Cycling - Another goal beaten :o)

Options
2»

Replies

• cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    How did you notice your fitness/weigh loss change as you improved?

My fitness has gradually improved over time; I only started 'cycling to work' at the end of April! I'd already lost 2 stones (28lbs) using MFP by that point. I have now (to date) lost a further 17lbs (45lbs in total.)

Don't get me wrong, the uphill slog is still a slog, but the recovery time is much quicker than it used to be :laugh:

I use Whey Protein (in skimmed milk) to 'feed' my muscles after a ride; 1 x 23g scoop in 250ml of milk.

Most days I'm trying not to to use my exercise calories, but sometimes you just need to eat. My weightloss has slowed somewhat, but muscle weighs more than fat (allegidly,) so I'm OK with that... Besides, it's not the weight that bothers me, it's the inches.

The big bonus for me is I really enjoy cycling. Before April I hadn't been on a bike since I was a teenager. I wish I'd have found cycling again sooner; then perhaps I wouldn't have got up to 20+ stones (280lbs) in the first place :sad:

Fingers crossed, I'll reach my goal weight by November :smile:
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    At work today I noticed my rear tyre had a bulge in it. The last thing I needed was a blow out, so I had to buy a new tyre and tube on the way home tonight :mad:

It was the last thing I expected having only done 855 miles on the bike since new, but hey, one of those things I guess...

New tyre and tube now fitted - guess I'll put it down to experience :grumble:
  • NiallWallace
    NiallWallace Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    What tyre was on?

I find the rears last around 1 to 1.5 thousand Kilometers before being square.
    That's been with Schwalbe Blizzards, Conti UltraSport and Conti UltraRace which are all fitness/training tyres.

Have got a Conti GatorHardshell to go on the back, hoping it will last a bit longer being 20kg lighter now.

First Front lasted around 3000km, I've only put 5000km on that bike so was a whiel ago the change happened, I think the sidewall was showing signs of failure at that.

Edit:

Saw your post on BikeRadar.
    Apparently the Ultra Sports are fairly sticky and changing to higher end tyres can have a 1/2mph improvement in speed.

What have you put on?
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    What have you put on?

I've just replaced like for like (i.e. Conti' Ultra Sports.) I was going to buy a pair of Schwalbe Ultrimo ZX's, but can't justify the cost at the moment...

I'll get a set when I need a pair though I think :wink:
  • doctrk
    doctrk Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I just bought a hybrid bike recently. We have a nice path / trail that goes for miles in either direction. been riding about 6 -8 miles a day. You know i never knew bike riding burned as many calories as it does. cycling beats jogging, esp at my weight. I would like a more accurate tracker to see how far and fast im going. any info helps.
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    I just bought a hybrid bike recently. We have a nice path / trail that goes for miles in either direction. been riding about 6 -8 miles a day. You know i never knew bike riding burned as many calories as it does. cycling beats jogging, esp at my weight. I would like a more accurate tracker to see how far and fast im going. any info helps.

There are several app on the iPhone (if you have one?) I use 'Cyclemeter.'

Alternatively, you could look at a cycle computer (from your local bike shop?)

Cycling is great because it is no impact; great when you are overweight, plus, like you say, the calories burnt are great compaired to other exercise...
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    A new goal I have set myself (now I managed to do the 20+mph on my way to work,) is achieve 20+mph for my homeward journey...

Well, today I was close, but not quite!

These were my speeds/times for today's ride home...

Finished Cycle: 4 Jul 2011 17:11:03
    Ride Time: 38:43
    Stopped Time: 0:36
    Distance: 12.84 miles
    Average: 19.90 miles/h
    Fastest Speed: 27.30 miles/h
    Ahead of Best Ride: 3:58
    Ascent: 305 feet
    Calories: 893

Mile 01 - Average 18.26 miles/h
    Mile 02 - Average 20.25 miles/h
    Mile 03 - Average 19.73 miles/h
    Mile 04 - Average 20.76 miles/h
    Mile 05 - Average 19.20 miles/h
    Mile 06 - Average 20.31 miles/h
    Mile 07 - Average 19.68 miles/h
    Mile 08 - Average 21.14 miles/h
    Mile 09 - Average 20.80 miles/h
    Mile 10 - Average 19.46 miles/h
    Mile 11 - Average 23.52 miles/h
    Mile 12 - Average 20.11 miles/h

If it hadn't have been for a learner driver hesitating at a junction I'd have probably done it too :grumble:

Never mind, tomorrow is a new day...
  • NiallWallace
    NiallWallace Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You probably did do it, GPS accuracy (on phones at least) is no where near as good as a 700x23c trundle wheel :wink:
  • cloggsy71
    Options
    You probably did do it, GPS accuracy (on phones at least) is no where near as good as a 700x23c trundle wheel :wink:

True, but I really like CycleMeter on the iPhone & if I use that for all my trips, then that is my 'yard stick.' Much like bathroom scales; as long as you use the same set of scales every time you weigh yourself, you will always get a consistent measurement!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!