To drink or not to drink.........Diet Coke

Options
2»

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Diet soda in moderation is fine (IMO). Drinking sweet (or sweet tasting) beverages all day IS a problem I'm sure. This applies to kids who drink juice, or flavored milk all day too. But you're not skipping your water - for diet soda.
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Diet drinks don't have any calories, so no matter how many you drink, they won't directly cause weight gain. There are some studies in rodents that suggest that regularly drinking diet drinks can make you less satiated by sweets (maybe because your body "learns" that they have no calories) and so, if that's true in humans too (a big if), then having a lot of artificial sweeteners might harm your relationship to sweet foods.

I love the lab rat test.. they pump mice with 8 times their body weight in chemical that are remotely found in something and say that it causes cancer.. sure if I pumped myself with 25000 gals of diet coke the chemical MIGHT start to affect me.

HAH, I love this response. It reminds me of when CNN reported that breast milk caused cancer in mice. I was breastfeeding at the time and my brother in law was concerned that I am giving my kid cancer. Really?!!! Ugh.
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    heheh thanks.
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    well said.....Thank you!
  • Ptarmigan74
    Options
    Diet drinks don't have any calories, so no matter how many you drink, they won't directly cause weight gain. There are some studies in rodents that suggest that regularly drinking diet drinks can make you less satiated by sweets (maybe because your body "learns" that they have no calories) and so, if that's true in humans too (a big if), then having a lot of artificial sweeteners might harm your relationship to sweet foods.

I love the lab rat test.. they pump mice with 8 times their body weight in chemical that are remotely found in something and say that it causes cancer.. sure if I pumped myself with 25000 gals of diet coke the chemical MIGHT start to affect me.

I didn't say anything about cancer.