Home Workouts

Options
If you do workout videos and sessions at home , will you get the same amount of results that you get at a gym with workout equipment such as a treadmill or stair stepper etc etc?

Replies

• FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You just have to put in the intensity that you would at the gym . I've gotten amazing results being at home
  • slifter16
    slifter16 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    craziedani wrote: »
    You just have to put in the intensity that you would at the gym . I've gotten amazing results being at home
    With the workout DVDs and all ?
  • hokiemom14
    hokiemom14 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I do A LOT of home workouts because I have 2 young kids and can not always get out. I do p90x, jillian, random ones I find on youtube lol. If I can break a sweat and get the heartrate up for a good amount of time then I'm happy. I've gotten great results at home. I also run and walk with a double stroller so that factors into my workouts as well.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I've done all my workouts at home, usually Fitnessblender.com videos on their youtube account. Seen some awesome results. Down 31lbs and I feel great.
  • aimeetu
    aimeetu Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I love working out at home. Cathe Friedrich is awesome. I also enjoy Kelley Coffey-Meyer because she does 30 minute workouts when I don't have time for a long workouts.
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    You can definitely get results just as well at home, the tricky part is being able to push yourself. I do Jillian Michaels videos that are free on YouTube (she had a 45 min fat buster that almost made me barf the first time I did it!) or full body weight workouts from Pinterest.
  • swissmrs58
    swissmrs58 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Go to FitnessBlender.com there are over 500 free excellent videos for any kind of home workout. They are excellent and highly recommend them.
  • msravenpink
    msravenpink Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love working out at home. I like Jillian Michaels, Denise Austin and lots of Youtube video's. You can get a lot of variety and all in the comfort of your own home. As with anything, if you stay consistent, you will see results. That's the problem that I have, staying consistent and motivated.
  • msravenpink
    msravenpink Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ok, thanks to swissmrs58 post, I just checked out FitnessBlender on Youtube and I'm in love!! They have timed workouts for all fitness levels aaaannnnd they are showing you the calories burned!!! I will start using some of those videos as well. They have a 5 day challenge that I think I will try this week.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I'm much more dedicated working out at home than I was going to a gym. I've lost pounds and inches using DVDs and workouts that are on my cable OnDemand for free.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I workout six days a week, all of them at home (with 3 kids under 4 and my husband always away for work the gym is a pipe dream lol). I stream YouTube through the tv and really enjoy HasFit, blogilates, etc.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Another Fitness Blender user here, I love them so much I bought a couple of their programmes (for $15 why wouldn't I). Adjustable dumbbells invested in. And I run outside too, which is actually better than a treadmill because of the changing terrain, more challenging.

So yes, depending on what you're after, there is absolutely no reason to have a gym membership if you don't want one. The only reason for me to change is if I decided to start using a squat rack or something because I don;t have space for it at home but at this point it's not something I'm interested in.
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 284 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You can get great results from working out at home. I have never been apart of a gym and my weight loss results have all come from me giving it everything I've got all at home. That includes workout DVDs, balance balls, treadmills, resistance bands, and free weights.
  • aquablue_1111
    aquablue_1111 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've worked out at home for years. I don't create my own workouts. I've done P90x, T25 and currently doing New Rules of Lifting. I love all 3 programs. For New Rules, there are some exercises that need the barbell and plates, squat rack and bench press. For various reasons, I don't have those at home and using alternatives. I know that my progress will not be as quick and there are limitations with the alternatives. That said, I am very happy with the results. My hubby hasn't stepped foot in a gym for close to 10 years and has done P90x and T25 too. He recently started calorie counting and shed 20 pounds. His body looks AMAZING and people/friends are constantly commenting on it. We both firmly believe it's because the workouts created a great base for when he finally lost the extra pounds/fat.

I strongly suggest finding a good program as opposed to trying to make one up on your own and investing in some equipment (pull up bar, resistance bands, dumbbells or barbell+plates, etc).