say that one a day is fine (small) or one every day depending on what you have. I'm not sure where to draw the line for me, since everytime I go by the kitchen I take a giant bite of what I see (poptarts, chocolate glazed doughnuts from Krispy Kreme, banana bread, cookies) I think I eat more random bites than I do during a meal!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Recently I have been craving sweet things like crazy...Krispy Kremes, biscuits, cakes, ahhh just loads of things!

So my question is, how often do you have a treat? Everyday? Every week? Every month? Never?

I'm not talking about a cheat day or meal but rather a snack (anything up to 300/400 cals roughly) to stop cravings!

I don't get 'cravings'. IMO, neither does anyone else, but that's another post. ;)

I might have something sweet once every few weeks. And it's not much even then-a square of 80% dark chocolate, a half cup of frozen yogurt, a teaspoon of Justin's organic chocolate peanut butter.

If you give up most simple, starchy carbs, you will absolutely tame your sweet tooth. I lost this weight before, in my late teens (kept it off for over 20 years). At that time, I had a wicked sweet tooth and I went cold turkey on the sweets. I never got my taste for super-sweet things back. Giving in and eating the junk only makes you want more junk--it's a merry go round. Just give it up for a month or two and you'll be surprised how much your tastes will change.
  • flgirlsteph
    flgirlsteph Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Never :( lol because i couldnt stop at just one lol
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I'd just work your treat into your daily calorie budget. Yesterday I had a burger and fries (my biggest weakness), and I made sure not to go over my daily net :) That way, you can have it every day!

A lot of sweet foods are empty calories, though, which can make it more difficult to get enough protein and fiber without going over your daily net goal. But if the rest of your food for the day is great, it should be feasible.
  • ShyBreasts
    ShyBreasts Posts: 91
    Options
    Just found this website guys and girlies!!

I think it could come in handy! :-)

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus
  • Andee08
    Andee08 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Honestly, everyday. I have a horrible sweet tooth and I have to something everyday. It never makes me go over in calories and it is usually just a small serving (like 1 square of chocolate instead of a full serving), but its something.
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I am a skinny cow addict.... I usually have something sweet everyday! I never go over my calories... well almost never =) I just try and work it in around my meals.
  • ATXJudie
    ATXJudie Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I often have a small treat - a mini York Peppermint Patty (they are in the candy bowl at work!) or a small piece of dark chocolate. It is usually around 50 cals, I work it into my calories for the day, and do this a few times a week. But I don't crave the bigger stuff like cake or donuts very often...or ever. Usually something small will do the trick. If I really need something sweet and cold (it is 100 degrees here right now) then I do a fruit Popsicle bar (80 cals) or a Skinny Cow or something like that. Again, staying in my calories for the day. I don't think the occasional treats are really bad at all -- if you stay in your calories and don't overdo it. Everything in moderation right? This is a lifestyle change, you can't deny yourself things like this forever...

I also work in wine and beer at times. But that is another post...
  • MelsDiet
    MelsDiet Posts: 69
    Options
    For me its every single day without fail! I just make sure that I dont go over my calorie goal regardless of what I eat. If I were to stop having sweet things Id crave them so badly that I'd end up failing all together!
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I have a sweet tooth, and the treat I really enjoy - that both fills me up, and satisfies the craving is Orville Redenbacher's Carmel Popcorn.

A whole bag, smothered in melted carmel is 400 calories (5 servings at 80 cal/serving). It's easy, delicious and will take care of that sweet tooth.
  • newme1989
    newme1989 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love treats and tend to have something sweet once aday, I have tried cutting them out full stop but just made me have more.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    It depends, really. I have weeks where I have one treat a day, others when I just don't feel like it.

I just make sure that it fits my calorie limit. Tonight, for example, I had two squares of dark chocolate, grated coconut and pecans (just 6 grams!). I mixed it, put it in the microwave for 30 sec and got some yummy chocolate-covered pecans :love: All for about 200 cals!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    l allow myself to have a little bit (10g) of dark chocolate every day. Otherwise I'm afraid of what might happen. :explode:

There are times when I just can't control myself and I end up eating a donut or chocolate chip muffin. That happens about every 8 weeks or so.

Yes, if you have the calories to spare there is nothing wrong with having a small treat. Small is the key. As long as it doesn't cause you to crave additional sweets.
  • Louiselesley
    Louiselesley Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    i'm pretty much on the wagon of having it when i want as long as i stay under my calorie goal. i have self control though so i can just take one piece of chocolate unlike my mother who has NO self control and couldn't stop until she finished the bar.

i love dark chocolate, jelly & the odd ice cream. although if you check my diary i'm very naughty with the biscuits too LOL
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I have 1 salty treat (chips,crackers,pretzels, stuff like that) and 1 sweet treat( honey buns, ice cream, candy bar) a day:love:
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I have 1 salty treat (chips,crackers,pretzels, stuff like that) and 1 sweet treat( honey buns, ice cream, candy bar) a day:love:
  • drdenise
    drdenise Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have a chocolate addiction, especially dark chocolate.....very dark chocolate. So, I will eat Zone Perfect Dark Chocolate bars, which is nutritional, and very decadent. Or Ghirardelli chocolate squares, usually just one or two. Small number of calories, but enough to snuff my cravings when they occur.