Plateau Help, yet again.

Options
eates
eates Posts: 334 Member
I've been struggling with a plateau for almost 10 weeks. I though last week I might have busted through because I lost 2 lbs, but nothing since then.
My workout schedule is usually:
M/F- 45 minutes Bootcamp, 1 hr Zumba (sometimes I switch 45 minutes of Core Fusion in for Bootcamp)
T/Th- 45 Minutes Zumba Toning 45 Minutes Cardio Combo (cardio weights combo class, the cardio part changes each time)
Sat- 1 hour Zumba
Weds & Sun are rest days
My calories were set at 1550, I recently changed my activity setting from lightly active to sedentary (I'm a SAHM) which lowered it to 1400 and my goal is set at 1 lb a week. I still have 25-30 lbs to go.
I've tried increasing my calories and decreasing my calories, decreasing my workouts and increasing my workout and adding in strength training. I'm trying to watch my carbs but I struggle especially because I love fruit so much. I know my diet isn't perfect but it's a HUGE improvement from where I was in January when I started. Any other suggestions?

Replies

• eates
    Options
    Oh, I've also increased my water goal to 10 glasses a day.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    If you made your diary public we might be able to provide you with suggestions.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I wrote this a couple of weeks ago, and it's been generally well received. Have a look, and I hope it helps!

http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Hi i can't see your diary Are you eating to enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also this might be helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/153704-myth-or-fact-simple-math-3500-calories-one-pound-eat

Good luck on your journey
  • shannonkk
    shannonkk Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    2 lbs last week is good.
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    can you tell us what your sugar intake is like...
  • marjen002
    marjen002 Posts: 112
    Options
    I'm obviously no expert. After my first pregnancy when I hit a plateau I tried everything you did too. You may want to try to workout in little chunks throughout the day to rev up your metabolism round the clock (recently read an article about that). Good luck!
  • ses278
    ses278 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Could you be gaining muscle? It seems to do a decent amount of strength/toning. Try to measure yourself and see if the numbers go down even if the weight isn't an indicator. Since starting personal training four months ago I have gained about 10 pounds, but lost 5 inches in my hips and waist.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Take a week or two break. Eat whatever you want (within reason...less might be better than more). Don't count calories or carbs with purpose. Stop exercising completely.

Seriously...I was on a six week plateau...that's what I did (sort of)...and it broke it. I was sick for two days and barely ate (and didnt' exercise at all)...then I ate my maintenance calories for a day or so...then started a 3-5 day zig zag cycle...eating 1300-1500 calories (at 5'7", 184lbs) for two or three days, then eating maintenance or slightly higher for a day or two. No set schedule...no real pattern. A few weeks ago I was stuck at 189-192. This morning I'm 184 exactly.

The prior weeks, I'd been working out religiously, eating clean and within a structured zig zag schedule almost to the calorie. Before that, when I started MFP...I'd been set at 1500cal, and stuck strictly to that for a couple weeks, which I think induced my plateau. A couple week break from it all has done wonders.
  • eates
    Options
    I've opened my diary, I thought i had earlier but I forgot to press save lol
    I was eating all of my exercise calories, then I switched to eating 1/2 (as an attempt to bust this), making sure that my net for the day is above 1200.
    My BMI is 30.1 and my goal is at 1 lb a week
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Just MHO: Your diary looks pretty good. You eat a goodly amount of fresh food. I would try cutting down on some of the processed and prepared food for a week or two and see if it makes a difference. Those foods tend to be higher in salt. Again, just MHO, but it can't hurt to try it.
  • eates
    Options
    I've taken a couple of small (3-5 days breaks).
    I know I'm getting stronger and more fit but I'm not losing inches either. I haven't lost anything from my waist, hips, bust or thighs in 10 weeks :(
  • ifiwasurvampire
    ifiwasurvampire Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I agree with the person that stated about salt. Watch your sodium intake. Good luck
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Hi i can't see your diary Are you eating to enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also this might be helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/153704-myth-or-fact-simple-math-3500-calories-one-pound-eat

Good luck on your journey

So with a BMI of 29...I should set my weight loss at 1lb/wk?? How about my bodyfat which is 18%. Does that factor into it?

BMI is very, very flawed. It only works for a very small range of people that are in the extreme average.

/sigh
  • HollyHask
    HollyHask Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    great article! :smile:
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Thanks! :blushing:
  • eates
    Options
    Natalie- someone else posted that link last time I asked for help & that was what took me to increasing my calories.

It looks like about my only option left is to take a break & keep a super close eye on my sodium...
    Thanks for all your input!
  • vdaniela3
    vdaniela3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    We are in the same place. I started in january and have only lost 24. I've been stuck since the end of march! Increased my calories by 100-200 and seen a difference of a few lbs in a month. I just recently lost another,but that took a whole month to get. So I'm not sure if increasing helped or not. Have you taken an average of your lose? This week makes wk 25 for me,so on average I'm about right at a lb a wk. Knowing that keeps me sane when I don't see a drop in the scale every week. That and taking your measurements. I'm going to start watching my sugar and salt intake to see if it helps any too. But just wanted to comment cause I understand your frustration. Keep with it though,maybe you'll get a "whoosh",that's what I've been praying for,lol.
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    When I joined I lost 6lb in the first 2 weeks at 1200 calories, which was what MFP told me to eat to lose 1lb per week. Then I plateaued for awhiiiiiiiile. I tried a few things, but what finally got me out of my funk was spending a week eating at (okay, around) my maintenance calories. I still recorded everything, but I ate my face off. I was shocked to weigh myself after a week and have not gained an ounce. I've been back at 1200 for about a week and a half now, and I've already dropped 2 lb. My new approach is going to be spending 1 week a month at maintenance to give my body the nudge it needs to un-plateau itself.
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    When I joined I lost 6lb in the first 2 weeks at 1200 calories, which was what MFP told me to eat to lose 1lb per week. Then I plateaued for awhiiiiiiiile. I tried a few things, but what finally got me out of my funk was spending a week eating at (okay, around) my maintenance calories. I still recorded everything, but I ate my face off. I was shocked to weigh myself after a week and have not gained an ounce. I've been back at 1200 for about a week and a half now, and I've already dropped 2 lb. My new approach is going to be spending 1 week a month at maintenance to give my body the nudge it needs to un-plateau itself.

I like the sound of that :)