5 x 5 Stronglifts: Am I Doing This Wrong?

Options
2»

Replies

• eandasher
    eandasher Posts: 25 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Any type of workout you'll 'improve' on and get stronger in terms of being able to lift more weight especially if you are just starting out. I was using the term 'stronger' in regards to "practical strength application". For this I feel body weight exercises such as push ups, pull ups, running, body weight squats are a better use of your time. Those types of workouts are the ones that leave you feeling more exhausted. If you are trying to build more toward endurance muscle you might be better off doing 4 sets of 8-12 reps using 'medium' weight. Being able to lift a lot of weight doesn't mean you'll 'look stronger'. If you look at a power-lifter vs. body builder's appearance hopefully that makes more sense. 4x4's and 5x5's are more bodybuilder style of lifting.

It just depends on your overall goals though. Some type of weight training like calf lifts are bad for you if you run track at a certain point there are diminishing returns. Me for instance I've been training crazy reps / volume for more endurance, but I have fast twitch muscle fibers so this will hopefully help me increase my PR's for heavy weight. That is my running theory I'll see if it pays off tomorrow after 7 weeks of training.

So overall that's my advice read and try different workouts, keep track of what you are doing. See if you are making progress toward your goals. Measure everything that you wanna improve such as biceps, legs, waist, etc. Give any program you start a timeframe, and see if you are improving. Your body will adapt to any type of workout in 2-3 weeks so you should be aware of that as well. You will have to use different amounts of weights, reps, and lifting to keep up a good rate of progression. Hope this helps sorry for any confusion, all the best good luck to everyone :smiley:
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    If you started with either 50% of you 1 rep max, an empty Olympic bar, or some other modest weight and are using great form, you are doing SL5x5 correctly. Don't worry, it's going to start to feel really heavy soon;-)
  • MalcolmX1983
    MalcolmX1983 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    eandasher wrote: »
    Any type of workout you'll 'improve' on and get stronger in terms of being able to lift more weight especially if you are just starting out. I was using the term 'stronger' in regards to "practical strength application". For this I feel body weight exercises such as push ups, pull ups, running, body weight squats are a better use of your time. Those types of workouts are the ones that leave you feeling more exhausted. If you are trying to build more toward endurance muscle you might be better off doing 4 sets of 8-12 reps using 'medium' weight. Being able to lift a lot of weight doesn't mean you'll 'look stronger'. If you look at a power-lifter vs. body builder's appearance hopefully that makes more sense. 4x4's and 5x5's are more bodybuilder style of lifting.

It just depends on your overall goals though. Some type of weight training like calf lifts are bad for you if you run track at a certain point there are diminishing returns. Me for instance I've been training crazy reps / volume for more endurance, but I have fast twitch muscle fibers so this will hopefully help me increase my PR's for heavy weight. That is my running theory I'll see if it pays off tomorrow after 7 weeks of training.

So overall that's my advice read and try different workouts, keep track of what you are doing. See if you are making progress toward your goals. Measure everything that you wanna improve such as biceps, legs, waist, etc. Give any program you start a timeframe, and see if you are improving. Your body will adapt to any type of workout in 2-3 weeks so you should be aware of that as well. You will have to use different amounts of weights, reps, and lifting to keep up a good rate of progression. Hope this helps sorry for any confusion, all the best good luck to everyone :smiley:

bro-science.png
  • MalcolmX1983
    MalcolmX1983 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Abraham-Lincoln.jpg
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Abraham-Lincoln.jpg

Made me think of:

uznoo5l9ydul.jpg
  • AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    Options

You're not supposed to drink the bong water. 4x4 and 5x5 are STRENGTH training programs. Emphasis on... "strength".
  • eandasher
    eandasher Posts: 25 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Yes applying the scientific method to your training is bro science. Saying that you should have goals in mind for why you are training bro science. Having an idea what you are training for is bro science. Saying there is a difference between functional and strength training bro science. Saying that you'll get gains doing any kind of physical training is bro science.

Functional vs. strength training in disabled elderly outpatients.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17251692
    "RESULTS:
    Both groups significantly improved their combined lower-extremity strength (hip abduction, ankle dorsiflexion, knee flexion, ankle plantarflexion, and knee extension) (P = 0.003), but no statistical difference between the ST and FT group gains (P = 0.203) was found."
    Meaning both groups made gains, and there wasn't a big difference in the gains (however these are elderly people with reduced ability to make strength gains as it is)

Effect of strength and power training on physical function in community-dwelling older adults.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12586856
    "RESULTS:
    After baseline was controlled for, the Continuous Scale Physical Functional Performance test total score was significantly greater for the PT group than for the ST (p =.033) and C (p =.016) groups. Maximal strength was significantly greater for the ST group than for the C group (p =.015) after the intervention. There was no significant difference between groups for peak anaerobic power."

I'm saying there are thousands of ways to train there is no 'right way' you have to figure out how to optimize your own results, but that is something you only need to worry about after you are 4-5 years into training.

here are some more sites to check out not all of them are great or medical studies so take them with a grain of salt:
    http://www.shapefit.com/exercise/functional-vs-traditional-training.html
    http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/getting-outside-the-box-the-definition-of-functional-strength
    http://www.schwarzenegger.com/fitness/post/train-muscles-not-movements

Even that last link says "Bodybuilding IS Functional Training!
    For example: Squats, deadlifts and lunges! These are all corner-stone exercise in both bodybuilding and sports (functional) strength programs. The same goes for upper-body training! "

I'm not saying any workout is the best workout, you have to find the best workout for you. This will come with time and learning from mistakes, but you'll learn a lot faster if you keep track of what you are doing, and applying the scientific method to your training. Believe in what you are doing, and expect results in 3-5 months. This is all my own opinion and from 5 years of working out i'm no personal trainer or doctor. Good luck and god bless.

50% Science
    50% Magic
    100% Results!
    55d991f2379e9ed811e37f62205da005.jpg
    831244a52d00e865502dbe9613c09a68.jpg

Edit: Again to answer the original question you're not suppose to be dead at the end of 5x5 as you are not taxing you Vo2 max or hitting your max or target heart rate. As many others have said continue with the program it is designed to get harder as you progress week to week. Don't be afraid to do a 30 minute cardio cool down. Also consider flexing the muscle group you just worked out in-between sets as this will help keep time under tension. :smiley:

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Yes applying the scientific method to your training is bro science. Saying that you should have goals in mind for why you are training bro science. Having an idea what you are training for is bro science. Saying there is a difference between functional and strength training bro science. Saying that you'll get gains doing any kind of physical training is bro science.

Functional vs. strength training in disabled elderly outpatients.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17251692
    "RESULTS:
    Both groups significantly improved their combined lower-extremity strength (hip abduction, ankle dorsiflexion, knee flexion, ankle plantarflexion, and knee extension) (P = 0.003), but no statistical difference between the ST and FT group gains (P = 0.203) was found."
    Meaning both groups made gains, and there wasn't a big difference in the gains (however these are elderly people with reduced ability to make strength gains as it is)

Effect of strength and power training on physical function in community-dwelling older adults.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12586856
    "RESULTS:
    After baseline was controlled for, the Continuous Scale Physical Functional Performance test total score was significantly greater for the PT group than for the ST (p =.033) and C (p =.016) groups. Maximal strength was significantly greater for the ST group than for the C group (p =.015) after the intervention. There was no significant difference between groups for peak anaerobic power."

I'm saying there are thousands of ways to train there is no 'right way' you have to figure out how to optimize your own results, but that is something you only need to worry about after you are 4-5 years into training.

here are some more sites to check out not all of them are great or medical studies so take them with a grain of salt:
    http://www.shapefit.com/exercise/functional-vs-traditional-training.html
    http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/getting-outside-the-box-the-definition-of-functional-strength
    http://www.schwarzenegger.com/fitness/post/train-muscles-not-movements

Even that last link says "Bodybuilding IS Functional Training!
    For example: Squats, deadlifts and lunges! These are all corner-stone exercise in both bodybuilding and sports (functional) strength programs. The same goes for upper-body training! "

I'm not saying any workout is the best workout, you have to find the best workout for you. This will come with time and learning from mistakes, but you'll learn a lot faster if you keep track of what you are doing, and applying the scientific method to your training. Believe in what you are doing, and expect results in 3-5 months. This is all my own opinion and from 5 years of working out i'm no personal trainer or doctor. Good luck and god bless.

50% Science
    50% Magic
    100% Results!
    55d991f2379e9ed811e37f62205da005.jpg
    831244a52d00e865502dbe9613c09a68.jpg

Edit: Again to answer the original question you're not suppose to be dead at the end of 5x5 as you are not taxing you Vo2 max or hitting your max or target heart rate. As many others have said continue with the program it is designed to get harder as you progress week to week. Don't be afraid to do a 30 minute cardio cool down. Also consider flexing the muscle group you just worked out in-between sets as this will help keep time under tension. :smiley:

You're all over the place....

• Lisa_Ookoo
    Lisa_Ookoo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I've just started, and I have to use much lower weights than the app suggests. I'm surprised because I consider myself to be pretty fit from cycling and body weight exercises like push-ups and planks. I couldn't bench press 45 lbs even once.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Lisa_Ookoo wrote: »
    I've just started, and I have to use much lower weights than the app suggests. I'm surprised because I consider myself to be pretty fit from cycling and body weight exercises like push-ups and planks. I couldn't bench press 45 lbs even once.

You are counting the bar (which is 45lbs by itself), right?
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    What a lot of 5x5 newbies also forget ( like I did in the beginning) is to add some warm up sets prior to beginning the 5x5 rep and set cycle... just to warm up the muscles and loosen the joints that you will be eventually stressing... and as much as it may "seem" like you are not doing things right... adding 5 lbs each and every cycle will see you hitting your weight ceilings reasonably quick... what 5x5 will also see you looking into is nutrition... any success you will have in strength will also be tied to your diet and how you feed your muscles... of course these are all going to come into play as you gain in your own weight training experience... welcome to the club... do research... watch videos, read books then buy the T-shirt & drink the Kool-aide :)
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    yep, I've been doing 5x5 for 2 months, started out lifting a mere 15lb fixed weight bar to focus on form and get my strength up, and I only just recently started being able to lift the olympic bar for my overhead press. it was the last one to get there, I'm squatting 95lbs and everything else is somewhere in between, but yeah. no way I could've started out doing everything with the olympic bar.