Bank holiday binging, I feel awful now

Options
n_green_l
n_green_l Posts: 74 Member
edited May 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Started my weight loss journey three months ago, need to lose 26 pounds... I finally lost 21 pounds in total when I weighed myself Friday morning and reached a healthy BMI.
It's the bank holiday... So what did I do? I ate and drank so much :(
Friday was a work buffet, then drinks, then had a BBQ to go to. I had over 4000 calories, sat was another social event and I ended up having around 3000. Yesterday went for cocktails and we got a takeaway as back late. Today I had rest of takeaway for lunch and had a choc croissant!!
Back to work tomorrow and determined to get back on it. I go running regularly now, but that's the first time I seriously fell off the wagon like that and I just feel sick now. Have I completely ruined it? Scared I'm gonna put a stone back on, don't wanna go near the scales.

Replies

• Pam_1965
    Pam_1965 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    junodog1 wrote: »
    Guess when I went on a cruise.

etwg21f1whim.png

On the scale I gained seven pounds, which quickly came off. It was mostly water retention from sodium and not drinking enough water when I was in the heat.

17 days until my cruise, plus 2 weeks in Cape Cod right after. I'm a little worried!
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Don't punish yourself for having a fun weekend. You'll turn it round. I've used the BH to restart after a week of health scare stress. It's hard getting back to healthy ways but you'll do it because it's what you want.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    TMI
  • MeganMcK11
    MeganMcK11 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Progress, not perfection :) you didn't ruin everything. This one weekend will NOT undo your progress over the past months.

Everyone falls off the wagon every now and then. But it's how you recover. Don't punish yourself- because this is just life. Keep living life and allow yourself to have fun every now and then without punishing yourself.

Just get back on and don't look back!
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    It's only a couple of days - no biggie. I just had surgery on both feet Friday, had four bones removed and pins inserted, needless to say I'm not up and about. I absolutely ate some candy and cake as I was in pain and wanted some comfort. I've been averaging maybe 200 steps for each day this weekend, and my calories have consistently been between 2000 - 2700. It's doesn't even come to a surplus of 3500 calories, so I won't even gain a pound. I bet you were doing things and being a little more active when you went over your calories so I suspect you in a similar position.

I think it's important to live while you're making the lifestyle change, and a few days over isn't ruin your progress. I hope you enjoyed the time you spent with friends and enjoyed the food! If you noticed you've gain a few pounds on the scale it's water retention, and that will go away in a few days so no worries.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Started my weight loss journey three months ago, need to lose 26 pounds... I finally lost 21 pounds in total when I weighed myself Friday morning and reached a healthy BMI.
    It's the bank holiday... So what did I do? I ate and drank so much :(
    Friday was a work buffet, then drinks, then had a BBQ to go to. I had over 4000 calories, sat was another social event and I ended up having around 3000. Yesterday went for cocktails and we got a takeaway as back late. Today I had rest of takeaway for lunch and had a choc croissant!!
    Back to work tomorrow and determined to get back on it. I go running regularly now, but that's the first time I seriously fell off the wagon like that and I just feel sick now. Have I completely ruined it? Scared I'm gonna put a stone back on, don't wanna go near the scales.

The only way you have ruined things is if you don't get back on plan. Take this experience and learn from it. During your weight loss were you too restrictive? Did you try to lose weight too quickly and did that lead to a weekend like this? Maybe it would be more appropriate to change your weight loss goal to 0.5 pounds a week until you reach your goal weight.
  • n_green_l
    Options
    I had the biggest of all shocks when I got the courage to step on the scale and saw how much weight i put on, gave me a wake up call.

I've been following the calorie count really well, re-looked at my portion sizes. I've had the odd cheat day occasionally, but nothing like this! Bad thing is I couldn't help myself.. I went running Sunday morning, that's it but better than nothing I guess.

Thanks for all the comments... I'll get back on it tomorrow and do some exercise. Bump in the journey. Still can't help feeling like ive failed myself as I really don't want to put it on again so even more vital I keep going. Thanks all :smile:
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Life happens, enjoy it in moderation then get back and focus. Don't deprive or guilt yourself because you enjoyed a 2 day indulgence. Look at the long term and enjoy life. I always support health and weight loss when necessary for health, but if you're not stepping on a stage or unless your body image is how you make money, there's no reason to stress about a couple days in a surplus.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Pam_1965 wrote: »
    junodog1 wrote: »
    Guess when I went on a cruise.

etwg21f1whim.png

On the scale I gained seven pounds, which quickly came off. It was mostly water retention from sodium and not drinking enough water when I was in the heat.

17 days until my cruise, plus 2 weeks in Cape Cod right after. I'm a little worried!

Why are you worried? Look at @junodogs overall trend. Draw a line from before the cruise to after. She's right on track. I see this graph as good news, not bad!
  • n_green_l
    Options
    Just weighed myself and I've put 8lb on :((((( Jesus Christ. Diet tomo
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    Pam_1965 wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Why are you worried? Look at @junodogs overall trend. Draw a line from before the cruise to after. She's right on track. I see this graph as good news, not bad!

@Pam_1965 No worries. @lorrpb is right, look at the trend. What came on went right back off. Just try to make mostly good choices while you are on vacation and stay active. So much to do in ports and even on ship. My sister and I hit the morning stretch classes and then the fitness center for at least a half hour each day. My biggest challenge is drinking enough plain water. I just forget becuase it is not right at hand. One trip I bought the soda package, but what I usually drank was club soda with lime. Anytime I passed a bar I could just stop and get one, drink it up and move on.