When will riding a bike stop hurting?

Options
My boyfriend bought me a bike for my birthday. I am not very bike savvy, I have not ridden a bike since I was probably 14 so I expected to struggle. Going uphill KILLS ME and KILLS MY KNEES and yes I have the gears changed to make it easier. I was just wondering how long it took you guys to get used to riding a bike again and able to go uphill without having to push your bike :(

Replies

• ozofeliz
    ozofeliz Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    HI, probably you must see if your bike fit your size. Go to a pro bike shop and ask for your right size of bike. If your use cleats change the position in your shoe. Move the cleats and try. Normally, the pain is over the knee, in the joint to the quadriceps.

Juan Antonio.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    it hurts my butt...omg does it ever hurt my butt...maybe try flatter roads to begin with, until your body gets use to it. I know that you just gotta keep chuggin' along until your body loves it.
  • pkpzp228
    pkpzp228 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Never! That's the point. Really though, your knees aside, the stronger you get at climbing hills, the faster you go or you seek out steeper ones.

The whole point is exercise and like any other form of it eventually the pain becomes pleasure.

If you're having knee problems as was mentioned get your bike fitted. Knee problems usually indicate improper toe alignment.
  • albali
    albali Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I bike quite a bit, only for fun and a bit of fitness so not 'serious' biking! Anyway, the saddle is really important! It can really be a pain in the butt (literally) if it's not a comfy one! It's mega important that your leg is almost straight when the pedal is at its lowest point, otherwise that can strain the leg and knee. Finally, the distance between the saddle and handlebars is important. Some people can cope with a greater distance (racing bikes for example where you are leaning forward quite a lot put more strain on your shoulders and arms than a 'sit up and beg' granny-type bike!) So, bless him for getting you a bike, but just check it is actually suitable for you.
    Finally, it will be sore to begin with if you haven't cycled for ages. Going up hills is a great work out but very hard on the legs and lungs, so DO expect to be pushing up some hills to begin with. Keep practising though, as if you keep it up, it really becomes easier the more you do it! Best of luck.
  • georgiajuly
    georgiajuly Posts: 126
    Options
    I was just wondering how long it took you guys to get used to riding a bike again and able to go uphill without having to push your bike :(
    Depends! Winston Salem? Should be possible. Asheville or Boone? Maybe never. If you're feeling like a real neophyte, you should probably do some basic reading on cycling for beginners. I'm an intermediate but very slow cyclist, and I still struggle with hand numbness, and push my bike up some hills, despite significant cash outlays for good stuff. Even when you start with a good bike fit, good saddle, and nicely padded shorts, your butt still has to go through a toughening process if you've not ridden in a while. Good luck!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I would go to a shop to have the bike fitted properly. It sounds like you may have the seat to low. As for not having to push up hills...just takes practice!
  • alslau02
    alslau02 Posts: 64
    Options
    Spinning faster helps some knee problems.
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    Options
    Make sure the bike fits you right...

The seat should be high enough... A good test is when you are on the bike and you have the pedal at the bottom you knee should be almost straight. Not completely straight but slightly bent. It irks me when I see people riding bikes with the seat way down. It can cause back/knee pain.

:)