Going over!! We all have done it so share and help others!

Options
Okay so Tuesday June 28th I went over my calories and really I’m not even sure by how many. The reason…?? Because it just happened. Well I normally work out daily and have 30-45 mins of cardio and this day I didn’t. I only have time for strength training and when someone made an awesome Cajun dish at work I ate and yes I ate again. I worked late and had a snack binge and yes I went into the red. I have been on MFP for 45 days and I finally did it and you know what? IT WAS NO BIG DEAL. Now this can’t happen every day I know but when it does I promise the sun will come up the nest day and guess what… it did. I had a good hard work out this morning and I am doing awesome today.

The thing is we are not perfect and some days we humans will over indulge and hit the red. It’s okay and you can still hit your weekly goals etc.. So add what you think people and re assure that person on here today that hit the red that they are not walking around work or home with a big red A on their chest. Whoever you are??? It’s cool and just look for a better day tomorrow and relax today. If you must you could always go on a walk or something when you get home to burn a few..but only if you must.

Replies

• SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    Well said! You are absolutely correct - it happens to us all and tomorrow is a fresh day!
  • jimmie25
    jimmie25 Posts: 266
    Options
    well, your daily goal is more like a guideline (or to me it is..)... So my daily goal is 1370, but if it gets close tp 1500 i really dont care cuz i work out and usually when i go over my goal it's due to "fruit binging" :) so no big deal.
  • pkpzp228
    pkpzp228 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    My advice, your body does not shed fat or pack it on based on calorie intake over a 24 hour period. Sometimes you're over sometimes under, look at the trend.

Health is the goal, not calorie counting. Every decision you make either helps you on your way to your goals of hinders you... making more choices that help than those that hinder is a healthy lifestyle.
  • cmpettey
    cmpettey Posts: 223
    Options
    I've gone over my calories many times. Just a couple of weeks ago my MIL had us over for dinner for someone's birthday. The menu literally was giant cheeseburgers, chips, potato salad and strawberry shortcake for dessert. Unless I wanted to be starving the whole night and hurt feelings by not eating, I had to go over my calories. I usually don't eat all my calories the next day. I'm pretty sure I lost weight that week although maybe not as much as usual. This is a journey for me and not just a destination. If I can't eat at my in-laws because they don't serve the right foods and I'm too afraid of going over my calories, then the diet (or lifestyle change) is not working.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Health is the goal, not calorie counting. Every decision you make either helps you on your way to your goals of hinders you... making more choices that help than those that hinder is a healthy lifestyle.

This is fabulous, I think it is so easy to get focused on calorie counting as the outcome - that is just a tool to help up to the goal of being healthier.
    Eating over one day is not going to end the whole weight loss process. It's not ideal, but like other posters I intend to keep living my life and if that means enjoying a social night out and eating more than I usually would - it's not a big deal. The key thing it to make more of those good choices!
  • HisBeloved65
    HisBeloved65 Posts: 186
    Options
    I appeciate you posting this. I have been on MFP about 9 weeks and on Tuesday was the first time I went into the red as well. I was not feeling good and felt I needed something solid in my stomach more then just chicken and salad and veggies so I had a Arbys turkey sandwhich. I felt horrid for going over but I did log it and the next day came and I was fine. I am glad to know I am not alone! Thank you.
  • agarciatx
    agarciatx Posts: 2
    Options
    I got into the red today also and i didn't mean to. Have you ever ordered something at a restraunt and thought you made good choices, but then you go online to check the calorie counts and either there are no options for the healthy changes that you made to the meal or there is a wide range of calorie information with many variants - so you don't know if you are going too low or too high. It is very frustrating! I mean, i am making changes in my choices and habits, should it be so hard to get a correct calorie count. Frozen yogurt is another tricky one if you get it at an ice cream shop - there is so many types to choose from and they all range in count!!! Ugh!! Sorry for the random stream of consciousness. My stomach is growling and i am tired. off to bed!!!
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I went over today by at least 200cal. I could fret about it or try to sneak in a second exercise, but it's really not that big of a deal. I've been well under my 1800 all week (netting closer to 1500), so the 200 I went over today isn't going to break me. And ya know what else? My dinner date with the boyfriend was long over due and was amazing. I enjoyed every bite of that Mexican food, though I did try to be a good girl. When we went to the movies, I could have totally skipped on the popcorn but I plan to make this a life change. And in my life's future, I'm allowed to enjoy a bit of movie theatre popcorn. Again, I went with a diet soda instead of regular and skipped the candy. I can live with that.

And like you said, the sun will rise tomorrow on a new day. No worries.

ETA: I can totally sympathize about the wide range of calorie counts for foods. We ate at a local place, so no online Nutritional info. I had to just pick an entry for vegetarian fajitas and all the little stuff that comes with 'em. I may have not gone over at all today. Or I might have been WAY over. No way to really tell.
  • amyamadea
    amyamadea Posts: 17
    Options
    I'm not overly fussed if I go over by ~100 cals to be honest.