How much weight do I need to lose?

Options
I'm a 5'2, 124 lb girl. I've previously struggled with an eating disorder, so I want to make sure I'm not losing too much weight. Does losing 20 lbs sound like a healthy goal? Thanks! :)

Replies

• ArmyofAdrian
    ArmyofAdrian Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    No, you are at a good healthy weight already.
  • AnthonyX150X
    AnthonyX150X Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    You currently have a BMI of 22.7 and if you lose 20 pounds you would have a BMI of 19.0. You would still be at a healthy BMI if you lost 20 pounds, but on the low end. You could still be healthy if you lost weight, but it's going to take a while because your already at a normal weight. Aim for a loss of 0.5-1 lb a week.
  • munoma1
    munoma1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    maddie1902 wrote: »
    I'm a 5'2, 124 lb girl. I've previously struggled with an eating disorder, so I want to make sure I'm not losing too much weight. Does losing 20 lbs sound like a healthy goal? Thanks! :)

You're actually at a perfect weight for how tall you are. Just maintain this and you're good to go!
  • RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to examine how you feel about your body and monitor that.
    As it's been said above, you're at a "healthy" weight but could still lose and stay in that healthy weight range, however, a healthy mind-set is far more important.
    Look after yourself inside and out! All the best :)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    You are at a healthy weight, and you have a history of ED. It would be a really good idea at this point for you to check in with your health care team, before you even attempt to lose weight.
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    If you don't get encouragement to lose weight, will you do it anyway?
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I would speak to a health care professional before starting to diet with your history.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    (talk to your doctor, then:) You need to recomp. Google this. Set MFP to maintain your current weight, and then pick up heavy objects and put them back down again. Repeat this. Spend any money you were thinking of spending on supplements on a personal trainer and tell them you want to do a "recomp." They will love you.
  • maddie1902
    maddie1902 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the helpful answers everyone :)