Do you treat yourself after loosing a certain amount?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    NO.
    Everyday I reward myself. <3
    This. If I want to lose a little more weight, I eat less.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    My treat was hopping on the scale this morning and being almost a pound under my goal weight. Some new clothes are in order as I've just been making do with what was in the closet (years of hoarding various sizes with hopes of one day wearing some of it). Now, everything is too big. @CooCooPuff that sounds like a good plan, I did that a few weeks ago and it's amazing how just a few more calories helps.
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    In order to incorporate important days like birthdays, holiday dinners, etc. into my new way of eating, I already have days where I don't log everything. But that is reserved for very rare and special occasions.

Logging gives me sanity and confidence. Taking a "day off" only helps me get through things like Christmas without losing my mind, it's not a reward.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I have been buying most of my 'new' clothes from a thrift store during my weight loss. When I got to 49lbs down I went out and bought several brand new items. That was a huge treat.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Seeing the changes is my reward.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    If you treat yourself after, what do you have and how much do you lose for a treat?
    I was thinking a stone, for a day off of MFP. :)

I prefer to not reward myself with food. I don't have the best relationship with it so that is counterproductive.

I DO reward myself with a new blouse or dress. Nothing like feeling good in your clothes to stay motivated.
  • mathiseasy
    mathiseasy Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    If you treat yourself after, what do you have and how much do you lose for a treat?

I see nothing wrong with rewarding yourself for all of your hard work. HOWEVER...I would not use anything food-related (such as a day off MFP) as a reward. A day off can easily turn to two, then three, then a week. At least for me.

Treat yourself to something nice but inexpensive: a manicure, a massage. Sometimes I'll buy myself a book I've been wanting.

So much yes to this. I treated myself to a book I'd been wanting to read for the first 15lbs. When I get to the next 15lb I will treat myself to a new sundress.
    I agree that the treat should not be food related or MFP related. For me that would feed into the unhealthy relationship I have with food instead of working to improve that relationship.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Rewards are great, although I don't set specific times for them. A frequent reward is clothes, including workout clothes, which I usually buy at Goodwill! I can get so much more for my $$ this way and I don't like to spend retail $$ when I know it will fit me for only a few months. But, I don't get why a day off MFP would be a reward? Is logging a punishment? Logging helps most people be successful, so why would you reward yourself by stopping what makes you successful?
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    I like to reward myself - nobody else is going to award me any gold stars so I'm going to do it :)

I don't use food rewards, I buy new clothes (lots of workout clothes) or have a massage. My last reward for meeting my running and weight loss goals was a new Garmin. Hopefully these rewards lead to more success!
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I've heard of other splurges such as getting a massage every 10 pounds, etc.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    No, the reward or punishment system holds no motivational power for me.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hi,

When I was losing, I treated myself to a big boost of new self confidence with each ten pounds gone. That to me was the biggest way I could reward myself for such accomplishments.
  • smiles4jo
    smiles4jo Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I often say that when I get to X pounds, I'm going to treat myself to a manicure, but then I get there and I'm so thrilled, that I don't feel the need to reward myself.

I'm currently on week 6 of C25K - I have said that when I complete the program, I'm springing for a pedicure cause my feet will need it by then! lol That is likely a reward that I actually will follow through on!
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    seeing the changes in my body has always been more than enough reward for me. after all, that's why I'm here.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I treat myself to new goals.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I didn't feel "treating" myself would be a good idea for me personally. I wanted to normalize my food and activity choices to where not overeating on a regular basis doesn't feel like a special process dependent on motivation. I wanted it to feel more like a normal habit. I'm also prone to the "good girl/bad girl" syndrome where if I reward myself I'm also more likely to fall into a guilt loop if I don't do as well on some days. Getting out of that guilt loop was one the most important (if not the most important) things that helped me succeed.

I do, however, treat myself randomly just because. With food and otherwise.
  • surprisethekids
    surprisethekids Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I treat myself for every 10 lbs. My treats are rewards to my new, improved self. At 10 lbs. I bought a new lipstick. At 20, a tooth whitening kit. At 30, a pedicure, at 40 new underwear. My most recent "treat" was a professional bra fitting and 2 new bras that fit and look great. I have been neglecting myself in many ways for nearly 30 years, but don't want to make food a reward.

I find thinking about my upcoming treats (next up, a manicure), helps give me something to focus on other than food/the scale.
  • AshleighAnn72
    AshleighAnn72 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I see most people buy clothes as a reward, but I don't see the point in buying until I get to the weight i want... waste of money imo. I get my nails done for bday, Xmas and other special occasions etc.
    I don't really want anything (that's not super expensive anyway).. So food was my know go to option as as a treat lol.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Rewarding weight loss with a larger than normal portion of food feels counterproductive for me. I buy smaller clothes, because I need them!
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say go out and buy a whole new wardrobe but a few pieces that help to show off all your hard work and make you feel good is a great reason to buy clothes.