Review for Hungry Girl's Need-a-Fajita Chicken Bowl

Options
jrlenig
jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
This is an awesome recipe, I do not use her site that often cause most of the time I cook for the whole family, but this one was worth taking the time and breaking it apart to put it together for the entire family! The only real differences for us is no salsa verde, and I soften all of the peppers and onions before adding them in. Also I have made this in a crockpot as well.

http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1431

"HG's Need-a-Fajita Chicken Bowl

Bowling for Chicken

We love the idea of big bowls of food for one. But do they have to be fast-food-fatty and high in calories? Noooooooo! Read on for our latest FANTASTIC recipe... the Need-a-Fajita Chicken Bowl!

Ingredients:
2/3 cup cooked brown rice (prepared without added fat)
1 tbsp. salsa verde (a.k.a. green salsa)
1/2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
Squirt of lime juice
3 1/2 oz. raw boneless skinless lean chicken breast, cut into small strips
1/2 cup chopped red & green bell peppers
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/2 tsp. dry fajita seasoning mix
1/4 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
2 tbsp. shredded fat-free cheddar cheese
2 tbsp. (regular) salsa

Directions:
To make the cilantro sauce, combine salsa verde, cilantro, and lime juice in a small bowl. Mix well and set aside.

In another bowl, combine chicken, peppers, and onion, and sprinkle evenly with fajita seasoning. Add 1 tbsp. water and mix well.

Bring a pan sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat. Add chicken-veggie mixture and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through and veggies are tender. Remove from heat, stir in black beans, and set aside.

Place rice in a microwave-safe bowl. If needed, nuke until hot. Top with chicken-veggie-bean mixture and cheese. If you like, nuke briefly to melt cheese. Finish it off with salsa and cilantro sauce. Enjoy!

MAKES 1 SERVING

Serving Size: 1 bowl (entire recipe)
Calories: 386
Fat: 3g
Sodium: 700mg
Carbs: 52.5g
Fiber: 7.5g
Sugars: 6.5g
Protein: 35g

PointsPlus® value 9*

HG Alternatives! Prefer white rice? Use that instead -- just subtract 2g fiber from the recipe stats. And if you wanna save some time in the kitchen, buy precooked chicken strips -- just sprinkle 3 oz. with half the seasoning before cooking the veggies, and then add it to the pan just in time to heat it up. Yay!"

Replies

• MellyPfromVT
    MellyPfromVT Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CorinthiaB
    CorinthiaB Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Save
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Looks yummy!

Using pre-cooked chicken breast strips will also raise the sodium.
  • JennsRAQ
    JennsRAQ Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Yum!!
  • muffin111
    muffin111 Posts: 12
    Options
    I love hungry girl! Perfect for my lifestyle because I'm a graduate student and live alone. She also has a show that comes on food network on Sundays at 1030am I think. I actually haven't made a bad thing from her recipes yet. Thanks for posting this recipe. I haven't tried this one yet and will soon : D
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    oh and I totally make my own fajita seasoning it has way less sodium and it is always handy!
    Ingredients:(this is for 3 uses!)

3 Tbsp. cornstarch
    2 Tbsp. chili powder
    1 Tbsp. salt
    1 Tbsp. paprika
    1 Tbsp. sugar
    2-1/2 tsp. crushed chicken bouillon cube
    1-1/2 tsp. onion powder
    1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/2 tsp. cumin
  • nurse_christieyne
    Options
    bump
  • Biffybeans1
    Biffybeans1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jespop713
    jespop713 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This sounds so yummy!!!
  • nurse_christieyne
    Options
    I have made these, they are soo good. Quck and easy too.