Hmm, tomato season! Share your tomato recipes!

Options
augustremulous
augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
The time of year is approaching for amazing tomatoes. I love tomatoes more than anything, and am collecting lots of recipes to highlight their wonderful goodness.

Personally, I've got a day old loaf of some very high quality ciabatta, and can't wait to make some tomato panzanella.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/09/classic-panzanella-salad-recipe.html

Replies

• williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    Options
    Tomato basil and moz with balsamic and sliced hot peppers
  • williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    o0cvd9j1feep.jpeg
    This was yesterday I already have small tomatos
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    yum! Caprese all day, everyday.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I love toast with a bit of avocado and fresh sliced tomatoes on top with a sprinkle of salt. The tomatoes make a good snack great.
  • 64heyjude
    64heyjude Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Love this recipe, but I use fresh tomatoes instead of canned when in season. Just chop fresh tomatoes and roast with the olive oil. I also cut down on the oil.

ROASTED TOMATO SOUP

Ingredients

1 (14-ounce) can chopped tomatoes
    3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1 stalk celery, diced
    1 small carrot, diced
    1 yellow onion, diced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 cup chicken broth
    1 bay leaf
    2 tablespoons butter
    1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
    1/2 cup heavy cream, optional

Directions

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Strain the chopped canned tomatoes, reserving the juices, and spread onto a baking sheet, season with salt and pepper, to taste, drizzle with 1/4 cup of the olive oil and roast until caramelized, about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat remaining olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the celery, carrot, onion and garlic, cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the roasted chopped canned tomatoes, reserved tomato juices, chicken broth, bay leaf and butter. Simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Add basil and cream, if using. Puree with a hand held immersion blender until smooth.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Gazpacho: two or three nice-sized tomatoes. About 1/4 peeled cucumber. About 1/4 onion. About 1/2 bell pepper. One clove of garlic. Throw it all in a blender. Add about 1/4 cup nice olive oil. Water to loosen it up. I like to add vinegar to taste when serving, but you can add it now, too. Put mixture in fridge and enjoy at leisure.

If you chop all this up into tiny pieces instead of blending it, you have another Spanish dish called pipiranas.

Another Spanish dish: pan con tomate (Bread with tomato): toast up some nice bread, and rough-grate a tomato into a bowl. While it's still warm, rub it with a garlic clove. Spread some grated tomato on top. Add some sea salt, if you like.

Or, what was my Andalucian father's all-time favorite way: sliced tomato on a plate, with a slight scattering of salt and pepper. Done.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    This tomato caper sauce is so simple, but it tastes like it came from a restaurant.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/broiled-tilapia-with-tomato-caper-sauce/

tilapia-with-tomatoes-and-capers.jpg
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    Mostly everything I make has tomatoes in it

• bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I like to cut up a cucumber, tomato and a little red onion. Mix in a little olive oil, lemon juice and pepper for a salad.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I love tomatoes fresh out of the garden. The best is a tomato sandwich---sliced tomatoes, a little mayo, on bread. Yum!!!! I also like just fresh slicked tomatoes with mayo, a little salt and pepper. I can make a meal off of them.
  • PearBlossom9
    PearBlossom9 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    crzyone wrote: »
    The best is a tomato sandwich---sliced tomatoes, a little mayo, on bread. Yum!!!!

YES!

I also like to take just a bit of butter in a pan, slice tomatoes in half, and cook them cut side down. Medium low sort of heat. Just so the outside carmerlizes & the inside starts to get soft. I could just eat them with a bit of salt or they go great with eggs.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    This afternoon, I had a tomato, combined with steamed broccoli slaw and onion. Mixed it up with some whole wheat pasta, some watercress, and 2 tablespoons of light honey-Dijon dressing. The tomato was nicely firm, and I sliced it in the salad bowl, so no juice got away from me.
  • moodyfeesh14
    moodyfeesh14 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    tomato pie omg soooo good
  • threadmad
    threadmad Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I love tomatoes fresh out of the garden. The best is a tomato sandwich---sliced tomatoes, a little mayo, on bread. Yum!!!! I also like just fresh slicked tomatoes with mayo, a little salt and pepper. I can make a meal off of them.

YESSSSSS! And I add a thick slice of Walla Walla sweet onion. Eat them only on Saturdays.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    On a slice of dry toast add an ample slice of tomato. On top of the tomato some freshly grated Parmesan and place under the broiler just to melt. Delicious!
  • bellabonbons
    Options
    A thick slice of tomato covered with an ample slice of mozzarella. Over this some fresh basil leaves and pour alittle olive oil over it. This recipe is from a friend in Italy.
  • bellabonbons
    Options
    I love yellow tomatoes.
  • farhinajannat
    farhinajannat Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I like tomato salad made with finely chopped tomatoes, onions, green chilies, salt and mustard oil. We bangladeshis love it.
  • Bghere1
    Bghere1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options

ding ding ding ding WINNER WINNER chicken dinner